Bakelite pickguard lacquer

GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
edited August 2017 in Making & Modding
I've got an unfinished bakelite pickguard that I want to lacquer lightly and then lightly age. Nitro is what I should probably use, I know, but it's pretty expensive at >£12 for a spray can which seems a bit mad when I'll only use a fraction of it. Anyone any experience of using something like this http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Auto-Car-Clear-Lacquer-Spray-PAINT-Aerosol-ALL-PURPOSE-DIY-INTERIOR-EXTERIOR-/292204508011?hash=item4408bef36b:g:TXIAAOSw0cdZhNET?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Well, to answer my own question and at £3.19 it was worth the risk - it worked exactly as planned. From this  - 
    to this - 

I'm quite happy with how it ended up.
  • TeyeplayerTeyeplayer Frets: 3186
    edited August 2017
    That looks great. What spray did you use in the end was it the one in the link?
    That looks great. What spray did you use in the end was it the one in the link?
    Yes, just used the cheapo stuff - buying nitro seemed like overkill.
  • streethawkstreethawk Frets: 1631
    Great job. 
    Cheers - think I'm done messing with this guitar now - this is the fourth pickguard that's been on it, never been completely happy with previous incarnations - single ply white plastic (warped and looked very vinyl), cheap red tort (horrible), three ply white which I aged (ok-ish). I wasn't too sure about the idea of black but I'm happy with it.