Home set up - modeller mass debating

What's Hot
thecolourboxthecolourbox Frets: 9713
edited February 2014 in FX

Hello all
With my new Variax due to be taken home tonight (woohoo, NGD proof to follow) it's got me thinking about my set up at home. To be brief, I bought the Variax because my house seems to have huge noise issues which my Telecaster can't beat (except by using a wireless system which is a huge faff and eats batteries like Bertha). I have a bigger amp (Hot Rod Deluxe) which I generally use at home with a volume box in the loop. I also have a Vox AC4 which I thought I needed as a "practice amp", damn GAS, which it turns out I'm not too sure I need and I seem to only use it with a Fender modeller in front of it as perversely, it's much louder than the HRD is with the volume box on. Add to this the fact that the other night I had one of the most enjoyable guitar playing sessions I've had for ages plugged into a Zoom G3, straight in to my Hifi, it's got me thinking about alternatives - should I move on the AC4 and sort a desktop solution to plug in to my Soundsticks? what are people's views on these? I like Fender and Voxey sounds, either boosted or Tubescreamery overdrive, fuzz, and big reverbs

Options as I see them are:

Zoom G3 - I already have this, which is an advantage. I love the Vibro amp model and the mods/verbs/delays iI like. However whenever I try to use the drive pedals into an amp model (as opposed to them into my amp) they don't sound good and are quite noisy. Perhaps this may be easier to tame with the noise free Variax, but I will have to see. Also i'm not keen on the Big Muff or Fuzz Face models, and as I'm quite into my fuzzes this is a drawback. But the Vibro model is lovely, I have to say.

Line 6 POD - either HD or X3. I had an X3 live that was broken by the time it arrived, but I remember the amps sounding nice before the unit fully died, never really tested the pedal models into them though, but my limited experience of POD Farm was good (the Rat and Brassmaster on that were awesome). With the Live one I know it has the network cable connection for the Variax, but a bit wary after the other one died, but the bean one might be ok. Then there's the HD ones, the idea of a Divided by 13 model appeals greatly, I think there's a Fender twin model, and having had an M5 i like the fx on there especially the boost Comp, Octavia, Whammy and the verbs. But are either of these any better than the Zoom? Never sure if they are fairly compared without much consideration to the obvious price difference

Other modellers - like the Mustang one, a few others I forget, not sure what else there is out there.

Individual Character Pedals - Those Joyo ones, could get a Vox one to add to the Fender one I have, as they are cheap as fried potatoes and sound nice enough, add a reverb and existing drive pedals and could do the trick?

Lastly, Forget the need/GAS for a second small set up, and simply use the HRD more!

Sorry for the essay, I'm sure you'll all obliged with your opinions good and bad ;)

Please note my communication is not very good, so please be patient with me
soundcloud.com/thecolourbox-1
youtube.com/@TheColourboxMusic
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• dean2371dean2371 Frets: 139

Just to add to your choices, I had all manner of Pods including the HD500. Never got on with them, kept changing them. Then I bought a Digitech Eleven Rack which is excellent. I use that through a cheap rack mixer into some active monitors, with a range of effects pedals just becasue I have them. Like you I have a Vox AC4 (and a THR5), but find myself using the 11R set up most.

Mind you, I also have a M-Audio Black Box on the way, and I use an Ampkit when I'm feeling lazy, and I'm thinking about a Zoom again... And so it goes on!

• This maybe wholly irrational but I have a reluctance to use a gigging valve amp as a practice amp. This is not an issue about big valve amps not sounding good at home (not an issue with your HRD and the volume box as a case in point) but a sense that valves ( and sometimes other components) have a limited life span and switching stuff on for 5 minutes here and there (which is how my playing is)is knackering my amp when I should be saving it up for an audience. I'm not in a gigging band now so not using my valve amp at home is probably even more irrational at the moment.
    :o3

I did get a little lost in the OP's train of thought there but a modelling combo that does good Fender(ish) tones might be the most straightforward answer. So, Mustang or Yamaha THR. Pretty much any modeller ( Mustang, POD,etc) wont react to your favourite pedals like a valve amp will (at least for OD/fuzz/ boost purposes). If that's really important to you for home use then you will need your HRD after all.
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Sorry yes I've just re read my original post and I did garble somewhat. The essense of the question, without the waffle, is "Do I actually need a practice amp or would a desktop modelling thing through my hifi be better?".

Firstly, interesting point about the 11 Rack, I'll look into them. Rack stuff is something I have thought about before, especially with the potential for it being a back up for the HRD when I start gigging again, smack a rack amp in there if necessary. I've always thought of the 11R being expensive but that's not based on anything other than association so I'll have agander into it, and the POD HD rack model. The space these things require is also a benefit as I have places to put these in the room, whereas a practice amp (even the AC4 at the moment) is more problematic.

Secondly, following on from the above, I think if i ditch the Vox it would be for a desktop (or rack as above) type idea. I have good a good hifi and stuff does sound really nice through them being full range, whereas the Mustang combos I've heard didn't sound as good and the THR sounded like an ipod dock - I think either one of them would sound much better through good speakers though hence my thoughts of the desktop ones through my Soundsticks. Also your point re the valves etc with the HRD is a very good one, never thought about that. I don't care so much with the AC4 as that would never be gigged

• JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6389
    edited February 2014
    Messy problem if you want plug in and go practice tool, recording interface, video & audio playback/record - I like the Pod 2 Blackface tone.

I'd also like plug and go practice solution for hotel rooms (headphones/earplugs are fine) , and have strong Zoom G3 GAS at present.  Taking an interface and all the cables for connecting to PC/iPad in the suitcase every week is a pain.
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • I don't need the portability as such i don't think, just that it doesn't take too much space, but i suppose inherently they would tend to be linked.
    I have the Variax in its parcel box with me on the train currently (some very concerned looks I'm getting considering it looks like i have a machine gun under my arm) so will see how the Zoom does, as it may answer my need for GAS without any extra looking :)
  • p90foolp90fool Frets: 31577
    This maybe wholly irrational but I have a reluctance to use a gigging valve amp as a practice amp. This is not an issue about big valve amps not sounding good at home (not an issue with your HRD and the volume box as a case in point) but a sense that valves ( and sometimes other components) have a limited life span and switching stuff on for 5 minutes here and there (which is how my playing is)is knackering my amp when I should be saving it up for an audience.

I know what you're getting at, but bear in mind that if you only use an amp for gigs, it can only break down at gigs.
    If you use them at home then there's a good chance that any problems (or any early signs thereof) will be picked up at home.

That just shows that my paranoia is 180 degrees to yours! :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom