Downsizing

hutchy29hutchy29 Frets: 1
Hi everyone!
Been a lurker for a while and figured it was my time to input as gas has reached an all time high! 

Currently own a Vox VT100 which is just too big (size wise) and I've been looking to upgrade & downsize and maybe grab a couple of pedals while I'm at it.

Grabbing my attention at the moment is a PRS Sonzera 20W.

Used to gig but I'm just a lonely bedroom player now, but the opportunity may come up to play some small gigs at some point doing some heavy-ish high gain stuff but I'm after more of an all rounder for when I'm home.
There's not much out there apart from PRS artist opinions on the Sonzera. 

Anyone had much experience with these?

Any other suggestions are welcome but I'd like to keep the cost below £700 for the amp.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• jellybellyjellybelly Frets: 755
    I've no experience with any of the PRS amps I'm afraid. If you're after more of a 'home' solution I'd recommend not picking a 20 watt valve amp that's designed for gigging - it'll never sound its best and if you don't know what band you might be in it might not cut it!

id say look at something like a Yamaha THR10 (the 'X' model does high gain) or something similar, or maybe a Boss Katana amp that could also work live but wouldn't be held back at home volumes.

I'm sure others will have some good suggestions too!
  • kennedydream1980kennedydream1980 Frets: 1156
    edited August 2017

I would recommend a Blackstar HT5R head and a nice efficient 1x12 cab. They sound great a low bedroom volumes and are loud enough to gig with (Mic'd up). I gig mine in a 5 piece covers band doing weddings, corporate events and local pubs / working mens clubs.

It more than holds its own in a gigging environment, the other guitarist in my band uses a Marshall JVM combo and I have no problem hearing myself on stage.

The emulated out is also excellent and very useful at home, I run the amp direct into my Mac Book at home into Presonus studio one for recording, it sounds great.

Added bonus is they are small in size and nice and light.

They have tons of gain on tap, but also have a very nice clean channel that takes pedals well.

• Thanks! I have tried the yamahas before but I was never really impressed, I'll look into both of those though thanks! 

"Home" volume levels aren't too much of an issue as I live in a detached at the moment not really near any pesky neighbours :smiley: I'll see if I can get a test drive on all 3.
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422
    +1 for the Blackstar HT-5 or, even, their HT-1. 

Money no object? Cornell Vintage Brown 10. These should be filtering onto the pre-owned market by now.
    You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26565
    Jet City, man. The JCA22H is phenomenal for high-gain stuff, although not so much if you want crystal clean at the same time...in that case, the Custom 22 is nuts-on for most needs.

Oh, and they're both less than £300, but don't let that fool you - they're excellent amps. Add a decent cab to your taste (given that there's plenty in the budget) and you've got a portable rig that's great for home and great for gigs. I use a JCA22H live with a pretty heavy rock band, and I've never wanted for headroom or volume.
    <space for hire>