The attributes that seperate great Reverb pedals from ones not as good ?

What's Hot
TelejesterTelejester Frets: 743
edited August 2017 in FX
Been looking into reverb pedals and quite taken aback as to how costly they can be. I believe you get what you pay for but don't think price tag is the be all end all.I really don't need a pedal with 10 different sounds and loads of control knobs that can cause boogie-esque constant adjustment and fiddling. Give me one or two great sounds and a control to set effect level and I'm happy. What qualities identify a great Reverb pedal irrespective of price tag ?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Personally, I like a reverb with a "level" control, rather than a "mix" or "blend" knob. I don't want it to overtake my clean signal just because I want a lot of reverb. Apart from that, I like a semi-realistic spring sound and a decent hall that doesn't have that "juddery" and grainy decay that a lot of the older digital reverbs have. All of the high end pedals are way too complicated for me - I like the Boss RV5 the most. Decent spring, good hall setting and I like the modulated setting a lot.
    Shimmer etc does nothing for me. I actually think it sounds stupid when I use it, but I've heard a lot of people make it sound great. Plate reverb is just boring. Room setting... boring.

From what I understand, verb pedals are generally expensive because of the processors they use. If my amp didn't have reverb, I'd personally look into something like the Demeter pedal, or if I was loaded, a standalone Fender tank. I could handle just having a really great spring verb. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Great ones make you go "Aaaaaaahh"
    Not so good ones make you go "Eh?"

(but you only get an "Oo" with Typhoo!)

My Catalinbread Talisman makes me go "Aaaaaaahh"
  • Best I've heard are the ones in the Axe FX 2 (FX8/AX8).

Realistic and lush sounds with plenty of control. Shame I don't have much use for it most of the time since I generally need a dry sound, or delay, but they sound excellent.

To me it should be easy to get a smooth diffusion that doesn't sound like lots of short harsh sounding delays
  • Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
    I'm not 100% convinced it's worth the upcharge... comparing reverb tails on good studio monitors is hard enough, guitar speakers are anything but accurate and have their own innate low pass filter anyway. I like mine boingy but not too long.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    I've not used some of the other high end ones so I don't know how they compare btu the Big Sky is amazing.  Eventually you do get down to 5 or 6 settings that you save and use regularly.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14423
    JDE said:
    a standalone Fender [6G15] tank. 
    I like the BOSS FRV-1. 
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • juansolojuansolo Frets: 1773
    I've yet to hear a pedal that sounds like a real spring reverb. Nothing really gets close to it.

As for the others, there's two camps, the ones you can load patches from you computer too, and those that are a traditional effects pedal with either a single or a few knobs on them. The latter tend to be brick based and are variations on a theme and can sound very good. The former are things like the TC stuff, which do something different, but equally pretty good. I suppose the third option is the high-end stuff like Eventide and the like which is more like having a rack effect in a stomp box.

Which you prefer is entirely down to what you want to get out of it.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    edited August 2017
    How little you wanna spend??

Apart from great Fender Reverbs in my Fender amps and a great selection in my BOSS ME-5, I have two cheapos that are even better! Total price paid for these two was only £37 new...

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1V6AmRFXXXXb.XFXXq6xXFXXXo/Caline-CP-26-Snake-Bite-Reverb-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-reverb-guitar-stompbox-with-delay-effect-no.jpg_640x640.jpg

<Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Apart from great Fender Reverbs in my Fender amps and a great selection in my BOSS ME-5, I have two cheapos that are even better! Total price paid for these two was only £37 new...

https://ae01.alicdn.com/kf/HTB1V6AmRFXXXXb.XFXXq6xXFXXXo/Caline-CP-26-Snake-Bite-Reverb-Guitar-Effect-Pedal-reverb-guitar-stompbox-with-delay-effect-no.jpg_640x640.jpg

that Mosky pedal is a total rip of Malekko's artwork
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    JDE said:
    I like the BOSS FRV-1. 
    Yeah, but again, if I had lots of money, I'd go for the tank!
  • 57Deluxe said:

-suspect the internals aren't exactly original either tbh. 
  • MajorscaleMajorscale Frets: 1558
    Mr Black Supermoon... beautiful
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    JDE said:
    I like the BOSS FRV-1. 
    I've done a direct A/B with the FRV-1 and a 6G15. Couldn't tell the difference.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72306
    longshins said:

I've done a direct A/B with the FRV-1 and a 6G15. Couldn't tell the difference.
    Same here - an original '64. Or more accurately, I could but mostly because the Boss doesn't hum (good) and doesn't crash when you kick it (slightly disappointing!).

After all that I prefer the RV-5 though, because the FRV-1 does just that one thing, no matter how good it is. The Spring setting isn't too far off - it still does that 'drip' effect when you turn it up all the way - and the Modulate is fantastic.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3586
    If you are playing surf or such like that has reverb as a significant feature of the sound (in which case get a decent spring and be done with it) I think that the subtleties of fine reverb is lost once the keys/bass/drums harmonies come in. To that end for my use (and we are not all the same) then reverb is reverb. I tend to think a good amplifier with a dimensional sound is as important if not importanter!
  • ChalkyChalky Frets: 6811
    A big difference to making a good reverb great is pre-delay, the time before the reverberations start, but its not so common on stompboxes.
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598
    Chalky said:I 
    A big difference to making a good reverb great is pre-delay, the time before the reverberations start, but its not so common on stompboxes.
    ^^ Another reason why I like the Talisman so much.
    There's a YouTube video of a Talisman into the front of an overdriven Marshall which really helped my purchase decision too.
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9527
    - Warmth
    - The ability to stay clear in the mix
    - lack of metallic splash (the Talisman excels at this)

• 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7338
    57Deluxe said:

-suspect the internals aren't exactly original either tbh. 
    sounds exactly the same as the Malekko - I love mine to bits!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>