Howdy, Stranger!

It looks like you're new here. If you want to get involved, click one of these buttons!

Sign In with Google

Become a Subscriber!

Subscribe to our Patreon, and get image uploads with no ads on the site!

Read more...

A bit out of hand?

What's Hot

Comments

• JookyChapJookyChap Frets: 4234

Skipped said:
    I would like to hear from somebody who has 1 guitar and 10 awesome amps.
    You might, but they probably couldn't hear you

3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • DrJazzTapDrJazzTap Frets: 2158
    The force is strong in this one.

Makes my four look paltry, maybe room for another......hmm
    I would love to change my username, but I fully understand the T&C's (it was an old band nickname). So please feel free to call me Dave.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • NiallmoNiallmo Frets: 467
    Always room for one more...Westfield LP Junior double cut on the way...
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    Niallmo, that looks a very sensible storage method. I've been trying to think how I could steal your idea and apply it to some of mine.

@BrianC please forgive the trainspotter question, but is that a Starfield hardcase right at the back of yours...?
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• i struggled at 6 (2x Tokai Les Pauls from 1979, a similar age Tokai Tele, a blackguard partscaster under construction, a Tokai Strat from 1980 and an acoustic).

I'm selling some and aiming for
    1 Les Paul
    2 Teles
    1 acoustic
    1979 Tokai TE-85
    1980 Tokai LS-80
  • I tend to flit back and forth between acquiring and selling. Ideally it will all converge on a small number of good'uns. Honestly though, I have some guitars I've not played in ages. I have a classical acoustic in my flat that has been out of the gigbag about twice in 2 years - almost entirely through laziness on my part.
  • strtdvstrtdv Frets: 2356
    I work on the principle that if I'm going to get something new it has to either be considerably nicer than what I have or do something substantially different.

I've 3 electrics (hot rod '52 tele, american standard tele and MIM strat, a nice acoustic (a Furch), a bouzouki, a banjo, an electric mandolin and a ukulele.
    Currently 2 amps and one pedalboard, although I do toy with the idea of getting a compact/easily portable setup consisting of a DRRI and a TC Nova System.

GAS is generally controlled by the fact that I've never played a Gibson I could get on with long term, and the fact that I've only played one Fender that was nicer than my Hot Rod '52, and it wasn't nice enough to justify the £3200 price tag.
    Robot Lords of Tokyo, SMILE TASTE KITTENS!
  • Wow, that's quite an array of Guitar's @Niallmo

I couldn't help noticing those funky straps as well, they look a bit like Souldiers, are they?

Only a Fool Would Say That.
    The sunburst strat has a Levy's Hootenany strap, the red Sugarties style strap on the floor on the Blue Strat and is Planet Waves but the pale strap on the Tele is actually a Souldier. I love the 60's style straps and I'm trying to get a nice individual one for each guitar. Otherwise I have the Generic Ernie Ball black strap or Fender.

I try to buy different sounding guitars but appear to have ended up with a lot of HSS/SSS strat types of which there are 6! I also seem to be getting two each of the tele, Les Paul and "shape" guitars. Fortunately the next one is almost completely different.
    To be fair I don't think there is much chance of me spending more than about £300-£400 on one guitar and I'd be saving up for a while. I root around for bargains. 7 of those guitars cost less than £100 each and 4 cost less than £50 each. Nothing there over £300.
  • @Niallmo

You certainly got some of em for good prices. I like the strap on the Cherryburst Gibbo too, is that another Levy's? I noticed some of them are leather (or PVC) Backed rather than just plain fabric, helps with grip etc.

Your upcoming Westfiled LP Jr should add to the vareity, enjoy.

:)
    Only a Fool Would Say That.
    Ah, that is a rather cool (but getting tatty) Gibson strap. Perhaps from the seventies or early eighties. I think it may end up on the Junior.
  • This has me thinking. I've got a lot. Probably a few too many.

I use a few purely for demoing pickups (nice excuse eh?) but that aside I probably don't need quite so many (DO NOT TELL THE WIFE). I potentially like the idea of limiting the number but each one inspires in different ways, there's a reason why I bought it and I get sentimental over such things. I'm not sure I can be brave enough to pick just a couple!
  • I also have an amp habit. I don't actually know how many I've got, pretty sure they multiply in the dark. You can't have just one amp. Not possible.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10647
    edited February 2014
    Precisely Mr. Hayden - actually we've had this discussion before, and I presented the optimum ratio of guitars to amps as being 1.62 : 1, or the golden ratio, as espoused by Fibonacci. The correct buying sequence is:

Guitar 1. Ratio 1:0
    Amp 1. RATIO 1:1
    Guitar 2. RATIO 2:1
    Amp 2: Ratio 1:1
    Guitar 3: RATIO 3:2
    Guitar 4: Ratio 2:1
    Amp 3: Ratio 4:3
    Guitar 5: RATIO 5:3
    Guitar 6: Ratio 2:1
    Amp 4: Ratio 3:2
    Guitar 7: Ratio 7:4
    Guitar 8: Ratio 2:1
    Amp 5: RATIO 8:5
    Guitar 9: Ratio 9:5
    Guitar 10: Ratio 2:1
    Amp 6: Ratio 5:3
    Guitar 11: Ratio 11:6
    Amp 7: Ratio 11:7
    Guitar 12: Ratio 12:7
    Guitar 13: Ratio 13:7
    Amp 8: RATIO 13:8

The fibonacci sequence is 1,1,2,3,5,8,13; I have indicated these milestones by capitalising the word RATIO. At these points your life should feel pretty good.
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    Niallmo said:
    There also one in a cupboard and enough parts for another two Strats... Almost a Gibson lurking in there... http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v375/Niallmo/009_zps07acfbd8.jpg
    seen you on Youtube...!
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>
    @BrianC please forgive the trainspotter question, but is that a Starfield hardcase right at the back of yours...?
    No that is a PRS CU22 case with one inside
  • dchwhitedchwhite Frets: 182
    BrianC said:
    dchwhite said:
    No that is a PRS CU22 case with one inside
    LOL, shows how much I know then! Thanks :)
    Stonevibe: 'The best things in life aren't things'.

Trading feedback: Previous (+18) and Current

• OilCityPickupsOilCityPickups Frets: 9984
    tFB Trader
    Like Tony I'm on 14 at the moment ... a few come and go now and then ...
    Professional pickup winder, horse-testpilot and recovering Chocolate Hobnob addict.
    Formerly TheGuitarWeasel ... Oil City Pickups  ... Oil City Blog 7 String.org profile and message