Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Premier League Prediction 2017/2018

What's Hot

Comments

• underdogunderdog Frets: 8334
    edited August 2017
    quarky said:
    underdog said:
    What have Man U done that people are rating them as potential title winners? They were a defensive team with a goal scorer last season, the goal scorer has left/is injured. I'm not seeing any signing that has improved them over last year.
    United should be six points up on last season regardless on any improvement just because they CAN'T be that wasteful again. Additionally, they took their foot off the gas for the last four/five games (at least) at the end of last season to concenteate on Europe. Add in decent signings in Lukaku and Matic, both with proven PL experience, and they could do even better. A long way behind City and Chelsea, but good enough to be considered top three material. 

That's a poor way to look at it though, by that token you can say no way City can drop so many points again, or Liverpool must beat more of the bottom half.

For all Man U wasted lasted Year they got "lucky" in quite a few games with late goals or fantastic saves. I'm not having a go at them I just don't think they have added anything better than they had last season, in the striker department I'd say they were slightly worse off.

To put them finishing above Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal seems short sighted to me.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    underdog said:
    What have Man U done that people are rating them as potential title winners? They were a defensive team with a goal scorer last season, the goal scorer has left/is injured. I'm not seeing any signing that has improved them over last year.

I agree to a certain extent, Zlatan's goals will be replaced by Lukaku thereabouts, Matic should improve us a little.  Pogba should improve as he was off the back of a very long season and came under massive expectation, but I don't think these improvements will be massive and I don't see us challenging this year.

That said, I think Chelsea have weakened and also will have a lot more games.  Spurs have not strengthened, Liverpool no big change.  As a Man U fan I don't rate our chances but so far some of the opposition except City seem to have gone backwards.   Especially Chelsea, replacing 2 proved premier league quality players with more unknown quantities plus fighting on an extra front in the CL.  

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27464
    underdog said:
    ManU will be more accustomed to the manager's approach now.  Rooney is gone (which removes a large distraction) and Lukaku is in, which gives them a strong and direct focus to the attack.

Not seen solid consistency from Chelsea for years (ie they win one year, then they fall back the following year).  They won last part in large part because they didn't have European distraction.  Plus they've had all the "going/staying?" debate with Costa & Conte.  Don't see them doing it again.

ManC I think will improve but I see ManU has being stronger in attitude/culture/whole-team than City's assembly of mercenaries, so will come out top.  ManU players will play for ManU, ManC players play predominantly for themselves.

I'd love for Spurs to bring one or five through from the reserves - there are players there with real potential who've been in the Spurs system for years so will fit into the team and approach more easily than some £50m "star".  It's a big ask of them.  Ferguson did it back in the early 90s, but arguably there was less pressure on the players (and the manager) than there is today.  My ideal is that we get through the Champions League group stages (to avoid the Europa league) playing a fair few of the reserve / youth team, and then go out in the first proper round (to focus back on the domestic league).
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigBearKrisBigBearKris Frets: 1755
    quarky said:
    Spurs are playing in a new stadium, and haven't strengthened. Chelsea have more football this year, and question marks over the impact of some of their new signing. City have spent fuckloads again, and United look a better bet. Arsenal have made some good signings too.

So will have to go for:

Bitters
    Chelski
    United
    Arse
    Spurs
    Scum

Huddersfield, Swansea (if they sell Siggy), and Brighton to go down.

LOL.
    Some tribal language there too. Jeez...
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • quarkyquarky Frets: 2777
    underdog said:
    That's a poor way to look at it though, by that token you can say no way City can drop so many points again, or Liverpool must beat more of the bottom half.

For all Man U wasted lasted Year they got "lucky" in quite a few games with late goals or fantastic saves. I'm not having a go at them I just don't think they have added anything better than they had last season, in the striker department I'd say they were slightly worse off.

To put them finishing about Spurs/Liverpool/Arsenal seems short sighted to me.
    It is about a return to norm for United. They were uncharacteristically wasteful last year and I think the improvements needed to get to third are not huge. Lukaku and Matic should be big signings because they are Mourinho players. They know the way he operates and what he wants, and the reverse is also true.I don't think Matic was great last season, but perhaps a return to playing under Mourinho is what he needs. 

And Ibra could be back too, even if it is cover for the big games. 

Wembley could be a huge issue for Spurs, it really could. I think Arsenal have issues, and the supporters could be on their backs early on. Liverpool will be sold, but I don't think they have improved in the way that City, Arse, and United have. 

LOL.
    Some tribal language there too. Jeez...
    Only in jest. I don't take football that seriously. 
    edited August 2017
    Phew, that was quick... Leicester up for a beating in the opener?

My bet was 3-1

Edit:
    Logged in quickly to put a fiver on LEI to score next... and didn't make it in time  ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    TOP OF THE LLEEAAAUUGGEEEEE WE ARE TOP OF THE LEEAAAGUUUEE
    First game but..

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14424
    menamestom said:
    predictions?
    Boredom
    Boredom-uh-um.
    B'dum, b'dum.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • I predict a *lot* of people being accidentally hit in the face, followed by an incredibly hard fall to the ground, a short roll around, the whistle blowing and a miraculously fast recovery from what surely looks like a reaction to a violent assault. 
  • DrCorneliusDrCornelius Frets: 7125
    Genuinely worried about Palace this year. I don't think de Boer will be given the cash to buy the players to play 343 and have a feeling he is confident enough that he can get our lot playing that way which is a big ask. I'd bite your hand off for 15th
    After 1st week we know ...

... nothing.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Philly_QPhilly_Q Frets: 22788
    No-one new will break into the top six, but this year I think it will be between City and United.  Chelsea and Liverpool may suffer due to Europe and their thin squads... or they may not.  Spurs will struggle at Wembley, at least for the first half of the season.

Everton will be seventh, whether they sign Sigurdsson or not, so leave him the fuck alone and let Swansea have a chance of staying up, you bastards.
  • Genuinely worried about Palace this year. I don't think de Boer will be given the cash to buy the players to play 343 and have a feeling he is confident enough that he can get our lot playing that way which is a big ask. I'd bite your hand off for 15th
    I think he might quickly learn that playing 3 at the back only works if you have 3 competent defenders.

That was woeful, but typical palace

My Trading Feedback    |    You Bring The Band

Just because you're paranoid, don't mean they're not after you
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    1 Man U
    2 Man C
    3 Spurs
    4 Chelsea
    5 Liverpool (if courtinho goes, then swap with arsenal)
    6 Arsenal
    7 Everton
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26977
    Football will happen

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4701
    I predict a *lot* of people being accidentally hit in the face, followed by an incredibly hard fall to the ground, a short roll around, the whistle blowing and a miraculously fast recovery from what surely looks like a reaction to a violent assault. 
    Did your prediction happen this weekend?    
  • joeyowenjoeyowen Frets: 4025
    Perhaps Swansea might go down...
  • So, the league starts tomorrow, what are people predictions?

Mine, which may change with last minute signings.....

TOP 6

1st Man City, 2nd Chelsea, 3rd Man United, 4th Tottenham, 5th Arsenal, 6th Liverpool

BOTTOM 3

Brighton, Burnley, Huddersfield

So after 5 games would anybody change their predictions?

I'd keep my top, but probably swap United and Chelsea.

The bottom is looking all wrong, Huddersfield up in 6th and Arsenal down in 12th, perhaps I should swap those 2 around ;)

I think City look strongest, with United very close, albeit weaker with no Pogba for up to 3 months.
    Interestingly at the current rate of scoring either team would set a new record, but we all know a long winter should slow that down.