Nut Action Independent of Playing?

What's Hot
I know that some parts of a guitar setup - like the action at the 12th fret, the neck relief etc. - are dependent on playing style and should be adjusted to taste for the player.

But am I right or wrong to think that the depth of the nut slot is independent of playing style and should always be a hair above the height of the frets on every guitar?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3054
    Thats my understanding, otherwise fretting would pull notes sharp.......I set mine so that when fretted at the third there is the tiniest gap between string and first fret.... 
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72317
    Yes.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• WezVWezV Frets: 16668
    Yes.... for 99.9% of playing styles
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    thegummy said:
    the depth of the nut slot ... should always be a hair above the height of the frets on every guitar?
    This is how the machine works.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • thegummythegummy Frets: 4389
    Thanks for the confirmation guys, much obliged.