Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

That Pedal Show

What's Hot
hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
Was in B&Q yesterday and whilst waiting for the operator for the big saw to turn up and cut my 5 sheets of chipboard I happened to listen to some of the announcements over the tannoy, y'know, sales schpiel drivel.

And lo and behold it was Mick Taylors dulcet tones trying to sell me a load of crap. Absolutely sure of it........
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    I think he works there, and Dan does the late shift in the warehouse............ they film from a shed in the garden area........
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • dindudedindude Frets: 8537
    "Hello, Mick here, don't miss out on the fabulous set of garden furniture only available this weekend"
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • rsvmarkrsvmark Frets: 1377
    "Dan here. That's amaaaaaaaaazing!"
    An official Foo liked guitarist since 2024
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    It's his girlish giggle, it's a dead giveaway.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    edited August 2017
    I went in the same B&Q and heard Mick's voice on the tannoy so, curiously, I went over to the customer service desk and lo and behold there was That Pedal Show's very own Mick Taylor with a B&Q uniform on helping people with their refunds and general queries. I went up to the desk and said "hello, could you help me, I need decking?" and the bastard said "Hello, Mick here" then leaned across from behind the counter and punched me right on the snot box. 

As I got back to my feet and nursed my battered snozzle I told him that his blue Strat sounded shit and that I reckon he dyes his hair and then legged it. Just as I got to the exit I stopped and shouted out "Mick Taylor is a cunt" and then scarpered across the car park.

I can't belive it, he seems such a nice chap on Youtube, but I guess we all have a darker side. You could't make it up...

12reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    edited August 2017
    I was struggling to find something once in B&Q and was confronted by Mick asking,"Do you want decking?"

Fortunately I got the first punch in....
  • mrkbmrkb Frets: 6768
    I was struggling to find something once in B&Q and was confronted by Mick asking,"Do you want decking?"

But not the first instance of that joke in this thread....
    your coat is over there.....
    Karma......
    Ebay mark7777_1
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • richardhomerrichardhomer Frets: 24797
    mrkb said:

Ah - never visit the Fretboard on your phone when you're out and only half concentrating.... :)
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    I concur that Mick Taylor dyes his hair.  naturally, it on the ginger spectrum.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw

• Three-ColourSunburstThree-ColourSunburst Frets: 1139
    edited September 2017
    Perhaps Mick should use his experience as editor of Guitarist and doing 'That Pedal Show' to turn this into reality.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1dna0.jpg

Seriously, though, it often seems that much of what is said on That Pedal Show about tone is simply the result of confirmation bias, with their knowledge of what they are playing through affecting, perhaps subconsciously, the way that they play, and as they say 'tone is mainly in the fingers'.  These demos would be much better if they recorded something with a looper, than ran the loop through each amp or effect in turn.
  • Perhaps Mick should use his experience as editor of Guitarist and doing 'That Pedal Show' to turn this into reality.

http://i57.tinypic.com/1dna0.jpg

Seriously, though, it often seems that much of what is said on That Pedal Show about tone is simply the result of confirmation bias, with their knowledge of what they are playing through affecting, perhaps subconsciously, the way that they play, and as they say 'tone is mainly in the fingers'.  These demos would be much better if they recorded something with a looper, than ran the loop through each amp or effect in turn.
    That would be a bit boring to watch and listen though ?
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    Demo's are much, much more interesting when the player has no idea what he's playing through so it's purely based on what they're hearing. Then do it again where they can use the pedals. What they prefer is rarely the same when they can see them.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • juansolo said:
    Demo's are much, much more interesting when the player has no idea what he's playing through so it's purely based on what they're hearing. Then do it again where they can use the pedals. What they prefer is rarely the same when they can see them.
    Like the TV program The Voice I guess ;)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 1595
    juansolo said:
    A TPS where they are blindfolded and playing through unknown amps would be interesting
  • I remember a particularly embarrassing episode for Rick stein when he chose a battery reared chicken over a deluxe organic type in a blind taste test.
    i doubt very much you'll ever get a blind test on that pedal show for the same reason even though their setup with the g2 and everything else would make it very easy to do. A £12 Chinese chorus beating out a vintage ce-1 wouldn't feed into the 'mojo'. Like chapman checking headstock angles and sniffing the finishes in the totally legit Gibson vs epiphone Anderson vids.
    I do enjoy TPS though especially the vintage echorecs tape delays etc.
  • mrkb said:

Ah - never visit the Fretboard on your phone when you're out and only half concentrating.... :)
    Same applies to driving.
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7391
    I remember a particularly embarrassing episode for Rick stein when he chose a battery reared chicken over a deluxe organic type in a blind taste test.
    i doubt very much you'll ever get a blind test on that pedal show for the same reason even though their setup with the g2 and everything else would make it very easy to do. A £12 Chinese chorus beating out a vintage ce-1 wouldn't feed into the 'mojo'. Like chapman checking headstock angles and sniffing the finishes in the totally legit Gibson vs epiphone Anderson vids.
    I do enjoy TPS though especially the vintage echorecs tape delays etc.
    OK ok, hold on. This is turning into inter-net-guitar-forum-nonsense pretty quickly.

They have never claimed or set out to be a straight up 'review' show - they said from the start it would always be about having fun, playing stuff they like, and along the way aiming to share stuff they have learned. 

And while it's true to say that fancier/rarer gear is intrinsically interesting, and that they get access to more different stuff than most of us in the course of their 'day' jobs it is also true that Dan has put more than one Mooer mini pedal on a pro board. 

There will be plenty for folk to like or dislike in any channel, but let's not *imagine* reasons to be critical eh? 
    Red ones are better. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
  • Not knocking them at all and your right with the mooer elec lady etc. just pointing out the dangers for experts when they do blind tests
  • Perhaps Mick should use his experience as editor of Guitarist and doing 'That Pedal Show' to turn this into reality.

That would be a bit boring to watch and listen though ?
    Not to mention that that isn't how anyone ever plays in the real world. It's like the anti-U2 brigade complaining  the Edge would sound rubbish without delay pedals; it's simply not the point, but any decent player is playing and interacting with the whole signal chain, whether that's just a guitar and an amp, or through a wah, 2 ODs, a swirly, a delay, a preamp then another delay and a reverb and back to a stereo power amp and umpteen speakers.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    Perhaps we need a Chappers He-who-must-not-be-named rule for TPS dudes too... 
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.