Helix Native

What's Hot
TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3107
Just had an email with a link to the new product page - "coming soon" 

http://uk.line6.com/helix/helixnative.html

"Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• Yep. Guess this means a ramp in PR and a release in the next couple of weeks maybe (as a guess).

Will be demoing for sure.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 12765
    edited August 2017
    I honestly don't understand the marketing goal here - we've already had the announcement, so it seems a little strange to send us all yet another email saying "soon" without any release date. If they had to send out an announcement, surely it would've been smarter to wait until there was a concrete date? For me, at least, it's put a thin layer of frustration over the top of a big ol' lump of excitement.

We're due to start recording guitars and bass for our album shortly, and this could prove to be really useful. I hope they put out a demo version too, because I need to know that it's going to install and run on my very-much-non-standard system before I drop that much cash on it.
    "Mains is ouchy if you get it up you" - Sporky
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • We have - as people who've been following this for months, but not everyone is in that position. Plus plugin hype is pretty common these days, I'd love to see a chart showing sales compared to length of gearslutz thread.

I thought a demo was confirmed but possibly I just imagined it?

• Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22395
    Well I can tell you that things like Gearslutz threads definitely do help with sales.
    We have - as people who've been following this for months, but not everyone is in that position. Plus plugin hype is pretty common these days, I'd love to see a chart showing sales compared to length of gearslutz thread.

True, but the only people who got the email are the ones who are already signed up, and therefore - by definition - already know it's coming :)

I do seem to recall that there's a demo version, but that was when the release was also "sometime around February/March", so we know at least one thing's changed :D
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 3107
    We have - as people who've been following this for months, but not everyone is in that position. Plus plugin hype is pretty common these days, I'd love to see a chart showing sales compared to length of gearslutz thread.

True, but the only people who got the email are the ones who are already signed up, and therefore - by definition - already know it's coming :)

I do seem to recall that there's a demo version, but that was when the release was also "sometime around February/March", so we know at least one thing's changed :D
    no, that email came to my general Line6 account email, not the one I used to register interest 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    TimmyO said:

no, that email came to my general Line6 account email, not the one I used to register interest 
    Ah, fair enough. I didn't get it on my general Line 6 one, but I did on the one I used for the Helix mailing list. I suppose I can expect it to turn up a second time at some point...
  • Coming Soon! The thing that's been coming soon for ages! 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 18966
    Coming Soon! The thing that's been coming soon for ages! 
    Spot on .. it was on the website ages ago and then promptly vanished without trace. I got an email to say I'd get a big discount as I have the POD Farm plugin. Depending on the price I might have a punt but I find Amplitube good for what I need as a plugin.
    My pump-action drivel gun is smoking hot today!
    I'm going to stick my neck out and say it's out tomorrow
  • TimmyO said:

... but tomorrow never comes.
    TimmyO said:

... but tomorrow never comes.
    ...much like your wife ;-) 

Thursday 10th August 2017 
    5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • Not sure what the deal with that email is. I'm guessing it's just standard fare marketing ramp up, considering we'll more than likely drop Helix Native next week.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group / Line 6
  • hubobuloushubobulous Frets: 2110
    I bet Native will drop next week. You heard it here second!!
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • CabicularCabicular Frets: 2204
    With all the anticipation I'm now getting slightly worried it won't make me play like Paul Hindmarsh 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    Someone's jumped the gun .. apparently it's 'soon' ..

http://www.prosoundnetwork.com/new-products/line-6-debuts-helix-native/47777

• duotoneduotone Frets: 309
    Good to know, cheers!

Price for non Helix owners?
  • olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1412
    edited August 2017
    duotone said:
    Good to know, cheers!

Price for non Helix owners?

I think they said $399, so I assume it will be £399.

Lets just hope they don't use iLok.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19927
    I'm hoping that there is some way to control the plugin with a floorboard, maybe the one from the rack.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

• Why do people hate iLok?

It actually winds up being pretty convenient after you've got a large number of licenses and use more than one computer.

This is assuming each piece of software only gives one authorisation - that's not iLok's fault.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
    octatonic said:
    I'm hoping that there is some way to control the plugin with a floorboard, maybe the one from the rack.
    I'd have thought so - you can already configure the footswitches to send Midi commands in Command Centre/Center so I presume (!) that by connecting it to the computer you could use it as a midi source.... 
    Why do people hate iLok?

It actually winds up being pretty convenient after you've got a large number of licenses and use more than one computer.

This is assuming each piece of software only gives one authorisation - that's not iLok's fault.

You can install on up to four computers at a time so long as you own them apparently. iLok is a pain. Firms like Native Instruments have a better system.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7351
    edited August 2017
    That seems pretty useful, most people don't have 4 computers so that's quite generous.

At the end of the day the biggest issue is single license installs - and for those an iLok is pretty useful.

Waves License Cloud, unless I'm not understanding it, requires you to upload your licenses from one computer to the cloud, before you can download them on another - theoretically meaning if you've forgotten to do this and are in a different location to your main computer your Waves plugs aren't authorised.

It's really up to the company to decide how many license installs to grant per purchase.  While multiple definitely suits me best, having a laptop and desktop, iLok is actually pretty convenient for the single license stuff.  
    iLok is brilliant. I can carry all my auths between four locations and not have to worry about shitty challenge response.
    Drew_TNBD said:
    iLok is brilliant. I can carry all my auths between four locations and not have to worry about shitty challenge response.
    Until your iLok key breaks. I have my NI apps installed on two computers and if I need something in an emergency I can just use the online app to install what I need on another computer. Cubase uses a key and if it breaks you're screwed. Software companies need to get real and work out how people operate in the real world.
    Fretwired said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Until your iLok key breaks. I have my NI apps installed on two computers and if I need something in an emergency I can just use the online app to install what I need on another computer. Cubase uses a key and if it breaks you're screwed. Software companies need to get real and work out how people operate in the real world.
    Companies like ableton limit you to a certain number of unlocks. That's the thing that needs to go.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 19927
    edited August 2017
    I love iLok, provided the plugin maker gives at least 2 authorisations.
    Plenty don't, and there isn't necessarily uniformity across a single product line.
    For instance, a Slate Digital give multiple authorisations for all permanently owned plugins except Trigger and they only give one for a plugin subscription. So about half their products that I own cannot be used on my systems without remembering to move an iLok from computer to computer, which is irritating.

I've never had one break on me and now you don't need one to authorise, you can authorise a co outer via iLok protocol.

Waves are highly irritating for only giving one authorisation and despite having spent well over £3k with them over the years I've basically stopped using their plugins now because their sessions are not transportable between my studio Macs and my portable.

Challenge and response is fine for me too.
    I am the juice of four limes.
    Trading Feedback

Yeah the Waves one is fucking annoying. Having to move it from system to system, and actually having to deactivate on one machine before activating on another. Still.... they never used to offer that, so that's a plus at least!

I asked for an authorisation for my Ableton Live install on Monday.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 11890
    Drew_TNBD said:
    This. I've had no problem with iLok and much prefer it to having to install various software managers for different companies. 
    Clarity over quantity.