What's Hot

Quick question

Whats the difference between a curved and flat Nut bottom

(Yes Im ordering a USACG neck!))

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• usedtobeusedtobe Frets: 3841
    One's curved, and the other's flat..!
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • someone had to say it didn they
    Yeah, sorry - open goal..

I think the slots in the fretboard come similarly straight or curved, and sometimes the nuts come curved, but with a little nib in the middle that makes them suitable for a straight slot. No doubt someone more sensible and knowledgeable will be along soon...
     so if you fancy a reissue of a guitar they never made in a colour they never used then it probably isn't too overpriced.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 71960
    edited February 2014
    It depends on whether the nut slot is flat-bottomed or curved like the fingerboard. You need to match the two.

Avoid the ones like in usedtobe's last post, they're a bodge and sound poor - the nut needs to be in proper contact with the neck, not with gaps under it. (Unless you're simply going to remove the 'nib' entirely and use it as a plain curved nut.) Get the right one, do the job right.

(No offence intended!)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

• mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    usedtobe said:
    . No doubt someone more sensible ...

Optimist :-?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Yeah thanks!

what I was after is why are they different - Im having the neck made so it will match - just wanted to know why the options existed in the first place

None taken - if you meant me.. You're one of the guys, whose comments I look out for, if I want to know what's what!

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    usedtobe;167492" said:

Getting one of these for me Allparts neck, I'll have the nib off tho.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."
  • impmannimpmann Frets: 12646
    usedtobe said:
    Yes they are fine if you take the nib off - Graphtec make great nuts. :-)

Never Ever Bloody Anything Ever.

• ESBlondeESBlonde Frets: 3576

Yeah thanks!

what I was after is why are they different - Im having the neck made so it will match - just wanted to know why the options existed in the first place

Once upon a time the whole neck and fingerboard were one piece of maple wood. Then the fingerboard was added on top of the neck with a flat joint between them. Later still the fingerboards got thinner and were more like an equal thickness laminate glued on top of the now curved neck top. At this stage the whole of the neck is machined curved so the nut needed to be too to save another machining operation at assembly time.

• jd0272jd0272 Frets: 3867
    edited February 2014
    That said, my one piece Allparts neck has a curved slot. You'd think they'd have just cut it straight! Edit: flat.
    "You do all the 'widdly widdly' bits, and just leave the hard stuff to me."