Whammy Dilemma

What's Hot
GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
So, I need a whammy for the band but I'm in a quandary - I have a couple of options available to me:

1) There's space on the board for a Ricochet, and I can get one for around £100, but it doesn't do harmony or detune

2) My local shop has a Whammy V in stock at the moment for £110  -  that has all the features, but would have to sit off-board (not a massive concern, just irritating)

3) The local shop also has a Whammy DT for £150 (might be able to haggle it down in price a bit) which has more features but I've no idea whether I'd actually use the extra features, but if I'm buying something to sit off-board, I might as well get the biggest bastard going to do everything.

Power wise I think I'm going to have to use the included wall-wart because my power supply doesn't give out enough mA.  

Before anyone suggests it - I'm not buying a used Whammy 4, as I might need the polyphonic-ness of the 5 or DT
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    I've had them all and have stuck with the Whammy 5. Make of that what you will.

Which one you want/need is obviously up to you, but sound quality wise, I think the Whammy 5 is the best.

You can always buy a bigger board! ;-)
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26955
    The W5 obviously gives more options but what will you actually use it for?

if it's just octave harmony or the occasional bend then the Ricochet will be plenty. If you want the full-Morello then the W5 is well worth it. Since getting a Helix it's the one pedal I really really miss.

The DT is very but I can't image ever using he extra functions myself
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    Slimbert said:

You can always buy a bigger board and a roadie to carry it! ;-)
    Edited for troof

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848
    Slimbert said:

I've committed to the board size I have (It's exactly the same width as my amp, so when loading in I can carry them together on my sack trolley)
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    W5. Easy to power has features you need and sounds great!
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    I have a Whammy 4 and now I feel 'left behind'............ ;)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
  • SRichSRich Frets: 762
    Slimbert said:
    You're going to need a bigger board! ;-)

"There's things I want, there's things I think I want 
    There's things I've had, there's things I wanna have" 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72299
    It's a shame Adolfhipster got himself banned… he'd have been able to tell you that there's no difference between a Whammy 4 and a Whammy 5.

:)

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

5reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • SlimbertSlimbert Frets: 336
    Gulliver said:
    Slimbert said:

I've committed to the board size I have (It's exactly the same width as my amp, so when loading in I can carry them together on my sack trolley)
    You can always buy a bigger amp! :-)
    Slimbert said:
    Gulliver said:
    Slimbert said:

You can always buy a bigger amp! :-)
    I could, but I've spent a week with pretty serious back pain from moving a 1x12 combo, so a bigger amp would probably cripple me!!
    Bought the DT in the end, since the Whammy 5 got sold by the shop, and they gave me a decent deal on the DT