Any Kraken users?

What's Hot
sherpa_mansherpa_man Frets: 723
I am looking for a small form metal guitar, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• professorbenprofessorben Frets: 5105
    edited August 2017
    I am looking for a small form metal guitar, just wondering what peoples thoughts are on them.

@digitalscream  had one and although I think he liked it he had trouble getting gain 1 and 2 to work together. 

I'd like to try one but I don't think anyone stocks them apart from Andertons. 

Edit* just looked. 
    Guildford
    truro
    exeter
    selby. 

Nothing in the entire middle of the country, nice one marketing dept. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • DanRDanR Frets: 1041
    I had one thought it was massively average and only one side was useable.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26564
    edited August 2017
    I thought it was an excellent amp - the only thing that let it down was the difference in low-end between the channels. I emailed the guy who made it, and switching Gain I -> Gain II doesn't just affect the bass from the preamp, it changes the negative feedback in the power amp too (ie depth/resonance).

Neither channel sounds bad in isolation, as long as you don't switch between them; this is an amp that desperately needs separate EQ between the channels. Martin Kidd did give me details of a mod which would effectively remove the bass cut between the channels, but I decided to sell the amp instead (given that modding it would reduce the value and make it harder to sell).

Personally, I ended up going back to my Jet City JCA22H - it's kind of like a Kraken but without the switching flexibility and the bass cut between channels. Also a quarter of the price.
    <space for hire>
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445
    I'd recommend the 50-watt 5150III in place of the Kraken. The weights aren't drastically different, and the 5150 sounds better. But you do have to deal with a volume jump issue between channel 1 and 2.