Edge Tone . . . Without breaking the bank or selling a kidney :-)

What's Hot
maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 554
Advice needed . . . I want to add a couple of U2 songs to my playlist, in particular " Until the end of the World " . . .  It's a great song . . . I have a reasonable Stratocaster and a 68 Vox AC30 but no pedals at the moment  . . . I used to have a Pod XT and was thinking about buying another ???? Not sure really ???? All advice appreciated. . .
Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• EHX memory man for sure! Maybe a boss blues driver  for a bit of grit...
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • vizviz Frets: 10680
    edited August 2017
    I'd get 2 boss dd's of any variety, 2nd hand, stick them in the loop and set one on medium speed, the other slightly slower; then use one or the other depending on the song, or both for that ping-pong higgledy-piggledy rebounding effect. They go for 55-80 each. And get a cheap reliable OD for in front of the amp (such as the blues driver or SD1 - £40), plus maybe a chorus for the loop, after the delays - £50
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • RandallFlaggRandallFlagg Frets: 13932
    I thought Until The End Of The World was a Les Paul through a Boss OD-2

• stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    For Until the End of the World, you want humbuckers, a half decent drive pedal and a good delay - it's quite simple as U2 fx go. He'd moved over to digital rack stuff by then but anything that can do a standard dotted-8th delay will get you there (and you can set any delay pedal to the right time as long as you can hear the delay time and set it by ear).

This version has the guitar part much clearer than the studio version. Absolutely stunning if you get it right.

The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    Check this out ... might help.

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    For that song, basically any delay you can reasonably accurately get to do a dotted 8th will do.

When I play it, I get the ac30 loud enough that it's got a *little* grit on the verse arpeggios, then an overdrive pushes it a bit harder for the main riff. Then something higher gain for the solo and outro sections.

The trick with the overdrive is to make sure it's not too mushy so you can hear the switch between the major 3rd and 4th note in the E chord.
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Great song, sounds as though there's some dirt after the delay..... when all the dirts before the delay it sounds too clean 

The real tricky bit is playing the main bit as cleanly and Accurately as The Edge does 
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
  • Danny1969Danny1969 Frets: 10393
    Fretwired said:

Is he purposely playing all the parts wrong for copyright reasons ?
    www.2020studios.co.uk 
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26870
    Danny1969 said:
    Great song, sounds as though there's some dirt after the delay..... when all the dirts before the delay it sounds too clean 

The real tricky bit is playing the main bit as cleanly and Accurately as The Edge does 
    Yep. Chain-wise it'll be an OD (probably an OD1) through the delay all into the front end of an AC30 set slightly hairy, which will give some real balls to the delay sound. It's not that fx/loop studio delay thing and all the better for it.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • CirrusCirrus Frets: 8491
    Danny1969 said:
    The amp's probably being pushed by an SDD-3000 into some overdrive (even if the delay isn't coming from there)
  • FretwiredFretwired Frets: 24601
    edited August 2017
    Danny1969 said:
    Fretwired said:

Is he purposely playing all the parts wrong for copyright reasons ?
    Yes, I think he is ... ;-)

Remember, it's easier to criticise than create!
  • maw4neumaw4neu Frets: 554
    Quality . . . Massively appreciated :-)
    Id just like to point out that, despite all the video and DNA evidence, it genuinely wasn't me, your Honour  ! 

• MikkiMcMurdererMikkiMcMurderer Frets: 352
    edited August 2017
    Don't forget a blue Herdim pick, nobbly side to the strings!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • Don't forget a blue Herdim pick, nobbly side to the strings!
    This. It's a HUGE part of the Edge's sound!
  • clarkefanclarkefan Frets: 808
    Don't forget a blue Herdim pick, nobbly side to the strings!
    This. It's a HUGE part of the Edge's sound!
    Very true, essential.  You hear the difference immediately, before you even plug in.