Spring Reverb and Tremolo build.

kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
edited August 2017 in Making & Modding
Just built myself a Spring Reverb and Tremolo unit from the lovely chaps at Surfy Industries. The kits are supplied as built circuit boards with pots and input/output jacks, so you just have to wire up the pots and jacks and put them into an enclosure.

I bought both the Reverb and Tremolo kit and the Spring Pan from Surfy, then bought a toolbox to mount it in plus knobs an extra switch, phono's, on off switch, 12v powersupply and kettle lead outlet. Altogether it came to under £200.

Here's the finished unit:

And here's a little demo:

0reaction image LOL 7reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    edited August 2017
    Wow, that looks great, love the use of the toolbox. Your video is just showing up as a pic, you need to copy and paste the link provided when you click the share button below the vid on youtube.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • kizzerkizzer Frets: 65
    Cheers Octafish, vid should be fixed now.
  • OctafishOctafish Frets: 1937
    Nice demo, trems sounds great. The brownface and blackface trems sound quite a bit different to each other. How did you add the graphics to box?
    Octafish said:
    Nice demo, trems sounds great. The brownface and blackface trems sound quite a bit different to each other. How did you add the graphics to box?
    Yeah, the difference between the 2 trem's is very distinct. The Brownface has that swampy Univibe sort of sound, whereas the Blackface has that traditional volume cutting effect, its nice having the 2 options! The kit for that is only £35 + postage, which is a steal in my opinion.

The graphics were pretty simple really, just printed onto A4 white sticker paper, waited a minute for it to dry fully, then stuck a layer of clear sticker paper over the top to protect it. I printed it with crosses for where the holes needed to go, so I could stick it on and then drill the holes out with a stepped bit. It was easier for me to do this than try to stick it down after the holes had been drilled.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    edited August 2017
    Not watched the video yet but that looks great. The Surfy kits get a lot of love on the surf guitar forum ( not a lot happens on there so I'm not a frequent visitor) and many regard them as the best faux spring reverb you can get. I think Surfy are going to do full pedal builds at some point. 

Edit: yes they are, reverb coming out soon. No price yet. They already do a brownface-blackface trem pedal. 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1769
    Absolutely love the tool box and the graphics, amazing!
    Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
    My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
  • EricTheWearyEricTheWeary Frets: 16293
    Watched the video now, very smartly done and it sounds excellent :smile: 
    Tipton is a small fishing village in the borough of Sandwell. 
  • Very nice.  Good idea to use the tool box - works really well and looks right.
    And that demo video puts most of the professional ones to shame - excellent work.
    Cheers BigMonka EricTheWeary DartmoorHedgehog!

Thanks for all the kind words. I can't take credit for the idea of the Toolbox, that I got from the Surfguitar forum, and what a great idea it is. Toolbox's come in a variety of sizes, so can accommodate many different pan sizes and the lid offers ample room for all the wiring and also acts as a heatsink for the PCB's.

And yes, as well as the self build Reverb and Tremolo they do sell ready made versions, but if you don't mind using a soldering iron its a fun project to build!
  • RavenousRavenous Frets: 1484

+wis good stuff.

Years ago I built a rack mounted spring reverb from a gutted old amp. Worked fine but I eventually chucked it when I moved (it was bulky).  I think I need to build another one...

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    I actually dreamt about this last night - really tempted to build one. What power supply did you use?
    Gagaryn said:
    What power supply did you use?
    A Mean Well rs-15-12.

• GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    kizzer said:
    Gagaryn said:
    What power supply did you use?
    A Mean Well rs-15-12.

cheers!