Jcm800 2203 is huge . Any downsizing suggestions ?!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 77
ive just been playing my jcm800 2203x into an 80's jcm800 4x12 cab .

i love these Amps , but I keep thinking they're just too powerful .

ive been thinking about downsizing again . Something with a similar quality and sound as a jcm800 but more practical.

anyone done the same thing ? Any suggestions ?!
1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter

Comments

• John_PJohn_P Frets: 1411
    I'd go for the combo version (often cheaper than a head) or get one of the jubilee mini head and a 2x12

Personally I don't think they are too powerful- you can turn it down and it's nice to know you can turn it up when you need to.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • NerineNerine Frets: 747
    Not really sure there's an alternative that isn't a compromise in some way, to be honest. 

Ive been barking up that tree for years. 

Nothing really compares to an 800 wound up through a good cab. 

I did start using combos quute extensively, but now I'm playing in a heavier band, I've started using my 2203 and 2x12's again. 

One thing that I believe could get close is probably a Friedman Small Box combo. But again, mega bucks. Maybe Victory Sherriff. 

There's not really a substitute that I've found that really captures it. 

Depends how much you're looking to downsize as well. 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 77
    Something smaller , lighter that I can turn up past 2 would do it !! 

How about something like the Friedman runt 20 or 50 ?
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 430
    edited August 12
    Mini Jubilee if you want something from the current Marshall lineup. I've played it next to a 2203 half stack and it can hold its own though obviously not as loud. I actually prefer it to the full size Jubilee. To me the tone is like a boosted 800 that's not quite as raw sounding, and I like that the eq is pretty flexible. Better for heavier stuff if you don't like using pedals. Should get mine any time now!

I actually really like the DSL as well, just a shame the 40w is combo only. Through good speakers they sound great.
    TTBZ said:
    Mini Jubilee if you want something from the current Marshall lineup. I've played it next to a 2203 half stack and it can hold its own though obviously not as loud. I actually prefer it to the full size Jubilee. To me the tone is like a boosted 800 that's not quite as raw sounding, and I like that the eq is pretty flexible. Better for heavier stuff if you don't like using pedals. Should get mine any time now!

I actually really like the DSL as well, just a shame the 40w is combo only. Through good speakers they sound great.
    Mini jubilee is a great idea , why didn't I think of that !
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4101
    All together now.....

EVH 5150 iii!!!!!!!!!!!

50w. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 430
    edited August 12
    Mini jubilee is a great idea , why didn't I think of that !
    If you dont like it at first (I didnt), at least give it a chance and spend time on the eq. Just make sure you keep rhythm clip off, stay on the lead channel and don't get too enthusiastic with the treble/presence, around 3-4 for me. Gain, bass and mids at 6ish for  a fat rock sound. Some people say to keep the overall master high and use the lead channel volume to control your overall volume. Not sure if it makes much of a difference tbh.

The Premier Guitar and Session videos give a pretty good idea of the general tone. 

I'm going for a combo but only because I can get one for ridiculously cheap. Usually prefer heads but itll be nice to have everything in one manageable portable package.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 2600
    Just get a good attenuator 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • 8luesman8luesman Frets: 4
    As TimmyO said - what about the new Torpedo due out.  An attenuator, Cab Sim and DI all in one?

https://www.gak.co.uk/en/two-notes-torpedo-captor-16/905655

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 199
    People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
  • professorbenprofessorben Frets: 4101
    People keep banging on about those Jet City 20 watters. I'd really like to try one...
    Depends on the need of a clean sound I think. 

The 50w does have a bit more headroom. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22375
    ive just been playing my jcm800 2203x into an 80's jcm800 4x12 cab .

i love these Amps , but I keep thinking they're just too powerful .

ive been thinking about downsizing again . Something with a similar quality and sound as a jcm800 but more practical.

anyone done the same thing ? Any suggestions ?!
    You love those amps dude. It's just a phase, it'll pass ;)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom · Share on Facebook Share on Twitter
  • John_AJohn_A Frets: 897
    Depends on the need of a clean sound I think. 

The 50w does have a bit more headroom. 
    The 20 water had enough clean volume for me in a 5 piece rock covers band, the new version apparently has a better clean channel though.  They are good amps, and in the same ballpark as a JCM800, but you don't get the same thump as a big amp
  • shaunmshaunm Frets: 709
    TimmyO said:
    Just get a good attenuator 
    This. 

Its the only answer
  • algroves1algroves1 Frets: 14
    2204 :-)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 26877
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
  • ricorico Frets: 585
    ICBM said:
    Isn't there a rumour that Marshall may be making a 20W 2203? Something was allegedly 'coming soon', anyway...
    Whaaaat?!

rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.
    "Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone."
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I'm sure @TTBZ mentioned that something may be coming which will answer some of the criticism of Marshall's current product range... I know he can't say what it is though :). I would really hope they've seen the success of the Mini Jubilee and that almost everyone thinks a Mini 2203 would be a good seller.
    I'd be queuing up to buy 2!
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    If they do, and they don't fuck it up, their biggest problem will be building enough of them! 
    "Congratulations on being officially the most right anyone has ever been about anything, ever." -- Noisepolluter knows the score
  • PlectrumPlectrum Frets: 328
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    If they do, and they don't fuck it up, their biggest problem will be building enough of them! 

Agreed they'd fly out of the door as fast as they could build them. We (well I at least) understand how @TTBZ is constrained by his being a Marshall employee but it's well known that they build a 20 watt version of a Plexi and gave it to Paul Gilbert to try - he loved it. I believe that my idle, uninformed speculation may the source of these rumours and I want to apologise if I've given anyone false expectations. That said I still think that in the fullness of time we'll see a 20 watt Plexi and a 20 watt JCM800 (not necessarily a 2203 though).
    One day I'm going to make a guitar out of butter to experience just how well it actually plays.
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 9135
    TimmyO said:
    ICBM said:
    rico said:
    ICBM said:
    Whaaaat?!
    I just sold my last guitar cab.

FFS.
    Plectrum said:

Agreed they'd fly out of the door as fast as they could build them. We (well I at least) understand how @TTBZ is constrained by his being a Marshall employee but it's well known that they build a 20 watt version of a Plexi and gave it to Paul Gilbert to try - he loved it. I believe that my idle, uninformed speculation may the source of these rumours and I want to apologise if I've given anyone false expectations. That said I still think that in the fullness of time we'll see a 20 watt Plexi and a 20 watt JCM800 (not necessarily a 2203 though).
    It will be, if they do a mini JCM800 - the only other option would be the split-channel & reverb model, which is firstly not very popular nowadays, and secondly has too many knobs to fit the mini-head format :).

My personal preference would be a mini-2203, but in JMP styling. A mini-Plexi would be relatively easy to convert into a 2203 circuit anyway - Marshall themselves did in the 70s, both models were built on the same PCB.

I agree with everyone else that Marshall are crazy if they don't build both of them, to be honest. The only question would be the price - the Mini Jubilee did seem quite expensive.
  • TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 0
    Agree that a 20W JCM would be cool.

Going back to OP's question... How about the 2204? 50W still too loud?
    TJT1979 said:

How about the 2204? 50W still too loud?
    It's the same size as the 2203, and very nearly the same weight and volume.
    You could always commission someone like @jpfamps to build a small box version of something similar sounding?

• simonksimonk Frets: 981
    My band: The Supernatural

Trading goodness: Here and here.
  • exocetexocet Frets: 402
    In The absence of an official Marshall offering then I'd say one of these is worth considering.
    http://guitarampsusa.com/index.php?route=information/information&information_id=10
  • jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 199
    The more people suggest stuff, the more this seems like a really good shout to try before spending big bucks on anything else. There's even a version geared towards cleaner tones. I'm gonna try one as soon as I'm able. For £250 NEW it seems insane not to.