Recent price increases

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    Recent price increases are due to poor pound, caused by Brexit instability.  I suspect things will get worse before they get better and the way things are going I can't see Brexit happening and the British public will force a new referendum and vote to  stay in..but enough politics. Thank goodness I have all the gear I need (probably too much now) ... I was thinking of getting a Helix LT but not now its gone up by £200!  And full Helix has gone up by £400 based on Andertons latest prices. At those crazy prices, they can keep 'em!  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Musicman20Musicman20 Frets: 2324
    Voxman said:
    Recent price increases are due to poor pound, caused by Brexit instability.  I suspect things will get worse before they get better and the way things are going I can't see Brexit happening and the British public will force a new referendum and vote to  stay in..but enough politics. Thank goodness I have all the gear I need (probably too much now) ... I was thinking of getting a Helix LT but not now its gone up by £200!  And full Helix has gone up by £400 based on Andertons latest prices. At those crazy prices, they can keep 'em!  

Try Gear4Music before they increase. I think I like my separate pedals and amp too much to go Helix, but if I was busier with music and worked less I'd get a Helix.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Voxman said:

Try Gear4Music before they increase. I think I like my separate pedals and amp too much to go Helix, but if I was busier with music and worked less I'd get a Helix.
    Thanks @Musicman20 spotted that just after I posted. I think I have a voucher too following previous purchase with them. Flying home from Mexico later today so will think on this on the plane. I don't really need it so its not an instant buy for me...but we'll see. 
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    we had this on another blog a few weeks ago so before we get into a blame Brexit scenario remember that Thomann operate in a country that is still in the EU, so no Brexit issues and prices there are comparable to the UK - As such they re experiencing the same set of price increases - Likewise prices  in USA stores have risen,  once you take into account import duty and vat - It is not as though they are selling the same Strat, Tele or Ibanez 10 or 20% cheaper - they aren't - Exchange rates are guilty to a large degree but other factors come into play

Don't compare a few guitar price changes to the inflation rates - They are a set of manipulated figures to suit government interest so you think they are doing a good job - If they showed true inflation and the true cost of living, for many then those figures would look bad - The cost of renting, or indeed the cost of buying a house over the last 10/20/30 years has risen dramatically and these figures are not included in the government inflation figures - Same applies for things like car insurance premiums, holidays overseas and many other expenses

The thing is, with brands like EB Musicman, Thomann have always ALWAYS been expensive. I don't know why. I wouldn't even consider paying those prices.

Are we considering the fact that when you go on Thomann, the £ price is shown, which is obviously now going to be higher?

Could be way off target what you are discussing here, sorry!

sorry but I'm confused about what you mean by the 'way off target' so update me accordingly - My statement was more of an overview - I don't have time to compare every brand with every store on every price - But I would imagine the price on Thomann's site for a MM in £ sterling is the price you pay today, which I dare say is more expensive than it was 1 or 2 years ago - I think Thomann actually bill you in Euros, so when you pay on a card the final price is billed by the card company in £ sterling at whatever today's rate is

No I mean I might have been way off target/going off on a tangent! Didn't mean you. :)

What I mean in my rambling post was that the prices on Thomann will be more expensive as the £ struggles on, as we have a poor exchange rate (which you no doubt realise). So whilst we could say 'well Thomann prices have also gone up' as badly as our UK prices have, we would have to see what the euro price was before and after. I think I make sense but not sure!

Thomann do have certain brands that are insanely expensive. I have heard the EBMM dealer in Germany charges full whack for a new EBMM guitar. But then they sometimes have very good Gibson deals. I don't really use them to be honest...I've just noticed.

hope my reply did not come across as having a go - I was just confused or not sure what you were trying to say - but with you know - thanks
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • guitars4youguitars4you Frets: 14186
    tFB Trader
    Voxman said:
     way things are going I can't see Brexit happening and the British public will force a new referendum and vote to  stay in..but enough politics. 
    my gut feeling as well and I've been thinking and saying this for a few months now
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3842
    Only if they do it as a phone in vote on the Jeremy Kyle show...!
     ;) 
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• FreebirdFreebird Frets: 5821
    Voxman said:
     way things are going I can't see Brexit happening and the British public will force a new referendum and vote to  stay in..but enough politics. 
    my gut feeling as well and I've been thinking and saying this for a few months now
    I've been saying it since the day after the referendum  ;)
    If we are not ashamed to think it, we should not be ashamed to say it.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12663
    I reckon the nuclear war between the US and North Korea will have a negative effect on the price of guitars.

*nods knowingly
    Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I always try to get items on sale or used for best value, but one of the few things bought at sticker price in the UK from a store was my Atma, that now has gone up too by about £300.  I am glad both that I have everything i will ever need and have no GAS.
    edited August 2017
    impmann said:
    I reckon the nuclear war between the US and North Korea will have a negative effect on the price of guitars.

*nods knowingly
    Well, guitars will of course become radioactive with a half life of around 52 years.. its not that long really ....

...only about the length of a couple of Joe Bonamassa solos.  
  • Strat54Strat54 Frets: 2368
    When haven't prices gone up? Bought my first proper new Tele albeit a Squier in 1987 from a store in Kilburn for £189. Then in 1989 traded it in for a newly released USA Standard Tele at Roka's which was £425. What's a US Tele now £1340?
    Bought a mint and sadly unplayed 1995 Fender Custom Shop Masterbuilt Tele a couple of months back from the U.S, original bill of sale with it new shows the first owner paid $1995. Today you see new one's for $6000.
  • It'd put me off anything expensive now and TBH, you don't need to spend that much. I like blackstar amps and an ibanez or fender with satin neck doesn't cost too much. Glad I'm not buying, though.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    I just noticed yet another price increase of Yamaha electric guitars. Some places still selling at the old price that was increased in July.

For example, the ubiquitous Pacifica 112V started off the year at just a tad over  £200 then increased to £238 and now some shops are asking £264.
  • mbembe Frets: 1840
    Yet another price increase from Yamaha. Pacifica 112V is now £276 at Yamaha London, PMT and GAK. That's 3 price increases this year that total approximately 35%.
    0reaction image LOL 2reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thomasross20thomasross20 Frets: 4436
    edited September 2017
    Good to record the price rises. The same PRS I got about 3 years ago are approx £4.5k now and were £3.2-3.3k back then. Suhr have also had a big jump for their higher end moderns and standards. Gibson... Jesus...
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited September 2017
    North Korea missing a trick - just think how cheap labour is there - they could undercut their neghbours massively right now...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    They only have to kidnap some luthiers first.
  • They only have to kidnap some luthiers first.
    I suspect they have excellent ones.  Their isolation will have made them tragically low tech so traditional skills are likely strong there.

The tragedy of North Korea, the future for their people if they rejoined the world would be much brighter.
    You are the dreamer, and the dream...