Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Helix pricing - WTF?

What's Hot

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27581
    Sporky said:
    I find it odd that people bother with all the comparison stuff. Buy one of 'em and get on with it. They're all up to any reasonable job.
    I reckon gearheads just like trying gear, and sniffing the corks.

R.
    Being a snob/cork sniffer is a separate thing
    I agree completely - I don't think it's at all cork-sniffy; there are genuine differences between the units.

I also think it's useful for there to be comparison videos and such, the bit that seems odd to me is when someone owns and likes one of them and buys another just to see if it's better. I'm probably reading too much into it but it always looks a bit like people don't want to be satisfied - grass is greener and so on.

Also I tend to find limitations a bit inspiring. If you can do anything then there are too many possibilities. Restrict it a bit and the mind focusses.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • gearaddictgearaddict Frets: 894
    I'm sure this has been said already but just for fun, I added up the new cost of some of the pedalboards on the "show us your pedalboard" thread and I didn't find any that cost less than my Helix LT...even ones with only 4 pedals cost over 800 quid! I feel better about buying it now.  =)

...I wonder what my pedalboard cost? Best not think about it...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775
    I'm sure this has been said already but just for fun, I added up the new cost of some of the pedalboards on the "show us your pedalboard" thread and I didn't find any that cost less than my Helix LT...even ones with only 4 pedals cost over 800 quid! I feel better about buying it now.  =)

Well my pedalboard sale paid for my Helix, a USA Strat and a RG - Good times :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    John_A said:

Yup - I got rid of all the fx pedals that were nice to have but didn't use and it paid for 75% of my helix, which does a shed load more. Since then, got rid of more and it has balanced to zero. 

I'm in a good place now, I have guitars I love, 2 amps I love and helix plus a few other select fx I love. 

All I need to do now is write some decent music in the time I don't have.
  • John_A said:

Sounds like a smart move to me
    John_A said:

Certainly was, it's mad how it all adds up, an expensive power supply, a board and patch cables can get you close to half the price of a Helix before you add any pedals!  When you think of what the Helix does and how well it does it, it's an absolute bargain (other modellers are available):)
  • John_A said:
    John_A said:
    Certainly was, it's mad how it all adds up, an expensive power supply, a board and patch cables can get you close to half the price of a Helix before you add any pedals!  When you think of what the Helix does and how well it does it, it's an absolute bargain (other modellers are available):)
    Well I'm weighing up selling some bass gear towards Helix - problem I have is the pricing structure funnels towards getting HW first.

Selling a bunch of pedals for a plugin doesn't seem as good of a deal as getting a HW Helix and the discounted software. You don't get a HW discount if you pay full price for the software. So it's a very expensive way to go if I did want a HW unit. I'm assuming you can get the discounted plugin if you buy a used HW unit?

I'm not in a rush for it though. Think I'll wait for a few updates first, the lack of resizing on Native is really annoying me. It might be user friendly as a HW unit but I don't like it as a plugin UI at all. There are good sounds in it though.
  • Selling my gear in favour of an Axe FX was the best thing I ever did. I now concentrate on really nice instruments. I have 4 guitars I really love as a result of the money I managed to recoup, very happy indeed!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    I always seem to get shafted on ebay these days. I listed a load of pedals a while back and either couldn't sell them or sold them for a fluffy werthers original and a fly button. Didn't recoup what I paid for my HD500X either.
  • Just ordered a Helix (Floor) and a DXR10 for like £1450 on 2 years interest free finance..... absolute steal if it is even half as good as I expect it to be.

In my old band I had to 2 separate boost pedals (same model) for band use. Both of them had different settings. What I like with modelling is that you aren't just getting all the Amps, Effects and Cabs, but you can have multiple instances as well.

I think its pretty cool that you can have 2-3 (or more) of the same pedal model if you can find an appropriate use age for it.

Now to look in to a couple of them Mission Engineering expression pedals and I should be set for the rest of my life.... or until the next generation of modeling, then it will be time to upgrade!

As previously said before.... this allows me now to focus on buying guitars instead of other more necessary equipment haha
    Just ordered a Helix (Floor) and a DXR10 for like £1450 on 2 years interest free finance..... 
    No messing about there,  Nice one!
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Teetering on a knife edge to pull the trigger....£1044 at PMT for the floor unit (posted) slap £444 down and £600 on the slow n easy....hmmm. Or do I go in to the Manchester store n compare it A/B with the Headrush....
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Helix floor model ordered. Holding you lot responsible for this...I'm now committed.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    You will definitely regret it.

;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7801
    siraxeman said:

Helix floor model ordered. Holding you lot responsible for this...I'm now committed.

Spend time with it. Don't expect immediate results to be amazing. Avoid the presets. Play with settings especially pad and auto impedance.

I took nearly the full 30 days to bond with mine and get it working as I wanted. 

My only real tip is stereo (not dual) cabs with a smudge of reverb before the cab on one side if you want an airy feel. 
    edited August 2017

I'm not expecting to use it live, just a toy for home and home studio. I'm sure  it'll find its way to a rehearsal and go direct into PA as well. Anyone wanna buy a minty GT-100 ?? :-)

• fnptfnpt Frets: 735
    siraxeman said:

Spend time with it. Don't expect immediate results to be amazing. Avoid the presets. Play with settings especially pad and auto impedance.

I took nearly the full 30 days to bond with mine and get it working as I wanted. 

My only real tip is stereo (not dual) cabs with a smudge of reverb before the cab on one side if you want an airy feel. 
    Could you please elaborate a bit please? I usually resort to dual cabs.
    ____
    "You don't know what you've got till the whole thing's gone. The days are dark and the road is long."
  • x-valves4everx-valves4ever Frets: 104
    edited September 2017
    I received my Helix, floor version, this week and it is impressive in both construction & sounds. I'm 70 and have been gigging since 1958 so I've been round the block a few times. The Helix seems to cover just about everything I need and does it well. Having owned every amp and effect ever made more or less over the years I can vouch that the H is up to the job. I ignored the presets and went straight to getting my own requirements, dead easy, didn't need the manual to figure it out....there are divided opinions on this unit and others as well, but the proof of the pudding is in the eating. If you haven't owned it or tried one properly then it is difficult to be informed. Of course the Helix won't suit everybody and I have retained a few pedals myself, but for a one box job at the price it will take some beating.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 5reaction image Wisdom
    edited September 2017
    Mr valves4ever, but the Helix is digital?  You needs a new username methinks.  ;)
  • siraxeman said:
    Mr valves4ever, but the Helix is digital?  You needs a new username methinks.  ;)
    ...nice thought but I've had it so,long I'll just carry on to the chequered flag of death...