Grainger Guitars - Introduction

What's Hot
GraingerguitarsGraingerguitars Frets: 39
edited August 2017 in Made in the UK
Hi Guys

Just thought I'd do a quick intro post, Grainger Guitars consists of Myself (Darren) and my brother (Gavin).  We make guitars, Basses and hardware here in Rutland, UK.  We're engineers by trade so manufacturing things has been the day job for 20 years and about 3-4 years ago began putting the odd kit guitar and messing around modding our own guitars and some re-finishing, then approx 18 months ago we decided to have a go at making a full guitar..............turned out well and thing have gone from there.  We have a small range of four of our own guitar designs and one bass design and have made a handful of custom builds to customer requirements.  As engineers we have an extensive range of modern manufacturing gear at our disposal (as I own an engineering company) and started to make our own hardware 12 months ago which is available online (www.graingerguitarparts.com), we fit our own hardware to our builds with exception of the tuners as we haven't developed our own yet

I'll post some build pics when I figure out how to :-/

Cheers

Darren

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• GraingerguitarsGraingerguitars Frets: 39
    edited August 2017
    Build Pic from earlier in the year
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    edited August 2017
    Welcome Darren.

Thanks for taking the time to join and introduce yourself / yourselves.

Just had a quick look at the website and it's great to see some properly designed-here, engineered-here hardware rather than the usual "made in China" or "not available from the US" options that we have to choose from.  

There's a great opportunity to engineer some interestingly different variations on the standard parts - even if its just simple stuff like jack socket plates, cavity covers, etc.

So, welcome!

[edit]
    the font on the website's "our story" page is a real pita to read though!!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • Cheers TTony, our hardware range is simple at the moment whilst we try to find the time to get stuff made whilst the engineering day job is so busy, we've done specials for people including making complete floyd rose type trems so there's plenty of scope.  We have a number of other bits and bobs on the drawing board awaiting prototyping such as a TOM bridge and tele bridge.  If I could figure out how to post a picture I could show you how things look on our guitars :-/
    0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • AlegreeAlegree Frets: 665
    tFB Trader
    Looks good. Bookmarked for future reference.

I noticed your return policy doesn't actually comply with EU regulations though, so you'll want to extend that to do so.
    Alegree pickups & guitar supplies - www.alegree.co.uk
  • cheers, I'll look into that...
  • digitalscreamdigitalscream Frets: 26561
    Hi Darren - looks like you're just up the road from me (I'm in Stamford). Good to see someone local...might have to talk to you about a bridge in the next couple of months...

About posting pics, have a read here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76667/tip-re-posting-photos-using-an-ipad-possibly-iphones-too-dropbox

You can post anything you like in the Test thread (to avoid endless "can you see this?" posts in your first thread here):

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17284/test-posts
    <space for hire>
    edited August 2017
    edited August 2017
    [edit] image posting now made easier, so this comment no longer relevant!
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • Hi Darren - looks like you're just up the road from me (I'm in Stamford). Good to see someone local...might have to talk to you about a bridge in the next couple of months...

About posting pics, have a read here:

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/54241/posting-pics-vids-soundclips-how-to

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/76667/tip-re-posting-photos-using-an-ipad-possibly-iphones-too-dropbox

You can post anything you like in the Test thread (to avoid endless "can you see this?" posts in your first thread here):

http://www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/17284/test-posts
    Small World............I live in Stamford :-)
    Well...whodathunkit? Didn't think there was anything interesting round here, just retirees :D
    <space for hire>
  • the workshop is just up the road in market overton
  • Any link to grainger amps? 
  • Any link to grainger amps? 
    nope.....guitars and hardware only at the moment
  • earwighoneyearwighoney Frets: 3493

Very nice.  

Look forward to seeing a T Bridge in the future. 

• Very nice.  

Look forward to seeing a T Bridge in the future. 
    These are proving popular, been shipping them all over the world
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28034
    edited August 2017
    Some very nicely made stuff there - the ferrule blocks are neat and sensibly priced.

I'd agree on the website comments - generally good but the use of all-caps text is darned tricky to read.

The knobs are nice too - always good to have more options that aren't basic Tele style or ridiculously overpriced.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • Sporky said:
    Some very nicely made stuff there - the ferrule blocks are neat and sensibly priced.

I'd agree on the website comments - generally good but the use of all-caps text is darned tricky to read.

The knobs are nice too - always good to have more options that aren't basic Tele style or ridiculously overpriced.
    thanks, the cap-txt thing is down to godaddy's template, it was all written normally before upload :-/
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8693
    I've always preferred string retainer blocks to individual ferrules. Easier to make, easier to fit, and mechanically more secure, especially in thin bodies.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    Sporky said:

thanks, the cap-txt thing is down to godaddy's template, it was all written normally before upload :-/
    It's because you're using Heading 4 for that text. You can either make it just the normal paragraph style instead, or change this in your style.css:

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,.h1,.h2,.h3,.h4,.h5,.h6 { font-family: 'Open Sans Condensed', sans-serif; font-weight: 300; text-transform: uppercase; }

to

h1,h2,h3,h4,h5,h6,.h1,.h2,.h3,.h4,.h5,.h6 { font-family: 'Open Sans Condensed', sans-serif; font-weight: 300; text-transform: none; }
    <space for hire>