Help with Laney IRT-X connections for wet / dry setup?

What's Hot
Limehouse_BluesLimehouse_Blues Frets: 1160
edited August 2017 in Amps
I am trying to connect a Laney IRT-X extension cabinet to my Laney VC15 combo. My hope was to run delay and chorus through the IRT-X and then drive pedals into the front of the VC15.

The combo has an external speaker socket which (per the IRT-X instructions) I am connecting to the input of the IRT-X. See page 7 of the IRT-X instructions:

https://www.laney.co.uk/wp-content/uploads/2016/01/56e4907fec9d93b13145275f7cf1fff8.pdf

However, connecting the combo and IRT-X in this way, I only get sound out of the IRT-X. It is as if the internal 10 inch speaker of the VC15 has been disabled.

Any idea what I may be doing wrong? I seem to remember reading somewhere that the VC15 does disconnect its internal speaker when using the external speaker connection.

Does this mean that if I want to use the IRT-X as intended, I really need a different combo, one where connecting it to an external speaker does not disable the internal one?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JetfireJetfire Frets: 1696
    If im not mistaken the irt-x is an active speaker for modelling etc. 
  • monquixotemonquixote Frets: 17603
    tFB Trader
    I think you need to be going back out of the IRT-X and back into the speaker.
  • Jetfire said:
    If im not mistaken the irt-x is an active speaker for modelling etc. 
    Much more complex than that.  It's marketed as an extension cabinet for valve amps and a way of getting various wet and  dry combinations.

https://www.laney.co.uk/products/irt-x/

• I recall nearly getting one of those when I had my JCM800. 

I spoke to a tech guy at Laney who seemed to think it was possible to run out of the 800 speaker jack, into IRT-x, out of IRT-X back to 800 internal speaker, then run wet fx in the loop of the IRT......

it meant putting a break in the speaker cable for the 800 so I could patch in a loop to the irt. 
    IIRC. 
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.
  • DJH83004DJH83004 Frets: 196
    Unfortunately plugging in to the jack socket on the VC15 disconnects the internal speaker as you have found. Its not difficult to bypass this, you just need to solder a link across the tip connections of the jack socket, but it does depend on your confidence level at tackling it.    
  • Cheers guys. This is helpful. The instructions that come with the IRT-X are opaque to say the least. It seems that to use the device for wet dry setups you do have somehow to disconnect the internal speaker, send the signal from the amp to the IRT (presumably using a female-male instrument cable) and then back from the IRT into the combo's speaker jack.

In terms of connecting to combos it seems the IRT is designed to work best with amps like the 5watt lionheart where the internal speaker can be manually disconnected at the rear panel. However, the IRT instructions indicate it is not necessary to disconnect the internal speaker if the amplifier has more than one external amplifier connection.

I have a new combo on the way in any case, a Brunetti Singleman. I will see if it can pair with the IRT without modification. Not a big deal for me either way as I was more than anything just curious to try a wet-dry setup.

in the meantime the IRT-x serves as a useful monitor for home practice with the Boss GT-1.
  • JayGeeJayGee Frets: 1259
    Having had a quick look at the manual on Laney's web site the problem seems to be that there are so many potential use cases that it would be damned near impossible to document them all!

It really does look like an incredibly flexible and Pretty Damned Useful piece of kit though,  apart from anything else looks like something which could find a place in anyone's car or van as a potential all-round gig-saver which could cover pretty much anything from a failed guitar amp to a dead PA speaker or monitor!
    Don't ask me, I just play the damned thing...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom