All About Eve

What's Hot
TravisthedogTravisthedog Frets: 1845

Oh Jeez I'd forgotten just how good this band were.

Such a short career but such a rich vein of beautiful swirly goth nonsense. Tim Bricheno's guitar work is just mesmerising, no one else could get away with THAT much chorus. But for me Julianne Regans vocal is like syrup and pachuli oil wrapped in cotton wool. She was stunning in the day too. She could sweep me up in her gypsy caravan and we could trundle off together looking for fairies whilst she sung

Give Scarlett and Other Stories a listen tonight

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GassageGassage Frets: 30864
    I was having a AAE love in on another thread recently. Totally agree- Bricheno was one of the reasons I picked a guitar up, along with Belew.

He was also the first person I ever saw play C Numb live, when with the Sisters.

And, as noted, I used to own his 1962 jaguar.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    One of my favourite bands at the time.  I was living at a friend's who's flatmate had some connection with the band so I saw them lots and had the early vinyl and fanzines. 
    "Flowers In Our Hair" still sounds good to me.
  • @Gassage didn't ol' grumpy gilmour play on the album after Tim left to join the mission ? Either that or the new bloke was apeing G more than Tim!
  • GrumpyrockerGrumpyrocker Frets: 4132
    edited August 2017
    @Gassage didn't ol' grumpy gilmour play on the album after Tim left to join the mission ? Either that or the new bloke was apeing G more than Tim!
    Dave guested on two tracks on the band's third album Touched By Jesus.  But most of the guitar on that album and the next was Marty Wilson Piper from The Church. Some details of Dave's  appearence on the album here:  http://www.brain-damage.co.uk/archive/david-gilmour-all-about-eve-collaborations-reissued.html

AAE were my first gig when I was 16/17. Saw them at the Manchester Apollo on the Scarlet and Other Stories  tour. Was a huge fan of the band and they were my gateway into rock/metal with female vocals. I did tend to prefer their rockier live moments to the whimsical stuff. 

In the Meadow is clearly Tim's Comfortably Numb and my favourite live track of theirs. I  don't really listen to them much now, but my love of female-fronted metal today is possibly down to AAE as my gateway. 

The band's final album was quite trippy. And it sounded to me very much influenced by Pink Floyd. It's my favourite complete album by the band. Marty Wilson Piper seems to be channeling Syd Barrett as much as Gilmour. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3037
    Damn, this makes me want to put a band together playing songs from the mid-late 80s (my late teenage years). Some cool stuff.

And yes, Flowers In Our Hair is a banger.

R.
  • blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    The opening to 'Paradise' on the Glastonbury live cd.

and the early demos.

the old Goony website http://www.goony.nl/aae/aae.htm

Julianne is on fb if you didn't know already.

Wait for the backing singer on this vid.....

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uQtxPdNJQIU

Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    D'you know, I love the first (Eponymous) album, but remember being vaguely disappointed with Scarlet & Other Stories at the time. Listening now, it's superb. I guess I was into other things at the time, and moving away from the goth/folk thing.

Ah well... :)
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    Didn't he use Squier Tele's into a Roland JC120? Not sure what pedal he used for drive. I loved his chorusy sound from the JC. Those mid 80s JC chorus tones had an almost flangery type sweep which you can hear clearly. I hear that on Every Angel, all over The Cult's Love album and I reckon The Police's De Doo Doo Dah was one as well. 

Didn't he use Squier Tele's into a Roland JC120? Not sure what pedal he used for drive. I loved his chorusy sound from the JC. Those mid 80s JC chorus tones had an almost flangery type sweep which you can hear clearly. I hear that on Every Angel, all over The Cult's Love album and I reckon The Police's De Doo Doo Dah was one as well. 
    Deffo JC120.

Which has basically a CE1 circuit in, which is in De Doo Doo Dah.

Re Squiers, he had a couple, but the main squeeze was one of these, same colour, same pup.

Fantastic and hugely underated.

Re Gilmour and AAE, there's a very useless piece of trivia...

Are You Lonely? is the only track other than Echoes that David used his Pete Cornish Orca Wah for (it makes the Echoes whale noises).

There's two Orca units in the world- Steve Mac from the Aussie Floyd show owns the other and I've tried it. It's quite amazing.

Tim was a huge DG fan and very evident in his playing.

• GrunfeldGrunfeld Frets: 4038
    Slightly tangential but the Mission clip made me think of this -- another offshoot from SOM which I regret not seeing while they were around.  They did an album which was disappointing but they also created a cool little EP "A Word To The Wise"
    This is from it.
    Ghostdance, "When I Call"

• RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13936
    Squier Tele with that lovely JC120 chorus and it's flangey swirl:

• blobbblobb Frets: 2932
    I'm sure on one of the albums, Tim thanks Rickenbacker guitars?
    Feelin' Reelin' & Squeelin'
    edited August 2017
    Good lord amazed to see the old Goony website still up. I remember often visiting it when I was at university in the early 90s. 

As well as Tim's guitar a good part of the sound was the way Andy played bass. As much as a melodic instrument as a rhythmic one. Many of the band's  riffs and melodies are Andy on bass rather than the guitar. 

I'll add to the trivia. Mark Price on drums went on to join Del Amitri. for a few years. I also believe  he married Julianne's sister. 

• AlexCAlexC Frets: 2396
    Here's an annoying factoid - their second and third albums are almost impossible to get on Cd now unless you pay stupid money. This is how good acts form yesteryear never find a new audience. 
    AlexC said:
    Here's an annoying factoid - their second and third albums are almost impossible to get on Cd now unless you pay stupid money. This is how good acts form yesteryear never find a new audience. 
    Which ones?

R.
  • Scarlett and other Stories was the 2nd album
    Scarlett and other Stories was the 2nd album
    Yeah, but both that and Touch By Jesus seem to be readily available on Amazon:

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Scarlet-Other-Stories-All-About/dp/B015LIE4AW
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/Touched-Jesus-All-About-Eve/dp/B0055V0GBM

R.
    edited August 2017
    Ultraviolet is the tricky one to get. My cassette was lost when our house was flooded. Had to buy a Japanese import to get it on CD.

However the earlier albums have been reissued with extra tracks fairly recently.

• TrudeTrude Frets: 914
    Funny - I went off an extended AAE binge a few months back.  Loved them back in the day, and I think Spotify's algorithms threw one of their tracks my way.  Days later I emerged, sporting metaphorical eye-liner and purple DMs...

I remember I had a cassette with AAE on one side and Reading Writing and Arithmetic by the Sundays on the other.  I racked up more hours on that tape than any other in the early 90s, I reckon.
    Some of the gear, some idea

Trading feedback here