Boss CS-2 vs Origin Effects Cali

What's Hot
Winny_PoohWinny_Pooh Frets: 7768
I really like my CS-2 but y'know, gas. I use it mainly to boost my TD-X and I run the Vol at 15:00 and the Comp at 9:00.

I'm wondering if anyone here thinks getting the Cali would be worth the additional cost?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I really like my CS-2 but y'know, gas. I use it mainly to boost my TD-X and I run the Vol at 15:00 and the Comp at 9:00.

I'm wondering if anyone here thinks getting the Cali would be worth the additional cost?

I bloody love mine, you can do anything from a subtle fattening to a full on squelch machine. I'm still playing around with it, but it's managed to do anything the Boss comp and takes it to a level of control you get from a studio unit. Seperate vol for effect and dry mean you can squelch the hell out of it and throw the dry back in to keep it musical.

I'd say it's worth it if you have the spare cash for the cali76 deluxe. It's the only compressor my missus can actually see why I have on guitar, the rest she just said as long as I was happy and trotted off to get some more wine
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24267
    Yes. 
  • I owned the CS-2, Effectrode, Cornish, the Cali and the Sliderig (at different times) - my favourite was the CS-2. 

The Cornish sounded incredible because of the buffer, but my favourite after the CS-2 was the Sliderig. It had an amazing amount of sustain due to the second compressor, and it was easier to use than the Cali (which was also nice).

What you've (knowingly or unknowingly) done here is pick the two compressors that add something unique to the tone. The Cornish and Effectrode don't, but the Boss and Origin pedals certainly add a flavour of something.
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9529
    edited August 2017
    Jonathan's post above is 100% bang on in my humble opinion, and actually may help me out with a dilemna...

I currently own the Cornish OC-1 and the Slide Rig Compact Deluxe. 

Pete Cornish OC-1

The OC-1 is totally silent, and I use it quite subtly; as a slight volume boost, with a hint of comp blended in. I dont know what it is in this pedal (the buffer maybe ?), but the pedal def adds a little 'something' - a little sparkle and a little 'warmth' ?? I dunno, it just sounds great.... Strat clean, into OC-1 into Carr Rambler. Perfect.

Slide Rig Compact Deluxe

Now this can get noisier, but the SRCD adds its own colour and flavour (as @Jonathanthomas83 described above). It sounds great, especially when used as a more traditional compressor. It has a HUGE variety of sounds and textures to it.

Mynwife heard me playing just clean with the SRCD, and said "when you sound as good as that, I dont know why you would want to buy any more pedals..."

I much prefer the Slide Rig to the Cali 76 CD I owned.

My dilemna ? Do I keep the OC-1 and two comps on my board ? Both add something that the other doesn't...

PS - other notable comps, imho, which I have owned and recommend include;

a. Fairfiled Account - simple, delightful - almost adds a bit of low gain/grit

b. Barber Tone Press - simple, lovely, vastly underrated 

c. VFE White House - no longer made but still around. Does have its own brilliant gain knob

d. Cali 76 CD
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Jonathan's post above is 100% bang on in my humble opinion, and actually may help me out with a dilemna...

Pete Cornish OC-1

The OC-1 is totally silent, and I use it quite subtly; as a slight volume boost, with a hint of comp blended in. I dont know what it is in this pedal (the buffer maybe ?), but the pedal def adds a little 'something' - a little sparkle and a little 'warmth' ?? I dunno, it just sounds great.... Strat clean, into OC-1 into Carr Rambler. Perfect.

Slide Rig Compact Deluxe

Now this can get noisier, but the SRCD adds its own colour and flavour (as @Jonathanthomas83 described above). It sounds great, especially when used as a more traditional compressor. It has a HUGE variety of sounds and textures to it.

Mynwife heard me playing just clean with the SRCD, and said "when you sound as good as that, I dont know why you would want to buy any more pedals..."

My dilemna ? Do I keep the OC-1 and two comps on my board ? Both add something that the other doesn't...

c. VFE White House - no longer made but still around. Does have its own brilliant gain knob

d. Cali 76 CD
    @Wazmeister ;Thank you, mate. You could replace the OC-1 with his buffer to maintain that typical Cornish vibe we all know and love (that's what's doing the magic there...think about it, the SR does everything else the OC-1 can do). That and the SR and you're done for life, it's a fantastic combination and was my final iteration before I went digital.

In fact, it pains me to say that the Cornish buffer and SR are arguably the only things I can't fully replicate and miss from my current setup. (Maybe the Big Sky too, maybe!).
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
    @Jonathanthomas83 - good advice mate. I still think that the OC-1 is special though (and silent).

I did have the LD-3 with the Cali 76, and they sounded cool.

Which did you run first on your board ?
  • mal1971mal1971 Frets: 16
    I have the Cali 76 deluxe and I really like it.  It kind of sounds like warmer studio compressor to me.  It's on my main board.  Last night I gigged with my small board which has the empress.  It's also a good compressor but transparent... like no extra warmth.  I still really like it and is easy to dial in a good sound.

• damm73damm73 Frets: 358
    Jonathan's post above is 100% bang on in my humble opinion, and actually may help me out with a dilemna...

Pete Cornish OC-1

Slide Rig Compact Deluxe

d. Cali 76 CD
    I had the EXACT same dilemma. The answer is keep the SR and replace the OC1 with a Clouds Hill fx Laut. 
    @damm73 - never heard of that Clouds Hill - whats it like mate ?