Voting! - Composition Challenge #18 - Intro Music for thefretboard

Hi Everyone,

This is the combined Voting and Discussion thread.

Thanks to all that entered the competition.

Please use this thread to cast your votes for your favourite entries to Fretboard Challenge #18.
-------------------------------------------------------

Voting System - voters can pick their top 3 favourite entries.

First choice gets 5 points - Second choice gets 3 points - Third choice gets 1 point

Entry with the most points wins.

Simply post in this thread your top three choices for winner in order, 1st choice first etc etc. 

----------------------------------------------------------

(Note for Entrants of the competition: Self Voting is NOT Allowed)

The winner will be announced just before midnight on the 31st August, voting will close at 11.30pm on that day.

(you can edit your vote up to the time voting closes)

A reminder of the competition Guidelines:

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Intro Music for thefretboard!

------------------------------------

I know what you're thinking, why hasn't thefretboard got its own into theme like GRANDSTAND or BBC snooker? Well the answer is that you lazy bastards haven't written it yet so bloody well get on with it you little fruits! yum 
----------------

No Limits of any kind!

Please see all the entries uploaded on SoundCloud below.
https://soundcloud.com/thefretboard/sets/fretboard-challenge-18

Old Is Gold
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    Haha @Fretwired  ; I see we were both channelling Jack Bruce for our titles. :)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Haha @Fretwired  ; I see we were both channelling Jack Bruce for our titles. :)
    :-) ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27465
    Some impressive stuff here.  
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2197
    edited August 2017
    This was a game of two halves (so to speak) for me. It was hard to decide the top spot between my two favourites.  Then it was hard to decide between positions 3 and 4, where I hated leaving one out.

After much deliberation I'll go for:

5 points @steamabacus . This is a strong composition with loads of ideas. Perhaps (dare I say it) bordering on too clever and too many ideas for a theme/intro tune, but a great piece of music which is what swung it for me.

3 points @Fretwired :  This has an elegant simplicity and a catchy melody,
    something I could imagine as a theme tune.

For position 3, I decided to go for
    1 points @kin : An atmospheric piece which evoked thoughts of bleak Scandinavian dramas.

I really like your concept Dulcet Jones but would have liked to see the idea developed into a longer piece.

Great imagination all round. 
    It's not a competition.
  • 5 Points -   @stratman3142  -  This track stood out for it's almost TV Show theme feel to me.

3 Points - @steamabacus  -  The low volume start threw me for a few seconds but the rest of the track took it home nicely.

1 Point - @Fretwired  -  This one came close to 2nd place, a very nice entry.

Shout to Kin - I liked your entry but felt it was a bit mellow (said the guy whose entry was only 30 seconds long...)

These were fun to check out, wish there were more entries. 

“Theory is something that is written down after the music has been made so we can explain it to others”– Levi Clay

• steamabacussteamabacus Frets: 1265
    I hate having to pick 3 from 4. :s

So, from a purely subjective feeling-a-bit-under-the-weather-and-grumpy perspective...

1st (5 points)  @stratman3142  ; No Strings Attached   Great playing (as ever) and had that '80s BBC [insert not particularly popular sport here] highlights' vibe. ;)

2nd (3 points)  @DulcetJones Welcome  Punchy start, great sounds. Would have liked to hear a full arrangement*

3rd (1 point)  @kin ; Auria   Dark and moody - just like theFB!   =)

Wooden spoon unfortunately to @Fretwired ; - this would actually work well on daytime tv. It's a shame I don't watch daytime tv. ;)

* The bass player in my old band back in the day was obsessed with 70s tv and had loads of those 'budget big band' tv themes records. It's amazing how many of those instantly recognisable themes went off into totally unexpected musical side alleys when you heard the full arrangement. Also, some spectacularly ropey renditions - I love this Bruce Baxter Orchestra rendition where the guitarist seems to have just got back from lunch ... at the pub! :)

Wooden spoon unfortunately to @Fretwired ; - this would actually work well on daytime tv. It's a shame I don't watch daytime tv. ;)

* The bass player in my old band back in the day was obsessed with 70s tv and had loads of those 'budget big band' tv themes records. It's amazing how many of those instantly recognisable themes went off into totally unexpected musical side alleys when you heard the full arrangement. Also, some spectacularly ropey renditions - I love this Bruce Baxter Orchestra rendition where the guitarist seems to have just got back from lunch ... at the pub! :)
    I think you'll find that to 99% of the members this place resembles day time TV. You never venture downstairs to the Jeremy Kyle section ... :-)

And now I resemble a drunk guitarist after a pub lunch .. :-(

I used to work in Great Portland Street in London during the 1970s which had loads of small studios - you'd bump into some of the session guys in the pub and hear about how they'd been working 8 or more hours flat out recording dross .. your timing would probably go as would your will to live  .. :-)

Now I must listen to these tunes and pick my favourite ...

This was quite hard but the vote is in and the results are as follows:

5 points to @stratman3142 ; - great track that fits the brief perfectly - great guitar playing throughout.

3 points to @DulcetJones ; - big brash and bold .. a good theme tune for the forum.

1 point to @steamabacus - as inventive as a always and well recorded .. it didn't get second place as I thought the intro was too quiet and too long .. the main theme was great but there was lots going on .. on another task it could have taken top spot but I think a theme tune needs to 'get going' from the get go ...

@Kin .. no points as I thought this place would need a theme that was in your face .. I really liked the piece though and could see it as a theme tune for a dark thriller.

• BahHumbugBahHumbug Frets: 350
    Wow.

1st @stratman3142 - reallŷ nicely done.  A jaunty little number, really well executed, as always.
    2nd @steamabacus - again really well put together and a nice theme in the middle
    3rd @fretwired - another strong theme.

all three captured the, um, theme theme really well.
  • VeganicVeganic Frets: 673
    5 points @Fretwired  the only wat to improve this for a website would be to make it a midi file and have a revolving "thefretboard" logo

3 points @DulcetJones  moody,  hopefully would warn off anyone without an open mind.

1 point @stratman3142  I think this will win but it's a bit too Top Gear for me.

Special mention @steamabacus Maybe too much going on but inventive and strangely hypnotic.
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27465
    5pts @steamabacus - liked the concept and liked the playing even more.
    3pts @dulcetjones - for being a bit oddball, which seems appropriate to the theme
    1pts @stratman3142 - for channelling Jessica ;)
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • kinkin Frets: 1015
    5 points @Fretwired ;
    3 points @stratman3142 ;
    1 point @steamabacus ;

great efforts all-round as usual.

• 5 points @stratman3142 ;
    3 points @DulcetJones ;
    1 point @steamabacus ;
    Old Is Gold