Alternatives to a blues junior

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• olafgartenolafgarten Frets: 1648
    I imagine the Orange AD30 would get you in that ballpark, probably sound a bit darker and would have more gain available.  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • Egnator Tweaker? I've got the head version, and it's pretty decent and very flexible
  • BucketBucket Frets: 7751
    Laney Cub 12R has a fair few parallels with the Blues Jr spec-wise and is less than half the price - I tried one a long time ago and remember thinking it was quite good. May be worth a look.
    - "I'm going to write a very stiff letter. A VERY stiff letter. On cardboard."
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26950
    Laney VC15 micced up, or Lionheart 20 if you're really set on not mic-ing
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • JCA2550JCA2550 Frets: 439
    Another plug for the Session Blues Baby here. Also, I know it's a 1x10 combo but if you get the chance, it's well worth demoing a Vox AC10. Compact, reliable great sounding grab and go  combo.
  • tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    ICBM said:
    notonlybutalso said:

Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues.
    Yes, they do. This is a not untypical failure…

My dislike of them is largely for this sort of thing - the tone is a matter of taste (although I do find them boxy and one-dimensional, I admit), but the build quality is a more objective issue. This failure is caused by very poor board layout.

My dislike of them isn't snobbery, it's because I think they are a not very well-designed, fairly poorly-built, and very overpriced amp for what they are. Unlike its bigger brother the Hotrod Deluxe - which is less than 50% more expensive but has almost three times the power, roughly twice the features, and is noticeably better-made. If the Blues Junior was less than half the price of the Hotrod that would be closer to its real value.
    Is the Pro Junior prone to this as well?  :)
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72298
    tone1 said:

Is the Pro Junior prone to this as well?  :)
    Not as far as I've ever seen. The only fault I've ever come across more than once (and only twice) on a PJ is the cap in the Zobel network on the OT failing, which results in very low output, but is easy to fix.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• tone1tone1 Frets: 5143
    @ICBM ; :) thanks...I was thinking of putting something Fendery into a nice cab I have available...think I might give the Blues Junior a miss now though...
  • tone1 said:
    @ICBM ; :) thanks...I was thinking of putting something Fendery into a nice cab I have available...think I might give the Blues Junior a miss now though...
    Yeah that was my frontrunner when i started this thread and now it has fallen and had to be sent off to the glue factory
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    RiftAmps said:
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:
    Session BluesBaby. Has the advantage of not blowing up every 6 months. 
    Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues. Or just against valve amps in general as the session is solid state?
    I had a mark 3 Blues Junior. Valves would last 6-12 months. When they fail a grid resistor is often collateral damage. I had it modded to run at a lower bias, but that didn't make much difference. When it caught fire in a similar manner to ICBM's picture, I decided I'd had enough. 
    If I'm ever in a guitar shop that sells these, I always have a peek at the EL84s to see how cooked they are. Usually the answer is very, even when new.
    How do you tell? Any tips?
  • the_twinthe_twin Frets: 130
    Look at the paper label or lettering on the valves, which will show heat damage or have partly burnt away. 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • teradaterada Frets: 5113
    I see. Thanks for the info
  • crunchmancrunchman Frets: 11446
    hmm very interesting, than you gentlemen. i didn't know about the biasing and reliability issue of the JR and that is a huge tick in the "against" column now. Continuing on, are there any in a similar vein that are built more conscientiously? because i will admit to rather liking the tone. I reckon i am ideally after a one channel 20 watt combo with decent headroom to it that doesn't break up when running at gig levels, and a nice mid push character about it a la el84. I like gear that is a little out of the ordinary, for example i most recently sold a Koch Studiotone 20 that i LOVED which had some great features.

Apologies for any incoherency, i am under the influence of Hobgoblin and Bier De Luxe
    That's as partly down to the circuit not just the type of power valve.

You can get a "mid push" out of other valves as well in the right circuit.  A Tweed style Fender has a lot more mids than a blackface/silverface style.

With all the comments on valve life, EL84s don't tend to last as long as most other types at the voltages they are run at in a lot a of guitar amps.

Try out some other amps (6V6, 6L6).  The '68 versions of the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb have a different tone stack and more mids than a typical blackface style circuit.  Might be worth trying them.  If you have the money, then the Lazy J 20 is stunning.

• RiftAmpsRiftAmps Frets: 3139
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    terada said:
    RiftAmps said:
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:
    Is that against the blues junior? i didn't know they had reliability issues. Or just against valve amps in general as the session is solid state?
    I had a mark 3 Blues Junior. Valves would last 6-12 months. When they fail a grid resistor is often collateral damage. I had it modded to run at a lower bias, but that didn't make much difference. When it caught fire in a similar manner to ICBM's picture, I decided I'd had enough. 
    If I'm ever in a guitar shop that sells these, I always have a peek at the EL84s to see how cooked they are. Usually the answer is very, even when new.

They'll look like the two on the right

*I no longer offer replacement speaker baffles*
    Rift Amplification
    Handwired Guitar Amplifiers
    Brackley, Northamptonshire
    www.riftamps.co.uk

• BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    edited August 2017
    RiftAmps said:
    terada said:
    RiftAmps said:
    the_twin said:
    the_twin said:

They'll look like the two on the right

Are they not just reliced?      
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • crunchman said:
    hmm very interesting, than you gentlemen. i didn't know about the biasing and reliability issue of the JR and that is a huge tick in the "against" column now. Continuing on, are there any in a similar vein that are built more conscientiously? because i will admit to rather liking the tone. I reckon i am ideally after a one channel 20 watt combo with decent headroom to it that doesn't break up when running at gig levels, and a nice mid push character about it a la el84. I like gear that is a little out of the ordinary, for example i most recently sold a Koch Studiotone 20 that i LOVED which had some great features.

Apologies for any incoherency, i am under the influence of Hobgoblin and Bier De Luxe
    That's as partly down to the circuit not just the type of power valve.

You can get a "mid push" out of other valves as well in the right circuit.  A Tweed style Fender has a lot more mids than a blackface/silverface style.

With all the comments on valve life, EL84s don't tend to last as long as most other types at the voltages they are run at in a lot a of guitar amps.

Try out some other amps (6V6, 6L6).  The '68 versions of the Princeton Reverb and Deluxe Reverb have a different tone stack and more mids than a typical blackface style circuit.  Might be worth trying them.  If you have the money, then the Lazy J 20 is stunning.

I have definitely played a lot of amps over the years and ok my perfect tone is probably an amalgamation of the tube, the circuit, the gain structure, the cabinet and speaker cone.

I unsurprisingly didn't explain myself very clearly in that last comment. I think the thing i like about 84's and 34's too over something like a 6L6 is not just the typically more pronounced midrange, its more about where that mid hump is. I like the mids to be slightly lower on the spectrum to make it fuller without it being too flubby, and i also just like the response the 84's give me. For my style of playing they just feel chewier. Again like i say thats just my personal preference and how it fits with my playing style but i will take those points on board and go try out a 68 reissue reverb or two :)
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom