Any advice for aching hands?

What's Hot
JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
edited September 2017 in Technique
I started getting aching fingers and hands a few months ago and as a very keen guitar nerd...its frustrating and cramping my style (pun intended)
Any advice please...ta Jon
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I can't post links but "stretches for aching hands guitar" pulls up loads on Youtube.

I regularly stretch my hands and forearms just when chilling watching telly and  have managed to avoid anything major- surprising as I get injured to bits with a lot of physical stuff. I put the lack of issues down to the stretching. I still use far too much pressure when playing so I'm working on that and I find slowing down helps me use far less pressure.

I should probably do stuff to warm up but don't. Could you be 'clamping' like I do? I often think I'm trying to get the guitar to submit.

A deep tissue or thai massage would probably help with the pain you're having. It might (probably should) hurt but a few sessions will get your forearms, hands and fingers more relaxed. I usually tell them my physical issues and what I want so they can concentrate on those areas and not just go through a routine.

• beed84beed84 Frets: 2409
    I've mentioned this before in similar threads and recommend it to any guitarist and/or musician:

https://powerballs.com/?campaign=ad-ukpb&gclid=COP9hrnw69UCFSsq0wod-Z8Meg
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    Did you post this in personnel cos you are looking for someone to give you a hand job?
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • TeetonetalTeetonetal Frets: 7802
    Are you getting cramps all the time, or only when doing specific things? Have you changed guitar or neck size / shape recently, are you playing things with more stretching or fast notes etc?
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9531
    Ive found that this occurs with certain guitars/fretboard sizes for me, as Ive gotten older.

My ring fingers on both hands ache, maybe a bit of arthritis? I dunno...

I had a Les Paul and a Nocaster both of which made my hands ache.
  • Maybe put them on your head, =)
  • hywelghywelg Frets: 4303
    This is the Personnel forum not the Personal !!!!
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FezFez Frets: 522
    If you can take glucosamine that might help I felt it did but it gave me headaches which is a known side effect.
    Don't touch that dial.
  • CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 291
    If you play a lot, this may be a cause of aching, a degree of which shouldn't be an issue. However, I would stop playing and see a doctor if you experience pain. It is possible that it could be arthritis, but a doctor would need to check whether this is the case. I agree with the earlier comments regarding stretching/warming up routines.
  • JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    edited September 2017
    Thanks.. .a doctor friend of mine recommended Glucosamine and Fish oil tablets...6 weeks before any possible improvement. General mild ache to both hands but mainly left (fretting) hand wedding ring finger. Snapped a tendon playing dodgeball 6 years ago so although 100% fixed, maybe arthritic pain from that. Yes..i too have sold an r8 Les Paul due to larger neck profile.
    Preferring medium 65c fender type necks.
    Still loving playing and aching is minor issue!!
    Ta jon
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33793
    Go and see a physio.
  • Yep..may do. Thanks 
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    Avoid playing Message in a Bottle
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
  • Moved to Technique section...closest I could come up with, given that I've just woken up.
    <space for hire>
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mike_lmike_l Frets: 5700
    octatonic said:
    Go and see a psycho.
    Why?

Ringleader of the Cambridge cartel, pedal champ and king of the dirt boxes (down to 21) 

• Change to lighter strings, try 8s for a while and see if that helps. 
  • Sounds a bit off key, but i got into strength and conditioning training a few years ago... lots of monkey bar work, pull ups etc. My hands are much stronger now and rarely ache.
  • cbakaycbakay Frets: 67
    edited October 2017
    Yes. Lighter strings. 

I had a long chat with a good hand surgeon expericed on guitarist hands, (I had the same issue) he explained in detail how everything’s connected in the hand and why this happens, and that it’s very common.

He said I should massage my palm with my thumb in circular motions. Pressure, but not too hard. The link has a photo of how I mean under “Stomach upset”....nevermind the BS broscience in the article, just photo reference. I helped me 99% of the way.

5/10 mins x2 a day 

• JonHoskerJonHosker Frets: 392
    Thanks for the plan massage top.
    I have started. Jon
  • Sports or Deep Tissue massage. Couple of sessions and you'll realise how tense your hands felt previously. Both these treatments should hurt a fair bit mind. Nothing excrutiating.