Volume pedal advice please

BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
I'm thinking about adding a volume pedal.  All my stomps go in to the front of the amp (no fx loop) and there is only 5 of them.  Guitar - tuner - EP booster - Prince of tone - Giga delay - Flint, is the order.  I have single coil and humbucker guitars.  So my question is, which would be the appropriate volume pedal?  I've seen high and low impedence but have no idea what this means.
No Darling....I've had that ages.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• JDEJDE Frets: 1092
    Depends where in your chain you want it - low impedance pedals need to be used with a buffered signal of some sort, so in the middle or end of your chain, or if you have active pickups. High impedance can pretty much be used anywhere, although they do not work correctly with active pickups. If you have regular, passive pickups, I'd go for a Boss FV500H - built like a tank and minimum volume knob. Big, but a great pedal.
  • vizviz Frets: 10691
    edited August 2017
    I used to have a Little Alligator in the loop, but I found a boost was actually better, simpler, and smaller, so unless you need the sweeps, maybe consider something like a mini Keeley Katana Boost. I love mine. 
    Roland said: Scales are primarily a tool for categorising knowledge, not a rule for what can or cannot be played.
    Supportact said: [my style is] probably more an accumulation of limitations and bad habits than a 'style'.
  • stickyfiddlestickyfiddle Frets: 26964
    I'm a big fan of the Ernie Ball ones.
    The Assumptions - UAE party band for all your rock & soul desires
  • BluesyDaveBluesyDave Frets: 411
    I'm looking to use it for swells rather than boosting anything.  Great in combination with echo and verb......at least that's what I'm hoping.
    No Darling....I've had that ages.
  • guitarfishbayguitarfishbay Frets: 7960
    edited August 2017
    My personal favourite is the Dunlop DVP-1.  It's huge and makes a crybaby look small, and they do make a smaller version of it now if that's what you'd prefer, but it's just so easy to control with your foot.  If you can try one out give it a go.  I think the feel is pretty ideal for the intended purpose.
  • JayBJayB Frets: 4
    edited August 2017
    Some great advice here already.

I have the Thru-Tone PM-1 (when the dollar rate was a little more favourable). It's the Ernie Ball 6166 volume but Justin rips out the circuit and replaces everything with his own switchable buffer and circuitry so you can place it where you wish in the chain.

Like you I only use pedals in to the front of the amp. Another great alternative may be the Ernie Ball MVP (it's the junior size) but again has quite a transparent buffer. 

Hope it's of some help.
  • Ro_SRo_S Frets: 929
    for swells,  place a volume pedal after gain but before delay/reverb.
    over 20 effects pedals FOR SALE, click here to see my classifieds thread.   My trading feedback

Effects for Me & my Monkey    
    YouTube channel     Facebook         Fretboard's "resident pedal supremo" - mgaw