Adjusting Nut Slot

The G string on my Squier Bullet Mustang is a bit too high at the nut---the other strings pass the "fret at 3rd fret, 1st fret should only have a teeny clearance" test but the G string fails pretty badly so I have to capo it at first fret to get open chords in tune! 

Since this was only £115 brand new I want to have a go at fixing it myself before paying someone to do it for me---I've got one of those welder nozzle cleaner tools so I think that'll do the trick. 

My question is- what is the process? Are you aiming for something that's a v shape? Should it be level? Any pointers towards what I'm trying to do other than make it slightly deeper? 
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    edited August 2017
    I would go with very slightly deeper on the head stock side of the nut to guarantee the string vibrates from the front (fingerboard side) of the nut, otherwise intonation will be out....
    I slacken the string just enough to be able to lift it out of its usual slot and drop into an adjacent one on top of the string thats there...file a bit try it, file a bit try it...it's very easy to take too much off... when you think you are there put the string back into its own slot and tune to bitch and recheck......good luck!
    What's your impression of the guitar, looks like a great modding platform!......
    I may have to invest!....
    Edit...bought one, madness not to at the price! Im going to mod ot...
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14320
    Dan is the man.

Be seeing you.
  • paulnb57 said:
    I would go with very slightly deeper on the head stock side of the nut to guarantee the string vibrates from the front (fingerboard side) of the nut, otherwise intonation will be out....
    I slacken the string just enough to be able to lift it out of its usual slot and drop into an adjacent one on top of the string thats there...file a bit try it, file a bit try it...it's very easy to take too much off... when you think you are there put the string back into its own slot and tune to bitch and recheck......good luck!
    What's your impression of the guitar, looks like a great modding platform!......
    I may have to invest!....
    Edit...bought one, madness not to at the price! Im going to mod ot...
    Thanks, I'll give it a bash. 

They're really cool guitars, given the price point. I haven't played mine all that much tbh, mainly because the nut need sorting out. The finish on the body is awesome---its sparkly blue, the neck is really well finished and comfortable, no sharp fret ends. The pickups and electronics are functional and not crackly which I think is a win at this price point. The downsides were that straight out of the box the setup was pretty crap and obviously the nut needs sorted out. Also the frets were scratchy---I had to polish them, I've never encountered this before. 

I think as a modding platform they're ace: the body is worth £115 just for the sparkly paint work IMO. If you're prepared to sort out the minor niggles that come from budget guitars they're a very decent buy. 
    edited August 2017
    @UnclePsychosis  could you measure the distance between the two E strings at the bridge please? Cheers!
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• @paulnb57 about 35.5mm I think
    Thanks Unc! @UnclePsychosis hopefully thats a typo and its 53.5!.....

• @paulnb57 ;Shit, you said bridge. I measured the nut!!!

At the bridge it's about 52mm.
    Thanks!