Combo to head conversion

What's Hot
i have a Laney VC15 that needs new valves and a service. I love the sounds from this little amp but always feel the 10 inch speaker sells it short. Using the cab extension disables the internal speaker but it still seems silly having the amp sit in a box with a speaker I don't use.

Anyone know any amp techs that might be able to rehouse this amp in a small lunchbox head?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• zenzeypherzenzeypher Frets: 265
    Take it on as a project, be loads of fun. glue, clamps, spray glue and tolex.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    Given the physical layout, it won't save much space. Also, if it's a spring reverb version then moving the tank closer to the amp may cause hum - if it's a digital it doesn't matter though.

Have you thought about putting a different 10" in it? Depending on which version it is, the speaker might be just the wrong voicing for what you're trying to get from it.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• NPPNPP Frets: 236
    or just take the speaker out and use the space to house a bag with pedals and accessories?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    Try something like a Ragin Cajun in there. The stock speaker is a bit weedy as I recall.
  • Cheers guys for these helpful suggestions
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1631

Some 10" containing combos  can actually take a twelve (e.g. Mk 1 HT-5..Just!)  The dimms of that amp suggest to me that it might as well.

The fact that the 12 would be firing through a 10" hole will make little difference except make it perhaps a bit less directional (counter-intuitive I know but true)

Dave.

ecc83 said:
    Some 10" containing combos  can actually take a twelve (e.g. Mk 1 HT-5..Just!)  The dimms of that amp suggest to me that it might as well.
    I think you'd have difficulty getting a 12" in - the speaker magnet is very close to the power valves even with the 10", and most 12"s are deeper as well.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:
    I think you'd have difficulty getting a 12" in - the speaker magnet is very close to the power valves even with the 10", and most 12"s are deeper as well.

Ah! 'Fraid that might be the case. Might get a Neo Century in there? Trouble is, bloody expensive now and nobody seems to like them!

Dave.

• vizviz Frets: 10691
    NPP said:
    or just take the speaker out and use the space to house a bag with pedals and accessories?
    I did the opposite, my combo was ridiculously heavy, and I had a head anyway, so I just removed the amp part of the combo and I store leads and pedals there instead. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    ecc83 said:

Might get a Neo Century in there? Trouble is, bloody expensive now and nobody seems to like them!
    The Neo Creamback seems to be getting a lot of praise though - I haven't tried one myself yet.

I wonder if the very high field intensity of a Neo would be a problem that close to the power valves? I know the field is supposed to be 'wrapped around' inside and is mostly across the coil gap, but some does leak out! I have once come across an amp which hummed badly with a particular preamp valve type right next to the speaker magnet, unless a steel screening can was used.

• Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2576
    tFB Trader
    Where are you and are you prepared to pay shipping? this is a combo to head /cab conversion I did several months ago. I could do the same but would want the amp here. (NE Scotland)

This one had a reverb tank too obviously, and in the normal orientation it hummed badly, rotated it 180 degrees and it was as quite as a mouse.

Considering the price of the Laney though, it does not make much sense to spend this sort of money on it.

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    A Concert combo also makes it more worthwhile since it starts out somewhat heavier than a VC15 :).

In fact I'm sure it still is as a head!

ICBM said:
    ecc83 said:

Might get a Neo Century in there? Trouble is, bloody expensive now and nobody seems to like them!
    The Neo Creamback seems to be getting a lot of praise though - I haven't tried one myself yet.

I wonder if the very high field intensity of a Neo would be a problem that close to the power valves? I know the field is supposed to be 'wrapped around' inside and is mostly across the coil gap, but some does leak out! I have once come across an amp which hummed badly with a particular preamp valve type right next to the speaker magnet, unless a steel screening can was used.

As I recall IC there was very little stray field from the Century (think I have one in the loft) . However, something else has just occurred to me but I need to draw it out in case it is lack of coffee induced bllx.

Dave.

Ok, as you were. Was bllx.

Dave.