Seemed only yesterdee

What's Hot
57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
edited August 2017 in Amps
...that someone somewhere was telling us how exceptional some of these amps were and that the mftrs were on to a winner...

Here are some I seriously considered but many long gone already... even from only  as far back as '07

Guytron GT-100, Mesa TA-15, Tone Kong Metropolitan, Carr Rambler, Gretsch Playboy, H&K Statesman, Revera Chubster, Ibanez Tube Screamer Amp (no more pedals required!)

The list of the ones *I DID* buy and still have is even more depressing - nearly ALL gone...
<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Comments

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    Amp manufacture seems mostly like a tail-chasing exercise now... how many different variations of old sounds and concepts is enough already?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBM said:
    Amp manufacture seems mostly like a tail-chasing exercise now... how many different variations of old sounds and concepts is enough already?
    Tail chasing and miniaturisation.
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30273
    ICBM said:
    Tail chasing and miniaturisation.
    And looking different. That's very important these days.
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    Out of those pictured above, the Carr Rambler is the one that they were right about. It's an exceptional piece of gear.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3491
    I own a Ibanez Tubescreamer combo that I bought from Thomann on a closing deal.  The TS part of the amp is pretty pointless, but the rest of the amp is an ok small light single ended valve amp.  

• WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    RiftAmps said:
    Out of those pictured above, the Carr Rambler is the one that they were right about. It's an exceptional piece of gear.
    Chris, as an accomplished amp builder yourself, why do you think the Rambler is so special ?

I own one and it remains my number 1 amp, and has seen off many challengers.
  • Buying advice for amps: "The sound in your head is never the one from your amp"
    There isn't an amp made that will give a consistent tone in all circumstances, as all spaces are different, it's knowing what your amp can do and how to make it do that which is the key.

And fortunately most of us are too impatient to work an amp preferring to read the manufacturers blurb on the next big thing and change up/down to it! This means more great amps on the secondhand market for others to play with.
    www.maltingsaudio.co.uk
  • fretfinderfretfinder Frets: 4978
    RiftAmps said:
    Chris, as an accomplished amp builder yourself, why do you think the Rambler is so special ?

The Rambler is indeed a great amp that's for sure.  :)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    tFB Trader
    RiftAmps said:

@Wazmeister ; For me, a good valve amplifier allows the natural sound of the guitar to come through, whilst also adding its own flavour. There are so many amps on the market that when I hear played, I can't tell what guitar is plugged in. If I can tell instantly what guitar is being played, then it's fundamentally a good amplifier.

The Rambler takes this a step further - I was able to AB a Rosewood board USA Strat against a Maple one, and the difference was clearly audible through the Rambler. Not slightly, but definitely. This is the first test that I do on my own amps to make sure they're working as intended.

From a different perspective, the Rambler fulfils the 'Ultimate Pub and Club amp' criteria - Portable, powerful, toneful at a wide range of volume settings with a great clean tone, onboard valve driven effects, and it takes pedals very well.

I'm not convinced on the asthetics, but I'm more of a traditionalist anyway. The true point-to-point/tag board construction isn't the neatest method, but it clearly works in Steve's amps.

If I didn't know how to build my own amps, I'd have probably bought a Rambler.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9447
    @RiftAmps ;

Chris, I agree 100%. 

A great post mate, and a wisdom awarded !
  • koss59koss59 Frets: 845
    Yep, Rambler is still my favourite too. Just need to figure out how to get a louder version of it. Probably thinking Suhr Bella. But as mentioned above it's the perfect volume for 95% of gigs.
    Facebook.com/nashvillesounduk/