Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

one guitar to rule them all

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• The thing with the yammy is, they're so bargaintastic, you could get one used cheap enough to replace the neck down the line to a shape you're more comfortable with - there should be plenty of luthiers who could do it :)
    Fretwired;166612" said:
    Amazing!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • @nickp

Certainly a wide variety of tones available from them
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    edited February 2014
    ICBM said:
    A PRS SE with a Duncan P-Rails in the neck and a higher-output humbucker in the bridge, plus a split to give either the inner or outer coils - you can do this with two push-pull pots, or a 3-way mini-switch - will give you pretty much what you want without routing for a third pickup.
    Didn't the (full fat, USA) PRS Johnny Hiland signature model come pretty close to this sort of functionality? 

As I recall it had a trick (asymmetric coil split?) bridge pickup which could get Pretty Damned Close to a Fender single coil sound, a more conventional neck pickup and some clever wiring which let it go all the way from Nashville twang to Clapton woman-tone via cool jazz with just two knobs, a three-way switch, and a push-pull on the tone control. Not sure what sort of price they go for (not many around for some reason - don't know why because it was a stonking guitar) but it's probably one of the PRS models which has most appeal to me...

Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • SG2000 has the best access to high frets that I've ever come across, and it is a very versatile guitar sounds-wise. Consider it.
    Or if the 2000 is a bit pricey, try the 1000. Same shape, you might give away a bit of sustain for the bolt-on neck (as opposed to the 2000's thru-neck). not sure if s/h price is within your budget though but worth checking out
    Assuming all SG1000s are the same, mine has a glued in neck like an LP but with great upper fret access.  Sorry, not for sale though.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    There's an SG800 - a rare model just a little more basic than the 1000 - for sale in the shop I work for at the moment. It's very nice...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• munkymunky Frets: 9
    I have a Pacifica 510v for sale at the moment - I'm sure you could get a neck pickup fitted? Otherwise it ticks your boxes...
  • @Islandape sorry! I should have said set neck.
    "Working" software has only unobserved bugs. (Parroty Error: Pieces of Nine! Pieces of Nine!)
    Seriously: If you value it, take/fetch it yourself
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17604
    tFB Trader
    Pacifica 812 is indeed a beast of a guitar for naff all money. 

I have a PRS Singlecut and the top fret access is really good. 
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27457
    ICBM said:
     Duncan P-Rails
    A pair of those would give you most (?) sounds that you'd need, and could be easily retro-fitted into any twinHB guitar, which might make it easier to find a guitar that works for you, and then just swap the p'ups.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • HAL9000HAL9000 Frets: 9663
    edited February 2014
    As far as I can see,  pair of P-rails gives you something like 15 pickup combinations... 

HB HB 
    HB P90 
    HB S 
    HB Off 
    P90 HB 
    P90 P90 
    P90 S 
    P90 Off 
    S HB 
    S P90 
    S S 
    S Off 
    Off HB 
    Off P90 
    Off S 

That would be very versatile indeed. I'm not sure but guess the wiring/switching arrangements could be on the difficult side?
    I play guitar because I enjoy it rather than because I’m any good at it
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72311
    HAL9000 said:
    That would be very versatile indeed. I'm not sure but guess the wiring/switching arrangements could be on the difficult side?
    No, not really - or rather, it could be complicated to wire up but would be simple to use. The easiest way is to use the Duncan switching rings for the pickups, but a lot of people find them ugly or a bit fiddly in use.

An easier way is to decide which out of the two humbucking options you want - series or parallel - and then you can use two push-pull (or push-push) switches as a coil split switch and an inner/outer coil switch, which gives nine options. Or if you don't mind drilling the guitar you could fit two three-way minswitches which would give you those options independently, which is maybe easier to use on the fly.

You definitely don't have to use two P-Rails either, one in the neck combined with a normal higher-power splittable humbucker in the bridge would actually give you more different sounds.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• nickpnickp Frets: 183
    as usual guys you have outdone yourselves :)

general direction sorted - to those offering sales of various geetars - that'll have to wait until a few more gigs have been done and a few more forty quids have been stuck in the back pocket to fund the base guitar.

that was interesting :):)
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28337
    HAL9000 said:
    As far as I can see,  pair of P-rails gives you something like 15 pickup combinations... 

HB HB 
    HB P90 
    HB S 
    HB Off 
    P90 HB 
    P90 P90 
    P90 S 
    P90 Off 
    S HB 
    S P90 
    S S 
    S Off 
    Off HB 
    Off P90 
    Off S 

I did the 'everything' switching with mine, but didn't like it. Too fiddly to change, not everything was 'that' distinctive to my ears, couldn't remember where I was sometimes and couldn't see the mini-switches on the pups without glasses on to remind me.

Swapped to 3 positions only - P90 neck, 2scs in the middle and humbucker bridge. I LOVE it like this!! best guitar ever!
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    axisus said:
    I did the 'everything' switching with mine, but didn't like it. Too fiddly to change, not everything was 'that' distinctive to my ears, couldn't remember where I was sometimes and couldn't see the mini-switches on the pups without glasses on to remind me.

Swapped to 3 positions only - P90 neck, 2scs in the middle and humbucker bridge. I LOVE it like this!! best guitar ever!
    I always assumed that the S-D triple shot pickup ring switching gadgets weren't really intended for "on the fly" gigging use and that in practice you'd just set them to give a set of sounds you could work with and then leave them there until/unless you had a gig/session which would be better served by a different configuration - kind of like a poor man's version of the Enie Ball "Game Changer"[1] programmable switching system.... On that basis it makes perfect sense but I can remember getting horribly confused at times by my old Kawai Aquarius[2] which had three splittable humbuckers with a three three way switch (HB/OFF/SC) for each pickup...

[1] Whatever happened to that anyway...

[2] Brilliant guitar!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136
    Islandape said:
    SG2000 has the best access to high frets that I've ever come across, and it is a very versatile guitar sounds-wise. Consider it.
    Or if the 2000 is a bit pricey, try the 1000. Same shape, you might give away a bit of sustain for the bolt-on neck (as opposed to the 2000's thru-neck). not sure if s/h price is within your budget though but worth checking out
    Assuming all SG1000s are the same, mine has a glued in neck like an LP but with great upper fret access.  Sorry, not for sale though.

Another vote for the Yam SG here. Mine has coil tapped pickups, too. Sustains so well, and the best quality guitar I've ever had.

• JayGee said:
    axisus said:

I always assumed that the S-D triple shot pickup ring switching gadgets weren't really intended for "on the fly" gigging use and that in practice you'd just set them to give a set of sounds you could work with and then leave them there until/unless you had a gig/session which would be better served by a different configuration - kind of like a poor man's version of the Enie Ball "Game Changer"[1] programmable switching system.... On that basis it makes perfect sense but I can remember getting horribly confused at times by my old Kawai Aquarius[2] which had three splittable humbuckers with a three three way switch (HB/OFF/SC) for each pickup...

[1] Whatever happened to that anyway...

[2] Brilliant guitar!
    Ernie Ball's lowest moment...