Marshall 1974x

What's Hot
mark_jwedgemark_jwedge Frets: 315
im really interested in one of these as I just love the sound of them. Just wondering about a couple of things. Has anyone used them regularly and are they loud enough for the usual unmiced pub gigs in a two guitar band? Also is it possible to fit and FX loop to them so I can use a clean boost in it for a solo lift? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• shaunmshaunm Frets: 1591
    @lustycourtier over to you mate
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2569
    tFB Trader
    Band situation depends on your other band members, replace the green back with a G12H or better yet an Alnico Creamback and it should do most gigs, as long as clean headroom is not required. if your other band member has a 100w stack then forget it.

The drive sound comes from over driving the power section, so an effects loop is a gargantuan waste of time on this amp, there is only one gain stage before the power section so there really is no point, I know this as I have fitted effects loops and the end users pretty much always don't bother with them.

What you can do though is use both channels and an A/B selector and set the volumes differently.

I built one 10 years ago and it is a cracking amp that most guitarist admire at gigs/practices.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • I gig with one either on it's own, or with a matching 1x12. In a small boozer, you could use it unmiced but I tend to just have a bit through the PA. it's a gloriously simple amp so an FX loop wouldn't be hard, but if that's what interested me I'd be looking at other options than modding, like an AC15 or Bad Cat black Cat, which I've owned both of and from memory both had loops. 
  • OssyrocksOssyrocks Frets: 1673
    I have one and have gigged it quite a bit. They are loud enough to gig with so long as you don't require squeaky clean headroom. 

I upgraded my speaker to to an Alnico gold which made a dramatic improvement in tone and volume.

Rob
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 71952
    An FX loop on these is pointless, as Modulus_Amps said. The signal is still completely clean after the first valve stage so the only difference for the pedal would be to run at a higher level - which might actually make the pedal distort, rather than the amp.

If you're using the amp fairly overdriven for your rhythm sound you can't get a solo boost at all, in volume terms - boosting the input might even make it sound *quieter*, since it will make the amp more compressed. A treble boost or upper-mid boost can work though - by narrowing the frequency range you can make an amp cut through better, and it can even increase the perceived volume slightly.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Just because I don't care, doesn't mean I don't understand." - Homer Simpson

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I love the sound of these amps but the earlier ones had Transformer issues and yes is debatable whether that great 'in your bedroom' dynamic and sounds translate to a live band scenario. Best get 2
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Not sure how similar the circuit is, but I gig with an MJW Bantam which is loud enough in a 2 guitar band.  Obviously speaker choice is critical.  Clean cleans are not really a feature at gig volumes.  For increased headroom check out a 36 watter with double the EL84's and a similar sound. 
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3113
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    An FX loop is redundant in this circuit, as mentioned above. The trick for pub/club gigging is to use a) an efficent speaker (100db-ish) and b) a really good boost pedal for your solos.

If you're not fussed about Tremolo, I offer both a two-channel version (one channel has a JTM45 TMB tonestack) that you can ABY for different tones, and a single channel MV version with TMB+Presence and Reverb.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• Thanks for the feedback everyone. Looks as if, although I love the sound, the 1974x might not work for me from a power/features/practicality point of view. Might be worth me saving a few more pennies and looking at the bigger 'blues breaker' combo.

Incidentally, having had a look around at a few more amps the Freidman Dirty Shirley 40watt 1x12 looks to have the features I'm after, namely, single channel, FX loop, powerful enough for unmic'd gigs and a combo. I have never heard one in the flesh though. From some of the things I have read it claims to have a JTM 45 ball park sound and go from there??
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    I have gas for one of these and I am in the same boat regarding power. That said I am having a half power switch fitted to my 2204 so it will be interesting to see how that keeps up at 25w.
    @rico they will cut through a mix quite differently as the 2204 is a good bit brighter than the 18 watt 1974x. 

I found the 18 watt I had cut through well but not if you play in a twin guitar band. 
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    shaunm said:
    @rico they will cut through a mix quite differently as the 2204 is a good bit brighter than the 18 watt 1974x. 

I found the 18 watt I had cut through well but not if you play in a twin guitar band. 
    My covers band is twin guitar and the other guitarist uses a Blues Deluxe and my 2204 complements it pretty well. 
    Yeah, I'd have thought that would be a great mix as you're not covering the same ground. 

The issue I had with the 18 watt is that in a twin guitar band it didn't cut through the mix quite enough. It was loud enough but because it was compressing so much it got a little lost.
  • They do a 2x12 model. 
  • VoxmanVoxman Frets: 4718
    shaunm said:

I had an original 1958...the 2 x10 version. Cuts through the mix much better than the 1974. Its a little toppier and more vintage sounding.  
    I started out with nothing..... but I've still got most of it left (Seasick Steve)