Changing amps rather than guitars..........

What's Hot
newi123newi123 Frets: 860
edited August 2017 in Amps
So I`ve had the same main guitar for 15 ish years now - I`m genuinely happy with it. Of course I look in the classifieds every day. That`s why we`re here, right? I occasionally look at guitars and think `that`s nice`, but never enough to buy them. Same with pedals. But amps.........

There are ALWAYS 3 or 4 things I am genuinely interested in in the amps section that would make my life better............... :-)

Currently:

Mesa mk iii (even though I know from past experience I really don`t get on with Mesas)
Shiva 2x12 combo (even though I know I don`t want to lift a 2x12 - luckily somebody else bought the head and cab)
Tonemaster (even though I know it`ll be way too loud to gig at optimum levels)
Sportsman 1x10 (really, really miss the Carr Vincent and always wanted a princeton) 

Help me!!!!!!!!!!!

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• leerockerleerocker Frets: 607
    edited August 2017
    Tone master is fine to gig I use mine at home and it has an attenuation switch on the back and the volume taper is good
     Shiva is a good amp as well  and i preferred ot over tge xtc All depends on what sound  your going for. Bogner is marshall territory 
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1815
    edited August 2017
    I was the one selling the Shiva - great amps, do that Bogner thing that nobody else can touch - best clean channel ever and certainly in Marshall flavour on the gain channel - I don't care what anyone says - the Shiva is NOT a gain monster, its vintage levels of gain IMO - the Master makes it sound good at any level, but really shines when its up and loud.

The only amp that knocked the Shiva off its top spot for me was the Mesa Stiletto Ace (which is what I'm using now) - possibly because I wanted that older Plexi type of sound and a massive amount of gain on the other channel.

And all the above is assuming you know how to dial them in!!!
  • newi123newi123 Frets: 860
    Interesting about the Stiletto......... regretting not going for the Bogner :-(
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2896
    I always get amp GAS as well - happy with my guitar and not much of a pedal guy so amps it is! They certainly change your tone more than guitars or pedals, especially if you get all the gain from the amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72304
    They're just boxes that make things louder, why do you need more than one?

;)

OK, massive oversimplification :)... but really, why do you need more than one, or maybe a couple if they're very different? The subtleties of different amps are as irrelevant as different guitars when it comes down to it. You just need one good flexible one that will cover the basic sounds you need, and dial it into taste.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    ^ Oh, I agree completely - no need whatsoever! The amp I have sounds great and does nearly everything I want.

Doesn`t stop me wanting to change tho`................ :-)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7335
    edited August 2017
    You FEEL a good amp when playing... Is why I have 9 10 amps and 11 guitars and counting...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    One great amp lets all those guitars shine through. Just get over the lack of master volume or FX loops or heavy bulk (whatever the short commings are)  and get the sound. You can build on a good foundation and the sound will always be your friend.

• ChesterChester Frets: 52
    57Deluxe said:
    You FEEL a good amp when playing... Is why I have 9 amps and 11 guitars and counting...
    Truth!

And it's an rewarding journey, out of which a few favourites rise to the top. Not great on the wallet, but I couldn't see myself with just one amp and guitar, irrespective of how good they were. Like going to the same restaurant for the same burger .. day after day

• BGGBGG Frets: 689
    I've currently got GAS for a Victory V40, V30, V130, Sheriff 22/44 or a Brunetti Pleximan, not played any of them LOL
    #thebatesmotelband
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30290
    Chester said:
    57Deluxe said:
    You FEEL a good amp when playing... Is why I have 9 amps and 11 guitars and counting...
    Truth!

And it's an rewarding journey, out of which a few favourites rise to the top. Not great on the wallet, but I couldn't see myself with just one amp and guitar, irrespective of how good they were. Like going to the same restaurant for the same burger .. day after day

You could always have chicken mc'nuggets for a change.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • I'm an amp slut, I've owned loads, I have used EVH amps for a good while and owned many others during this time. I've got myself a Diezel Einstein from my mate LeeRocker (who incidentally has been the supplier of most of my second hand amps-nice one mate!) I like it a lot and I like my DG modded EVH50. But it has no switchable clean channel (not so as I can run the right combination at gigs) so I've decided to run the both for gigs. Fulltone ABY, EVH DG 50 head with two 1x12's (creamback G12M65's) and Einstein with a vertical CAA 2x12 (creambacks at the moment but soon to change them for V30's as it sounds fantastic through my V30 loaded Mills Acoustics Afterburner 4x12. So now I have clean (EVH Green channel) crunch (EVH blue channel and Diezel mega mode) lead1- Diezel ch2 and EVH blue, lead 2- Diezel ch2 and EVH red, lead 3- Diezel ch2 plus boost and EVH Red or blue -add to taste. All effects either going through EVH loop or the rest are in front. Fairly uncomplicated but hell what a big sound! Well happy!
    ^ that sounds epic! :-)
    ^ that sounds epic! :-)
  • hotpickupshotpickups Frets: 1820
    Love my lazy j20 but my Rd Dualist is much more versatile. Perfect together :)
    Link to my trading feedback:  http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/59452/