Haven't built an amp for a while ... JCM800-ish content

What's Hot
4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
in Amps tFB Trader
Had a rare couple of days to myself so decided to knock up an amp. I built this cab a while back so I thought it was about time I filled it with some of the parts I bought from @martinw . Martin included some of these gold faceplates in with all the other parts, so I decided to use one and build the amp around the controls available. No idea what they were originally intended for?

It's my take on a JCM800. Designed for straight forward rock it's a simple single input that's based on the high-gain input of an 800. I've made a couple of tweaks to the preamp to tame down the harsh treble, resulting in a much smoother and fuller drive but still able to cut through if you need it to. Probably closer in tone to a Friedman Dirty Shirley now, at a guess.

I've also kept the EL34 power section but decided to cathode bias, again I think this makes the drive a little less harsh and more pleasant, albeit at the expense of a few watts. 30ish seems plenty loud enough anyway, plus you can just pop whichever EL34 pair you like in there and not worry about bias. 

Master volume is now  PPIMV so you can turn down but still get phase-inverter distortion in there. Works well for playing at bedroom levels (obviously comes into it's own when cranked though!).

Lot of fun to play - just plug in and turn up, control the gain with your guitar and you're off. Old school rock goodness. 

0reaction image LOL 15reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• No gut shot? How rude!
    The Swamp City Shakers
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • 4114Effects4114Effects Frets: 3131
    tFB Trader
    No gut shot? How rude!
    Fair comment. Will see if I can be bothered disassembling it tomorrow ... :-)
  • No gut shot? How rude!
    Fair comment. Will see if I can be bothered disassembling it tomorrow ... :-)
    I'm sure it will look just as tidy on the inside as it does on the outside!
    The Swamp City Shakers
  • MartinBMartinB Frets: 187
    Looks like a useful amp, and the cab is well done (I haven't quite got the knack of tolexing inside corners perfectly yet myself).  Is the missing presence control just replaced with a fixed resistor?  They can be limited in usefulness with a PPIMV, so I guess the presence knob might not be missed. 
    tFB Trader
    MartinB said:
    Looks like a useful amp, and the cab is well done (I haven't quite got the knack of tolexing inside corners perfectly yet myself).  Is the missing presence control just replaced with a fixed resistor?  They can be limited in usefulness with a PPIMV, so I guess the presence knob might not be missed. 
    Yeah, presence is set at 1 out of 10. I very rarely use the control so it's no big loss for me. :-)
  • TTBZTTBZ Frets: 2892
    That looks great! Love that colour.
  • How much?
  • ricorico Frets: 1220
    This is the amp. 
  • Would u sell it?
    tFB Trader
    Would u sell it?
    I might yeah. Send me a PM :-)
  • RaymondLinRaymondLin Frets: 11860
    I swear your builds looks better with each new amp.
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    I like the narrow vent grilles above the chassis - I've never seen that done before. Very neat-looking and will definitely help with cooling. Intentional, or a happy accident caused by the chassis being too small for the cutout? :) (No bad thing even if it did start out that way! Some of the best ideas do…)

Out of curiosity, is it common cathode bias or separate?

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    ICBM said:
    I like the narrow vent grilles above the chassis - I've never seen that done before. Very neat-looking and will definitely help with cooling. Intentional, or a happy accident caused by the chassis being too small for the cutout? :) (No bad thing even if it did start out that way! Some of the best ideas do…)

Happy accident! Compensated for the router collet the wrong way and ended up with the cut out too large ... seemed to make sense to add the grille and as you say it'll help with airflow. Might make it standard on my amps from now on I think. 

Shared cathode at the moment, may switch to split though as that will be more within the safety margins of the cathode resistors.

tFB Trader
    I swear your builds looks better with each new amp.
    That's the idea. Very happy with this one. :-)
  • Modulus_AmpsModulus_Amps Frets: 2573
    tFB Trader
    ICBM said:

Happy accident! Compensated for the router collet the wrong way and ended up with the cut out too large ... seemed to make sense to add the grille and as you say it'll help with airflow. Might make it standard on my amps from now on I think. 

Shared cathode at the moment, may switch to split though as that will be more within the safety margins of the cathode resistors.

I built two cathode biased EL34 amps, one was shared cathode the other split, I much preferred the split cathode one.
    I then converted one to fixed bias, much closer to Marshall tone/feel, but it did not have the compression and bloom that the cathode bias did.

Nice amp and a nice circuit to try ideas out on.
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    An absolute work of art!

the little grill could easily be a signature feature! 
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
    What the Astoria range should've looked like.
    Look out Marshall, Danplifier's coming to get you.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5132

Sort of like the engineering equivalent of that joke about how when you play the wrong note you should play it again on purpose and call it jazz. ;)

Looks amazing, and probably sounds just as good.

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

• ICBMICBM Frets: 72242
    Even if accidental it looks so right, and it's really a great improvement over the usual cooling methods - a lot of people forget that in order for convection cooling to work really well, you need a cold air inlet at the bottom, as well as a hot air outlet at the top, to create an airflow. That will allow the cold air in at exactly the right place where it can flow over the top of the chassis and then up and out of the back grille.

It's also *far* better than the usual method of a grille in the back and one in the top - AKA the 'beer trap'. Those are always a bad idea...

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

tFB Trader
    Right, better get it registered with the patent office then :-)