Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

Best Les Paul colours ? Fave neck profiles..50s or 60s ?

Comments

• 60s neck.

Goldtop or black standard.  Customs look nice in black or white.  Always chrome hardware, never gold.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mcsdanmcsdan Frets: 451
    goldtop or iced tea.

50s neck.
  • siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    Do you think Gibson scrapping colours such as iced tea black and gold top in the latest traditionals is indicative of their sales figures/popularity ??
  • Adam_MDAdam_MD Frets: 3420
    I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop as I'm saving for a Les Paul and really like the current traditionals so I'll have to buy used.
  • Hertz32Hertz32 Frets: 2248
    edited February 2014
    60's neck
    plaintop Wine red or plaintop vintage/tobacco burst. 

My favorite Les Paul of all time is the Gibson CS Slash Les Paul with the fishman powerbridge.
    Not a Slash fanboy, but I just love the way that thing looks and sounds...
    'Awibble'
    Vintage v400mh mahogany topped dreadnought acoustic FS - £100 
  • IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Adam_MD;167566" said:
    I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop as I'm saving for a Les Paul and really like the current traditionals so I'll have to buy used.
    Would a 2013 on credit suit you then?

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid30112/cid671/gibson-les-paul-traditional-pro-ii-50s-neck-gold-top.asp

Gets you your goldtop finish.

Previously known as stevebrum
  • jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    Dark burst, TV yellow, black, gold top, biggest neck I can get.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • Panama_Jack666Panama_Jack666 Frets: 2988
    edited February 2014
    http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v118/turquoisemoleeater/guitars/LP_lattecreme.jpg

This colour gives me a belt busting erection. Cafe Creme/Latte Les Paul. Only every seen two for sale. Almost pulled the trigger on one - ended up not buying it and I regret it so much! I didn't have the di$posable to afford the second one.

Anyway, I'm a 50's neck kinda guy. The fatter the better, I think my 339 neck is the fattest neck I've played... My Les Paul is probably more 60's. I still love it, it's a beast of a guitar, but if I could change anything about it, it'd be the neck profile!
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    Adam_MD said:
    I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop 
    They're what now ? Are they f'cking mad ???????????

(Well yes we know they are with the Firewood-X, but nevertheless this is bonkers)
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
  • JalapenoJalapeno Frets: 6378
    I'll bet this is a marketing scam to make Goldtops Custom Shop only !
    Imagine something sharp and witty here ......

Feedback
    Iamnobody;167580" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;167566"]I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop as I'm saving for a Les Paul and really like the current traditionals so I'll have to buy used.

http://www.andertons.co.uk/solid-body-electric-guitars/pid30112/cid671/gibson-les-paul-traditional-pro-ii-50s-neck-gold-top.asp

[/quote]

I don't do credit once I've got the cash together I'll go looking.
  • NeilNeil Frets: 3594
    edited February 2014
    Vintage sunburst, '60's neck but I'd have to say that wouldn't I?  ;)

• IamnobodyIamnobody Frets: 6887
    Adam_MD;167668" said:
    [quote="Iamnobody;167580"][quote="Adam_MD;167566"]I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop as I'm saving for a Les Paul and really like the current traditionals so I'll have to buy used.

[/quote]

I don't do credit once I've got the cash together I'll go looking. [/quote]

I'm not a big fan of credit either apart from the obvious like mortgage etc.

However if you are sensible as it's almost certain you are with your take on credit you could take the 0% option and pay it off within the 9 months and it costs you nowt extra.

I've taken 0% on things (assuming no room for cash bargaining) even when I've had the available funds for stuff.

Still it's refreshing to hear someone doing it the old fashioned way of saving up first!

Good luck!
    Previously known as stevebrum
    Iamnobody;167856" said:
    [quote="Adam_MD;167668"][quote="Iamnobody;167580"][quote="Adam_MD;167566"]I was really disappointed they dropped goldtop as I'm saving for a Les Paul and really like the current traditionals so I'll have to buy used.

[/quote]

I don't do credit once I've got the cash together I'll go looking. [/quote]

I'm not a big fan of credit either apart from the obvious like mortgage etc.

However if you are sensible as it's almost certain you are with your take on credit you could take the 0% option and pay it off within the 9 months and it costs you nowt extra.

I've taken 0% on things (assuming no room for cash bargaining) even when I've had the available funds for stuff.

Still it's refreshing to hear someone doing it the old fashioned way of saving up first!

Good luck!
    [/quote]

I won't lie and say I haven't been tempted by the interest free options the last few years but me and Mrs_MD only moved across from Belfast to Northampton in November for my work. She had to leave her job so I could take a bigger region and I'm hesitant to get into using interest free/credit cards etc until she's employed again. I also don't really like borrowing to fund gas/fun things incase unforeseeable shit happens. I've got about £650 in the gas pot now though so it shouldn't be long before I can add another goldtop to the stable. :D
    I've got a goldtop prs and gold flake epi so the next one has to be a goldtop trad or R7, if I can get a good price on one and only if it's significantly better than the traditional.
  • Adam_MD said: The next one has to be a goldtop trad or R7, if I can get a good price on one and only if it's significantly better than the traditional.
    It will be.  ;)
    250+ positive trading feedbacks: http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/57830/
  • Something like this one would be perfect for me, 50's neck, gloss finish, lemon burst with irregular flames and mineral streaks. YUM!

• Tea and honey bursts for me, not keen on cherry. 

I do quite like the darker tobacco bursts as well.

Old beat up goldtops, not shinny new ones.

Not keen on flat colours on Les Pauls. 

• ....and 60s neck.
  • usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    And gold top.
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• siraxemansiraxeman Frets: 1935
    That amber sex burst wood posted above is gorgeous!