What's Hot
timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
any current users? 

Tell me a bit about it!! 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2193
    edited August 2017
    I'm not a current user but I have used V-type speakers in the past.

I had one in a Hotrod Deluxe III. I started off replacing the stock HRDx speaker (which I didn't like) with a Celestion V30. I preferred that to the stock speaker but it was a bit 'full on rock - in yer face' for the band I was in at the time.

So I decided to try a V-type because I saw that Mike Landau used them in his signature Hot Rod Deville combo. I figured that, as they're good enough for him and it's an amp from broadly the same family as a HRDx, it's worth a try. I think the V type was a good match for the HRDx. 

I later replaced the V30s in my 1912 1x12 Marshall cabs with V types in another set up.

The V-type had a nice tone character and was less full on than a V30. Also, it seemed to be less directional than a V30.

For full on rock with lots of cut, I'd probably go for a V30. But, for something a bit more versatile for a range of music styles, the V-type worked for me.
    It's not a competition.
  • I put two V30's into my Marshall 4x12 1960B cab. There's a lot more brightness and cut to the stock G12T-75's, though the mix gave the low end and the brightness too and its quite nice.

I might stick another two in there as I like them, I've played through Orange cabs that have 4 x V30's and they're great with my 6505+ head.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    I put two V30's into my Marshall 4x12 1960B cab. There's a lot more brightness and cut to the stock G12T-75's, though the mix gave the low end and the brightness too and its quite nice.

I might stick another two in there as I like them, I've played through Orange cabs that have 4 x V30's and they're great with my 6505+ head.
    He's not talking about V30s - he's talking about the V-Type.

I had one for a while, and it was a marvellous speaker. In fact, it's my favourite of all the ones Celestion make; it's got all the good bits of the G12T-75 and the V30 with none of the drawbacks in my opinion. The only reason I no longer use them is that I got a Matrix NL212 and the speakers in that are roughly similar but less than half the weight :)
    <space for hire>
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    I've ordered one! Hopefully better than the black shadow that's looming in my Mesa at the moment! 
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    I have one in my laney cub 12. It's really awesome. Not sure why but it sings with that amp without being harsh like a v30 can be. Love it.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    timmysoft said:
    Hopefully better than the black shadow that's looming in my Mesa at the moment! 
    Hey, I really like the black shadow! *gear forum triggered*  :o =)
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Cirrus said:
    timmysoft said:
    Hopefully better than the black shadow that's looming in my Mesa at the moment! 
    Hey, I really like the black shadow! *gear forum triggered*  :o =)
    It's not the nice black shadow, it's the eminence 50w one, sounds like the amp has a cold! 
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    My poor, poor man. Condolences.

The V-type talk is interesting - seems to get praise, generally - and moreso than its brother, the A-type.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72262
    Mesa calling all their speakers 'Black Shadow' isn't helpful...

This one is the "Vintage" Black Shadow, which is made by Eminence and is one of the most nasal and honky speakers I can think of, as timmysoft said :).

The Mesa/Celestion Black Shadow 90 and the Electro-Voice Black Shadow are totally different.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein