Jet City

longshinslongshins Frets: 246
tempted to try out a Jet City head again. I had the 50 watt head before that was cool but had too much treble (later I found out about the cap mod) and weird fx loop. Quite like the look of the custom 5 but a slightly higher wattage one might be more practical overall. Any thoughts?
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26458
    You might want to consider the JCA22H. It already has the bright cap removed on the crunch channel, and I've found that the drive channel works well with the bright cap present if you're only using it for solos (which is how I use it). Also, the loop is in a more sensible place (after the volumes, as opposed to before the tone stack on the JCA50H).
    <space for hire>
  • longshinslongshins Frets: 246
    Thanks, have you tried the 20HV?
    longshins said:
    Thanks, have you tried the 20HV?
    No; I presumed that if you liked the JCA50H, you'd be after something similar.

There's also the Amelia, which is a totally different beast altogether (and has independent EQ for each channel).
    <space for hire>
  • paulnb57paulnb57 Frets: 3044
    I have the JC20HV, its a keeper, a single channel head of glorious simplicity! Not at all trebly, I use it through an old Marshall 1x12 .......
    Stranger from another planet welcome to our hole - Just strap on your guitar and we'll play some rock 'n' roll

• english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128

There's also the Amelia, which is a totally different beast altogether (and has independent EQ for each channel).

Has it been established whether the Amelia has Jet City's trademark useless effects loop?

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Has it been established whether the Amelia has Jet City's trademark useless effects loop?
    Yes - it doesn't. It has a pedal-level loop in the right place :)
    <space for hire>
  • GulliverGulliver Frets: 848

Is the Amelia available over here yet?
  • english_bobenglish_bob Frets: 5128
    Gulliver said:

Not on the JCA UK site last week when I looked....

Don't talk politics and don't throw stones. Your royal highnesses.

Gulliver said:

Not on the JCA UK site last week when I looked....
    Only from Thomann, I think.
    <space for hire>
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    JCA20HV user here and it's a great little amp for the money. No ice pick treble issues either. What's the deal with the loops on them then? I use the loop on mine and have never noticed anything untoward.
    @simonk - there's no problem on the JCA20HV. The issue is on the JCA50H and JCA100H - the loop is between the gain stages and the tone stack, which means it's...well, not useless, but not particularly great either. It's also line-level, not instrument-level, so a lot of pedals can have trouble with it.

The JCA22H also has a line-level loop, but it's after the master volumes, so it's much more useful.

All other Jet City amps have an instrument-level loop after the master volumes.
    <space for hire>
  • I solved my JCA22H FX loop problem by using a Bright Onion Volume control pedal.

I now use it before the modulation pedals in the loop as an attenuator (I also have a Jettenuator) and it works really well. 

I use it as a master volume and basically gun the Master volumes on the amp and adjust the pedal to taste.

Just need to remind myself NEVER to switch it off in the bedroom, neighbours and my ears may have something to say.

Didn't expect it to but it does sound good.

Cheers 
  • simonksimonk Frets: 1467
    @digitalscream  Gotcha. Thanks for the explanation.
  • 57Deluxe57Deluxe Frets: 7329
    I solved my JCA22H FX loop problem by using a Bright Onion Volume control pedal.

...got me thinking what you could do with a Pickled Onion... remember that low tech physics class experiment with a lemon??
    <Vintage BOSS Upgrades>

...got me thinking what you could do with a Pickled Onion... remember that low tech physics class experiment with a lemon??
    Nah, Bright Onion has more clarity.  Always found the Pickled Onion made the tone more acidic and more crunchy ;)