Milkman, Tone King... a UK builder?

What's Hot
GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
in Amps tFB Trader
A while back, I took a fancy for a tone king (falcon? I think). I also clocked my eyes on Milkman. 

Now, I don't have an issue with the cost although I've since found out that the £1899 milkman is apparently $899 in 'Murica.

I love my JMP which is why it's not going anywhere. This is more or less for my showroom and workshop (which is taking financial priority right now). 

Im open to suggestions about amps and more so UK builders of Fender-Esque tones. I actually love how Tone King style their cabs too, retro is win in my book.

Do any of you have experience with Milkman or tone king? Or UK builders of the same sort of amp?

Scott
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1819
    edited August 2017
    You can't go much wrong with an amp builder like RD Amplification. I've got his Dualist
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/
  • GassageGassage Frets: 30882
    Just been googling amp shops on the Costa Brava; then realised you didn't actually really mean Murcia.

Grrr.

*An Official Foo-Approved guitarist since Sept 2023.

4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GoldenEraGuitarsGoldenEraGuitars Frets: 8823
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    Gassage said:
    Just been googling amp shops on the Costa Brava; then realised you didn't actually really mean Murcia.

Grrr.
    Yeah man... I'm in the Kingdom of the United. Where Murcia then? I typed 'murica  
    tFB Trader
    You can't go much ch wrong with an MP builder like RD Amplification. I've got his Dualist

RD amplification? I'll check it out :)
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    You need to check out RIFT amps too, the quality of his builds is stellar, the component choices he makes and the aesthetic are top notch. to top it all off, his amps sound incredible!
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    You need to check out RIFT amps too, the quality of his builds is stellar, the component choices he makes and the aesthetic are top notch. to top it all off, his amps sound incredible!
    Will do Adrian! I think youre stocking Some Neck in Dublin now? Ill need to check them out next time I go down.
  • KalimnaKalimna Frets: 1540
    633 Engineering
    Thornton Amps

Another two to add to the mix. The Thornton Dexter amp is phenomenal.
  • ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6123
    tFB Trader
    lonestar said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    Will do Adrian! I think youre stocking Some Neck in Dublin now? Ill need to check them out next time I go down.
    yeah, they seem like a really nice bunch to deal with. very glad to have representation in Ireland from such a cool company. 
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
    tFB Trader
    ThorpyFX said:
    lonestar said:
    ThorpyFX said:
    yeah, they seem like a really nice bunch to deal with. very glad to have representation in Ireland from such a cool company. 
    wicked man, ill see if I can get them to take a few guitars of mine when I go down :)
  • Flynn Amps in Glasgow do outstanding Fender builds. 
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    lonestar said:

Now, I don't have an issue with the cost although I've since found out that the £1899 milkman is apparently $899 in 'Murica.
    Is it the Dairy Air?  The head is $1899 in USA, so £1899 here isn't that bad a price actually. 

There's no direct comparison but the closest thing I can find from Rift Amps to the Dairy Air, would be a PT20 which is a combo which is £1750, so the difference between a Rift and a Milkman isn't huge. 

If I was looking for something Fender inspired for a bit less and UK built I'd probably have a look at the Motion Custom Works amps.  Marc at MojoPickups speaks very highly of Andrew's amps.  
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    lonestar said:

Is it the Dairy Air?  The head is $1899 in USA, so £1899 here isn't that bad a price actually. 

There's no direct comparison but the closest thing I can find from Rift Amps to the Dairy Air, would be a PT20 which is a combo which is £1750, so the difference between a Rift and a Milkman isn't huge.
    An amp the same spec as the Dairy Air head from me would be £1500ish inc VAT
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• BabonesBabones Frets: 1205
    +1 for Rift Amps. I can recommend the PB16 (in Blonde of course =)  )
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Gartone would be another one to check out.  I think there was a combo on here fairly recently.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493
    RiftAmps said:

An amp the same spec as the Dairy Air head from me would be £1500ish inc VAT
    Thanks for the info.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    edited August 2017
    maybe lonestar said:
    Gassage said:

Grrr.
    Yeah man... I'm in the Kingdom of the United. Where Murcia then? I typed 'murica  
    I been watching too many eps of The Last Kingom but a guess... Coventry??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7763
  • Just picked up on this thread and have to say my Rift Tweed Champ Twin 2x8 is probably the best piece of musical equipment I've ever bought! Having previously owned many boutique amps (carr, tone king,flynn).  
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9514
    Just picked up on this thread and have to say my Rift Tweed Champ Twin 2x8 is probably the best piece of musical equipment I've ever bought! Having previously owned many boutique amps (carr, tone king,flynn).  
    Praise indeed mate !