Alternatives to a blues junior

What's Hot
Ok so currently i am on the hunt for a new small gigging combo.

I have very few specs that i need, such as it being a 1x12, somewhere around 20 watts or 15 if it has quite a lot of clean headroom, smallish cab, lightweight if i can help it, and with EL84s.

So obviously i have seen the popular options like the Fender blues junior or  bassbreaker 15, Blackstar HT20, Vox AC15, Hughes and Kettner tubemeister 18 twelve, but i like to look at alllll of my options first :)

So do any of you good people know of anything that will fit the bill that i might not have come across?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Session BluesBaby. Has the advantage of not blowing up every 6 months. 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Mesa Boogie Express 25.  
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • uncledickuncledick Frets: 406
    Mesa Boogie Express 25.  
    Or the Studio 22 on here.  Both very capable amps and will work either as a pedal platform or just plug in and go.
  • any two-rock 22 combo
    https://www.gbmusic.co.uk/

PA Hire and Event Management
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    Blues Juniors are pretty disappointing sounding. Pro Junior sounds better but has no reverb. If you want Fender save a bit more and get a Princeton Reverb - you won't regret it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • the best sounding small valve amp I've played though is the Supro Tremo-verb (the current production re-issue). 1x10 speaker though, but plenty of low end and mids. Similar weight and size to a Blues Junior, sounded better than the Princeton and louder than a Deluxe Reverb. About £1,200 though, so not cheap.

Regarding the Blues Junior I honestly don't understand all the negativity and snobbery towards them. Some of the best musicians I know use them regularly for smaller gigs (players that are on some of the biggest gigs, not hobbyist). Granted they still take their Kemper or boutique amps out for bigger gigs, but the Blues Junior sounds great if you know what you're doing with it (and aren't expecting it to do the Mesa Rectifier thing).

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Laney Lionheart (EL84s) 20w combo. They aren't the best at keeping their value so you might get a used bargain.

Yerasov GTA15, you could have two. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • MickeyjiMickeyji Frets: 108
    Another vote for the Mesa Express 25 - although it should be the Plus version. That's a very capable amp in a small package, gets the job well done in almost any situation except maybe death metal.
  • the_twin said:
    Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues. Or just against valve amps in general as the session is solid state?
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    the_twin said:
    Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues. Or just against valve amps in general as the session is solid state?
    Every 6 months is probably overstating it unless the amp is being run very hard or you're unlucky, but the Blues Junior does seem to wear out EL84s faster than some amps.  I think it may be because the bias is not adjustable and is set quite hot.  
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 410
    Laney Lionheart (EL84s) 20w combo. They aren't the best at keeping their value so you might get a used bargain.

Yerasov GTA15, you could have two. 
    Good shout.  The Yerasov has a real gutsy girthy sound, and doesn't cost a lot.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • Boogie are showing up quite a few times, not an amp i had ever considered as it was way past my price range but actually they dont seem to hold their second hand value very well and there are some decent bargains. Might have to try one out, also the Laney is on my list now cheers guys :)
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    Yerasov GTA15  AND a Session BluesBaby... way I'd go...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues.
    Yes, they do. This is a not untypical failure…

My dislike of them is largely for this sort of thing - the tone is a matter of taste (although I do find them boxy and one-dimensional, I admit), but the build quality is a more objective issue. This failure is caused by very poor board layout.

My dislike of them isn't snobbery, it's because I think they are a not very well-designed, fairly poorly-built, and very overpriced amp for what they are. Unlike its bigger brother the Hotrod Deluxe - which is less than 50% more expensive but has almost three times the power, roughly twice the features, and is noticeably better-made. If the Blues Junior was less than half the price of the Hotrod that would be closer to its real value.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• chrisj1602chrisj1602 Frets: 3963
    The new Orange Rocker 15?
  • RMJRMJ Frets: 1274
    Tone king falcon;)
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    the_twin said:
    I had a mark 3 Blues Junior. Valves would last 6-12 months. When they fail a grid resistor is often collateral damage. I had it modded to run at a lower bias, but that didn't make much difference. When it caught fire in a similar manner to ICBM's picture, I decided I'd had enough. 
  • sweepysweepy Frets: 4180
    Get a Boss Katana, end of story
  • RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3137
    tFB Trader
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:
    I had a mark 3 Blues Junior. Valves would last 6-12 months. When they fail a grid resistor is often collateral damage. I had it modded to run at a lower bias, but that didn't make much difference. When it caught fire in a similar manner to ICBM's picture, I decided I'd had enough. 
    If I'm ever in a guitar shop that sells these, I always have a peek at the EL84s to see how cooked they are. Usually the answer is very, even when new.
    *I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• hmm very interesting, than you gentlemen. i didn't know about the biasing and reliability issue of the JR and that is a huge tick in the "against" column now. Continuing on, are there any in a similar vein that are built more conscientiously? because i will admit to rather liking the tone. I reckon i am ideally after a one channel 20 watt combo with decent headroom to it that doesn't break up when running at gig levels, and a nice mid push character about it a la el84. I like gear that is a little out of the ordinary, for example i most recently sold a Koch Studiotone 20 that i LOVED which had some great features.

Apologies for any incoherency, i am under the influence of Hobgoblin and Bier De Luxe