Helix Native

What's Hot

Comments

• TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    @guitarfishbay ;I haven't used helix yet as a bass amp... wondering if you were to gig it, would you just go direct into pa or do the FRFR thing?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @guitarfishbay ;I haven't used helix yet as a bass amp... wondering if you were to gig it, would you just go direct into pa or do the FRFR thing?

That would really depend on your monitoring and PA situation, and there's no reason you can't send a FOH signal and also have something on stage as your monitor. But the sounds are in it for sure so either way would work. 

I think @fretmeister and @Bridgehouse are the guys who might've tried this.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24251
    Both.

I never run bass in stereo.

So a DXR10 as a wedge for me, and the other XLR to FOH.

But I really like the Helix in 4CM for bass use as well - into my Darkglass M900 and then trad bass cabs. The amp has a good DI too.
  • HeartfeltdawnHeartfeltdawn Frets: 22111
    Ok I just loaded up the S Gear 2 demo and the Wayfarer is killer.  

Haven't even looked up the price of S gear or even what the Wayfarer is modelled on if anything at all... just straight out of the gate that's a lot closer to what I want from an amp sim and I don't feel like I need to reach for advanced parameters, actually I don't even know if there are any.

S-Gear is streets ahead of everything else in my view. I installed the Helix Native demo and just a Rat into a Deluxe Reverb sounded awful. S-Gear just sounds and feels right. 

Disappointed by Helix Native. Running it in the DAW and comparing it to the Fractal FX8, I'm on the Fractal side when it comes to effects. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Ok I just loaded up the S Gear 2 demo and the Wayfarer is killer.  

Haven't even looked up the price of S gear or even what the Wayfarer is modelled on if anything at all... just straight out of the gate that's a lot closer to what I want from an amp sim and I don't feel like I need to reach for advanced parameters, actually I don't even know if there are any.

S-Gear is streets ahead of everything else in my view. I installed the Helix Native demo and just a Rat into a Deluxe Reverb sounded awful. S-Gear just sounds and feels right. 

Disappointed by Helix Native. Running it in the DAW and comparing it to the Fractal FX8, I'm on the Fractal side when it comes to effects. 
    Something's fishy. I've been using both S-Gear and Helix Native all summer on a record and if you're hearing "awful", definitely check your input level. Your guitar tracks should stay in the green; that is, –18 ~ –36dB. Compensate with the output slider.

Not saying you're not hearing what you're hearing, but about 50 big engineers in LA have been using it with great success.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Ok I just loaded up the S Gear 2 demo and the Wayfarer is killer.  

Something's fishy. I've been using both S-Gear and Helix Native all summer on a record and if you're hearing "awful", definitely check your input level. Your guitar tracks should stay in the green; that is, –18 ~ –36dB. Compensate with the output slider.

Not saying you're not hearing what you're hearing, but about 50 big engineers in LA have been using it with great success.
    Agree- they are both excellent plugins but they do different things.
    I'm not hearing anything bad about the Helix- the obvious difference is when you instantiate  Helix the default patches are lower in volume than S Gear, but that is easily remedied.

When I get sounds at roughly the same level and A/B them they are pretty much on par.
    I do prefer the modelling of S Gear for traditional guitar tones but there isn't a whole lot in it.
    We are very lucky to have this embarrassment of riches right now.
  • Is anybody using a NI session i/o (Guitar rig thingy) w/reaper and making it work? 
    Cant do it aaaaaaaarggggh.
    Give a man a fire and he's warm for the day. But set fire to him and he's warm for the rest of his life
  • octatonic said:
    Digital_Igloo said:

Agree- they are both excellent plugins but they do different things.
    I'm not hearing anything bad about the Helix- the obvious difference is when you instantiate  Helix the default patches are lower in volume than S Gear, but that is easily remedied.

When I get sounds at roughly the same level and A/B them they are pretty much on par.
    I do prefer the modelling of S Gear for traditional guitar tones but there isn't a whole lot in it.
    We are very lucky to have this embarrassment of riches right now.
    Yeah, we find S-Gear's about 4dB hotter. It's also appears optimized for signals between instrument and line level—good for some use cases, bad for others.
    Chief Product Design Architect, Yamaha Guitar Group | Line 6 | Ampeg
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'll go on record.... I didn't really rate S-Gear when I tried it. Every single tone I got from it sounded like a small boutique blues tone, even the really high gain stuff and even when using 4x12 impulses. I couldn't get the sort of 5150/Diezel/Mesa saturation that I was looking for from any of the models.

If I was going to pick a software modeller that I'd compare Helix to, it would definitely be Amplitube and Guitar Rig. 
  • Drew_TNBD said:
    I'll go on record.... I didn't really rate S-Gear when I tried it. Every single tone I got from it sounded like a small boutique blues tone, even the really high gain stuff and even when using 4x12 impulses. I couldn't get the sort of 5150/Diezel/Mesa saturation that I was looking for from any of the models.

If I was going to pick a software modeller that I'd compare Helix to, it would definitely be Amplitube and Guitar Rig. 
    S-Gear doesn't have a high gain amp. The closer it comes is the Soldano-esque model. That's a bit like saying you didn't rate a 59 Les Paul because it doesn't Djent 
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2196
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:

I think you're correct regarding high gain sounds from S Gear. On the rare occasions I want a high gain tone I tend to use Kazrog. But I'm not an expert on high gain sounds and most of the time S Gear suits the style of music I play.
    It's not a competition.
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Drew_TNBD said:

I also would agree, it's not a metal or high gain plugin, not without a lot of work... it excels at clean, low / mid gain. I wonder if high gain might be addressed in a future update. But for me I'd rather know that it's quality at what it does verses having way too many options that are not so well implemented. 
  • Yeah S gear doesn't have anything that sounds outright metal - but using a tube screamer sim into the Wayfarer sounds and feels pretty good for tight and crunchy. None of the S Gear sims have that deeper low end big thunk. But I still think they sound good. The clean amp sounds decent too.

Drew_TNBD said:

S-Gear doesn't have a high gain amp. The closer it comes is the Soldano-esque model. That's a bit like saying you didn't rate a 59 Les Paul because it doesn't Djent 
    Yeah I didn't rate the 59 Les Paul I tried either. Just wasn't metulz enuf.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I couldn't play a 50s neck Les Paul the way I wanted...  neck way too huge.  Maybe if you just play thumb over blues licks in one position its very comfy.  Felt like i was straining my hand to play thumb round the back with bigger chord stretches.  Maybe I don't have big enough hands...
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

I couldn't play a 50s neck Les Paul the way I wanted...  neck way too huge.  Maybe if you just play thumb over blues licks in one position its very comfy.  Felt like i was straining my hand to play thumb round the back with bigger chord stretches.  Maybe I don't have big enough hands...
    Actually I *think* my Orville has a 50's style neck.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

There is a degree of variation between 50's and a '59 neck.

• guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2017
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:
    Drew_TNBD said:

You're taller and probably have bigger hands thane me though.  And we play different styles
  • I quite like the simple octave divider on guitar, for monophonic playing into distortion.  It has quite a cool sound
  • Ok I'm really enjoying this plugin for bass. 

I've decided it can't outright replace my Darkglass pedals, as the BK7U in there sounds different to mine, and I like mine a lot.  And my B3K...  But the L6 one sounds good too.

The simple pitch works pretty well for the way I use octavers on bass.  Again I doubt I'd sell my MXR BOD, which is a different sound entirely, but I like the L6 one too.

So that leaves me looking at my Tech 21 gear, which if sold would give me a good fund towards the plugin... I've got a VT Bass DI which I like for really clanky sounds but I don't use those much, and an RBI which I like for grit, but a lot of the time I prefer the DG grit instead...

Still got 10 days left on the trial which I intend to use fully, but I'm now focussing on this plugin for bass sounds.