The simple pleasure of jcm800 + sd1/ts9!

What's Hot
riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
just set up my jcm800 and 4x12 up and thought I'd compare how the ts9 And sd1 sound side by side .

i don't know if one is better then the other , they're just different !

its a fun test and I found myself really enjoying the sd1 , which was a surprise as I've been been playing a ts9 fir years !!
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    SD-1 into an 800 is *the* shred lead sound for me. I always preferred it to a TS-9, no idea why. 
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    the JCM800 has allot of upper mids, so does not need/like the mid kick of the TS-9, this is why the SD-1 works really well as it does not have that mid bump.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72247
    There's also something in the way the SD-1 makes a 2203 super-sensitive to harmonics as well, more than the TS. Hair Metal in a box :).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Yep, with that kind of circuit there's nothing better.
  • riffpowersriffpowers Frets: 344
    ICBM said:
    There's also something in the way the SD-1 makes a 2203 super-sensitive to harmonics as well, more than the TS. Hair Metal in a box :).
    I noticed that too !!
  • rawk100rawk100 Frets: 1757
    It's worth trying the mxr zakk wylde overdrive too...
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24195
    rawk100 said:
    It's worth trying the mxr zakk wylde overdrive too...
    Isn't that just a clone of the SD-1?
  • The SD1 is great, I like both but tend to prefer the boss 
    fretmeister said:

Not just a clone - it's a clone with a crap switch, knobs you can knock when you press it, awkward battery access, known unreliability and a massively inflated price...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4722
    edited August 2017
    ICBM said:
    fretmeister said:

Not just a clone - it's a clone with a crap switch, knobs you can knock when you press it, awkward battery access, known unreliability and a massively inflated price...
    Allright, but apart  from the crap switch, knobs you can knock when you press it, awkward battery access, known unreliability and a massively inflated price...

...what have the Romans ever done for us? 

I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • thermionicthermionic Frets: 9591
    ICBM said:
    Is that the asymmetric clipping of the SD-1?
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure - I've never tried a SD-1 with a symmetrical/asymetrical clipping option into one - but I think it's a possibility, since it's one of the main differences from the TS.

• SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    I've got one with the clipping option and it doesn't sound that different to the stock sound. Maybe slightly less grainy on symmetrical clipping but the difference is very small.
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    ICBM said:
    ICBM said:
    I'm not sure - I've never tried a SD-1 with a symmetrical/asymetrical clipping option into one - but I think it's a possibility, since it's one of the main differences from the TS.
    I think the main difference is the SD-1 just has more top end than a tubescreamer - they both cut bass, they both have a broad midrange boost, they both cut the toppy, sparkly treble stuff, but the tubescreamer is smoother up in the upper mids whereas the SD-1 is more lively up at 2-3k so there are more harmonics ringing out to grab your ears.
  • MoltisantiMoltisanti Frets: 1131
    it's one of those simple combos that people overlook these days, but if you have an 800 up loudish and a SD1 into the high input it really is a thing of joy, instant 80s metal and super fun to play

• TJT1979TJT1979 Frets: 188
    Voxman said:
    ICBM said:
    fretmeister said:

Allright, but apart  from the crap switch, knobs you can knock when you press it, awkward battery access, known unreliability and a massively inflated price...

...what have the Romans ever done for us?  3  

Haha! I just spat beer all over my keyboard!