Part two - Building humbuckers that do everything.

What's Hot
AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
edited August 2017 in Making & Modding tFB Trader
In case you missed part 1 - https://www.alegree.co.uk/blogs/news/building-a-chameleon-a-pickup-build-saga-part-1-the-concept

The build continues on what promises to be the most versatile humbucker set the world has ever seen. Now on the third set of prototypes, I'm very pleased with how progress is going and the viability of this project. I'm hoping these will be a game changer in the pickup world. Check the below blog post for a run through of the production process and the impressions of the first prototype!

Read the latest blog post on my website here - https://www.alegree.co.uk/blogs/news/building-a-chameleon-a-pickup-design-saga-part-2-the-build-initial-impressions-and-remedies
Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
1reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Andyjr1515Andyjr1515 Frets: 3127
    Interesting stuff, Alexander.  Got me looking through your web site too - bookmarked :)
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Interesting stuff, Alexander.  Got me looking through your web site too - bookmarked :)
    Thanks Andy :)
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665

Its a nice challenge you are setting yourself.  Definitely worthwhile so don't take the next comment the wrong way

I wonder if it will be similar to guitars that try and do everything - they make me long for a jnr.

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    WezV said:

Its a nice challenge you are setting yourself.  Definitely worthwhile so don't take the next comment the wrong way

I wonder if it will be similar to guitars that try and do everything - they make me long for a jnr.

Set it to P90 mode and you've got a junior. Everyone will have their favourite mode in there, but having additional options for studio work, jamming, experimenting, etc is always a nice thing in my opinion. Once it's in a mode, you can strip it back to a set of PAFs on the 3 way toggle switch for instance and not touch it again for the entire gig if that's what you want. 

My target audience is definitely with those who are willing to see beyond vintage and embrace 21st century innovation. I'm aware a lot of my work will be seen as blasphemy by a lot of vintage purists. Having a guitar without possible options and interesting stuff seems as mundane to me as a lot of my work seems ridiculous to them. I'm sure my work is very polarising - but pickup winding isn't my main income from my business, so I can afford to be niche.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • WezVWezV Frets: 16665
    edited August 2017
    I am far from a vintage purist,  although my current builds are pushing that way I suppose.  

Like i said before, I think it's worthwhile... but options can introduce compromises, and they can even be limiting.  That's the challenge here isn't it?

tFB Trader
    WezV said:
    I am far from a vintage purist,  although my current builds are pushing that way I suppose.  

Like i said before, I think it's worthwhile... but options can introduce compromises, and they can even be limiting.  That's the challenge here isn't it?

Well exactly. If there are compromises then the challenge isn't yet complete. I'm very happy with most of the tones I've been getting so far that I'd put them right up there with their equivalents.

I've not yet found any issues with the latest prototypes, but I haven't really had enough time with them yet to get a definite opinion yet.
  • BoopDeWoopBoopDeWoop Frets: 101
    Shouldn't this be in the Made in the UK section? 
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    Probably not. This is a research project. @TheGuitarWeasel has done build threads in Made in the UK, but they were of product builds or customer rebuilds
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    tFB Trader
    Nothing has been made yet though.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Yet this thread is still spam/advertising for your business and website?  
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    Spam? There's content which is of interest to a number of people, as evidenced by the prior posts. If me bringing interesting content to the forum is mutually beneficial to both parties, I see no issue.

Now if you would kindly remove that chip from your shoulder, I'd appreciate it.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • underdogunderdog Frets: 8334

Disagree there, the guy regularly contributes to threads on the forum and puts up threads that others will find interesting, much like this one.
    No chips on my shoulder; I have no reason to attack you and I'm not disputing your contributions. That said you are a shop and in the normal guitar subforum you are the only one promoting your wares. 
    edited August 2017 tFB Trader
    No chips on my shoulder; I have no reason to attack you and I'm not disputing your contributions. That said you are a shop and in the normal guitar subforum you are the only one promoting your wares. 
    This is a speculative open discussion about the possible introduction of a very unique product. Made in the UK is exactly that, MADE. This is yet to be made and is still very much open to suggestions and feedback. Putting something that's yet to be created in Made in the UK would be logically flawed. It, however, is linked to guitars and their users' interests, and therefore is an appropriate fit.

When it is created and is simply a showcase of the product you'll have a point, until then, I disagree.

• mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    Looks like a wiring nightmare - it'll be very interesting to hear all the modes and what effect they have on different guitars.
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

tFB Trader
    Looks like a wiring nightmare - it'll be very interesting to hear all the modes and what effect they have on different guitars.
    It is! I'll be sure to provide very elaborate wiring instructions with them to guide users. Sadly more versatility also leads to more complexity in wiring. When broken down clearly it's pretty simple to do step by step though. I'd anticipate anyone with any level of soldering ability should be able to install it with sufficient instructions.
  • mudslide73mudslide73 Frets: 3068
    I mean it looks like a wiring nightmare to build them all. Versatility is definitely the word I'd use! :)
    "A city star won’t shine too far"

• robinbowesrobinbowes Frets: 3039
    @BoopDeWoop Rule 1 applies.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 3reaction image Wisdom
    tFB Trader
    I mean it looks like a wiring nightmare to build them all. Versatility is definitely the word I'd use! :)
    Oh right, yes. It makes making normal humbuckers seem like child's play after doing a few prototypes.
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    If you can pull this off then it opens a new chapter in pickup building.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom