How do you......

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• Ooooo a video that's what I need!!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7332
    there is also the annoying strangeness that some pedals don't like the part they play in the signal path. In isolation two can co-exist but put them in with some extra circuitry and cable and theyjust sulk...
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    The drive (despite internet wisdom) sucks on the prosonic!!
    WUH?
    It is the best thing about the amp imho.

Drive one on 4-5, drive 2 on 2-3, master on 4 and you are in high gain heaven.
    It is brutally loud like that though, which is why I sold my Prosonics (one combo, two heads).

The loop sucks on it though.
  • octatonic said:
    The drive (despite internet wisdom) sucks on the prosonic!!
    WUH?
    It is the best thing about the amp imho.

Drive one on 4-5, drive 2 on 2-3, master on 4 and you are in high gain heaven.
    It is brutally loud like that though, which is why I sold my Prosonics (one combo, two heads).

The loop sucks on it though.
    I guess it's all about what sort of drive you like!
  • vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2017
    octatonic said:
    Why not use the channel switching options on the amp?
    The drive channel does have a master volume and you can get the dirty sound to be at the same volume as the clean.
    Yes, I'd use the clean channel for cleans, the drive channel on a light setting for crunch, then a good quality overblown OD in the front for lead, on the drive channel only. It's easy to match those three settings for equal volume - though you want a bit more volume for the drive channel anyway so you can still play with dynamics, maybe finessing with the guitar's volume knob if necessary. Finally I'd put a clean boost in the loop to give a 10% boost, to be used on both your clean or dirty channels for high impact soloing. The loop is just a break in the lead that links the pre-amp stage to the power stage, so putting in an extra boost there doesn't tend to alter the sound, it just amplifies it. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • Ok so I need to revisit the drive channel don't I @viz. that's a solution I can work with
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    viz said:
    octatonic said:
    The drive channel does have a master volume and you can get the dirty sound to be at the same volume as the clean.
    Yes, I'd use the clean channel for cleans, the drive channel on a light setting for crunch, then a good quality overblown OD in the front for lead, on the drive channel only. It's easy to match those three settings for equal volume - though you want a bit more volume for the drive channel anyway so you can still play with dynamics, maybe finessing with the guitar's volume knob if necessary. Finally I'd put a clean boost in the loop to give a 10% boost, to be used on both your clean or dirty channels for high impact soloing. The loop is just a break in the lead that links the pre-amp stage to the power stage, so putting in an extra boost there doesn't tend to alter the sound, it just amplifies it. 
    Normally I would agree but the Prosonic loop really sucks.
    Try this for a test- get a nice tone without the loop and then use a patch cable to connect the send and return- massive change in tone.

I would try to avoid it if at all possible.
  • Arrrrrgggghhh
  • I could'nt use that in a proper live situation as our sound man has a pathological fear of mic'ing amps and always uses my fx loop send as a DI
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33782
    I could'nt use that in a proper live situation as our sound man has a pathological fear of mic'ing amps and always uses my fx loop send as a DI
    Without a guitar speaker to make it sound all guitary how does that now sound shit out front?
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626

There is a (rather tall!) pedal that has TWO OD switchable stages in it  so you can stomp between two different 'types' of GRRR but set the levels independently with the concentric gain and final volume controls. Treble/bass/mid and another thing that ICBM swears works arse'upards!

Dave.

• And that pedal is......
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72240
    Blackstar HT-Dual, since Dave doesn't like to blow his own trumpet :).

Not a bad pedal, although I have to say the height is offputting - and can make it try to flip over, if you hit the switches at too much of an angle. I'm not a fan of the special power supply either, although I understand why it may be necessary given the power requirement.

And yes the ISF control does work backwards on all Blackstars, at least given what they describe it as doing ;).

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    I could'nt use that in a proper live situation as our sound man has a pathological fear of mic'ing amps and always uses my fx loop send as a DI
    Ehhh what now?
    octatonic said:
    Without a guitar speaker to make it sound all guitary how does that now sound shit out front?
    He must be using some sort of speaker emulation. Some desks seem to have that now - I played a gig several years ago where that's how they did it. Even if not, a Red Box or similar will make it sound fine.

If that's the case then putting the Red Box between the amp and the speaker so you can still use the FX loop normally would work though - or use the 'through' of the DI box to return the signal to the amp, with the boost pedal before the DI.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• vizviz Frets: 10681
    edited August 2017
    octatonic said:
    viz said:
    octatonic said:
    Normally I would agree but the Prosonic loop really sucks.
    Try this for a test- get a nice tone without the loop and then use a patch cable to connect the send and return- massive change in tone.

I would try to avoid it if at all possible.
    Odd - how can that be? Not that I don't believe you, but it's very odd. It should literally be nothing more than a break in the circuit even if it's a parallel loop, should it not? (ICMB help) - normally linking send to return with a patch lead makes zero difference, unless you've got dirt on the sockets, which can be cleaned with contact cleaner and rapid inserting and pulling out of a jack lead for in each socket for a few seconds. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • @icbm I had an HT dual years ago  when they first came out!! Can't remember if I liked it or not now - I've hated ever blackstar product since though!!!!
    @icbm I had an HT dual years ago  when they first came out!! Can't remember if I liked it or not now - I've hated ever blackstar product since though!!!!
    With apologies to Dave who I know is very familiar with this :), me too… I just do not get on with the way they sound.

To solve your current problem (without spending money yet!) I would try what Viz suggested first though, combined with what you said about your soundman DI'ing the amp... guitar > Suhr Riot > amp, amp FX send > booster > DI > DI through > amp FX return. Use the amp's overdrive channel for your light overdrive sound.

• ecc83ecc83 Frets: 1626
    edited August 2017

Dual's got an emulated output too!  I have not read any independent reports of the LT Dual? Supposed to be a very close 'copy' of the HT but smaller. cheaper and with standard 9V juicing.  Not sure if it also has the emulation..? Will varder.

No, it doesn't.

• CabicularCabicular Frets: 2214
    ecc83 said:

Dual's got an emulated output too!  I have not read any independent reports of the LT Dual? Supposed to be a very close 'copy' of the HT but smaller. cheaper and with standard 9V juicing.  Not sure if it also has the emulation..? Will varder.

No, it doesn't.

I had an HT Dual. I thought it was decent. I could get good stuff out of it. The concentric knobs were a bit of a pain. Ultimately I lent it to our singer who had it nicked... 
    Nowadays I like the JHS sweet tea for dual pedal, the Wampler Pinnacle but my fav is the Kingsley Jouster.
    I can't see past a Thorpy gunshot with a TS mini in front of it though
    very very rich distortion