Setting intonation

What's Hot
Can you successfully use a clip on tuner on the headstock to set the intonation on an electric guitar? 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• HoofHoof Frets: 491
    You can but the level of success is dependent on he accuracy of the tuner. If you have a good ear you could probably get it more accurate than most tuners can anyway. 

There's some really good apps for a few quid too. Try Peterson's or Cleartune.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72264
    deafasa said:
    Can you successfully use a clip on tuner on the headstock to set the intonation on an electric guitar?
    Yes.

As Hoof says using your ears is arguably more accurate though - not by comparing the 12th-fret harmonic to the fretted note, but by tuning each pair of strings to a perfect fourth (which is not what you would do for normal playing) and then using each as the reference for the other - using the harmonic at the 12th fret on the higher string vs the fretted 17th on the lower, and the 19th fret harmonic on the lower string vs the fretted 14th on the higher. This method is very fast and accurate.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• deafasadeafasa Frets: 7
    Thanks guys.............my hearings shot! I can't hear the top e open string so setting it by ear is no go for me. I should have mentioned it in my original post......that's why I call myself Deafasa..........
    2reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom