Doh! I'm such a dunce!

What's Hot
Knocking up a guitar body at the moment. Glued the top on yesterday. Just remembered today that I was going to chamber it first to reduce the weight! Aaaaarggghhh!!! Oh well, heavy guitar.

The problems I have are no work space, no decent tools to work with, no bench, and the fragmented process of only doing some bits of things some evenings. It all adds up to a rather chaotic process, maybe not for an intelligent, organised person, but it does for me. Oh well, in the grand scheme of events it's not the worst problem - at least I didn't glue the fretboard on without putting the truss rod in ......
2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• WezVWezV Frets: 16543

If it is too heavy you still have options.  You can either make it thinner from the back, or do that, hollow it out from behind and cap the back as well as the front.   Or smuggler routes if its getting a guard.

It really does pay to write a list.  You don't have to stick to it

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • axisusaxisus Frets: 28280
    WezV said:

If it is too heavy you still have options.  You can either make it thinner from the back, or do that, hollow it out from behind and cap the back as well as the front.   Or smuggler routes if its getting a guard.

It really does pay to write a list.  You don't have to stick to it

I'm normally a bit better. My no 2 build stalled for about 4 months after going pear shaped several times. I started this as a whim seeing a guitar I liked, and I've been rattling through the whole thing at great pace. I think I can probably live with the weight, I mostly play sitting on my amp to be honest. It's a tad annoying but that's all.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • LozboyLozboy Frets: 80
    Its a labour of love.I always admire you project build guys.
  • DanielsguitarsDanielsguitars Frets: 3261
    tFB Trader
    Belly contours would reduce weight too 
    www.danielsguitars.co.uk
    (formerly customkits)
  • RabsRabs Frets: 2602
    tFB Trader
    Yeah...  After first making all the mistakes you possibly can..  You then have to not get too complacent and not make those same mistakes again, not from being inexperienced but from being a bit too cocky  :) ... Its an easy and human thing to do.
  • IvisonGuitarsIvisonGuitars Frets: 6838
    tFB Trader
    I find it's good to have lots of tools to blame too...
    http://www.ivisonguitars.com
    (formerly miserneil)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Pictures, or it didn't happen!