Helix in front of Amp - Clean Sound Problem, do I need an AX8? - SOLVED! :)

What's Hot
peteripeteri Frets: 1283
edited August 2017 in FX

Righto

Really loving the Helix, a lot - but have one gripe I can't get over

Taking a very simple preset - just reverb and going guitar-Helix-amp.

If I compare that to guitar-g2-amp, there's definitely something missing. The G2 signal has more fullness, more pick on the strings to it, just sounds more like the guitar.

Not that the Helix sounds bad, but it's taking something (conversion maybe?)

I really enjoy the Helix, and think the drive sounds in particular are killer - but the comparison is stopping me going fully over to it.

Anyone else noticed this? I've tried playing with EQ, input impedance etc but no luck

Is it any different with the AX8? Would rather not spend the money, but the funds would be there if need be

Thanks

Pete

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    Are the output levels exactly the same? It only takes a teeny drop in volume for everything to sound worse.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • peteripeteri Frets: 1283

Good point, and I'll re-check that. But it feels like more the frequency content - could of course be levels changing how the amp responds.

They're not massively different for sure

• SporkySporky Frets: 27985
    It does make a surprising difference to your perception of the sound - it's a classic way to win a shootout - make sure you're about 0.2dB louder than the competition.

I'm not saying there isn't or can't be a difference, but it's well worth making sure it's not just level messing with your brain. :)
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    I might agree here actually....

There are some GREAT buffers in the G2, and I still think that analogue pedals sound/feel better.

But, you do need to work on unity/volume adjustments for the Helix
  • When I was doing my comparisons early on with the Fractal, I found stuff wasn't identical and I preferred some sounds I had with my old setup, but in the end decided that the gains from such a neat solution far outweighed the 0.9% that was missing from the tone.

I hope that doesn't come across as cynical, it's not meant to. Nor am I saying that the Fractal tone is inferior, just different. Just saying that it's worth deciding if the difference you're hearing is worth the sending the Helix back and returning to your old setup or indeed moving to an AX8 (with which I guarantee you'll hear differences in other ways). Good luck!
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    Reverb in front of an amp sucks balls.

Always. No exceptions. Ever.
    4reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom

Thanks for that helpful and completely untrue comment. 

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 6reaction image Wisdom

I might agree here actually....

There are some GREAT buffers in the G2, and I still think that analogue pedals sound/feel better.

But, you do need to work on unity/volume adjustments for the Helix
    Thanks - will give it a go. 

• John_AJohn_A Frets: 3775

Tell that to Dick Dale :)
  • fretmeisterfretmeister Frets: 24183
    John_A said:

Tell that to Dick Dale :)
    I would!

But he appears to be slightly unhinged. So maybe an email.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • VaiaiVaiai Frets: 530
    I think an FX8 may be better as it's designed to be unity gain and it's just the FX from an Axe - I really liked mine before I got the Helix. Depends if you want to model a clean or if your are still using the amp (which it sounds like you are if you are in the front!)
  • WazmeisterWazmeister Frets: 9513
    Vaiai said:
    I think an FX8 may be better as it's designed to be unity gain and it's just the FX from an Axe - I really liked mine before I got the Helix. Depends if you want to model a clean or if your are still using the amp (which it sounds like you are if you are in the front!)
    True dat
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1810
    Helix can be configured to Unity gain by unassigning the Volume knob from the 1/4 outs (mine is set to control the Dig Out)
  • stratman3142stratman3142 Frets: 2192
    edited August 2017

Seems OK to me in front of my clean amp for live use.
    It's not a competition.
  • Drew_TNBDDrew_TNBD Frets: 22445

Dems fighting werds.
    welshboyo said:
    Helix can be configured to Unity gain by unassigning the Volume knob from the 1/4 outs (mine is set to control the Dig Out)
    Yes do this. If the volume knob is in the signal path going to the real amp, you'll be attenuating the tone going to the amp.
    welshboyo said:

Ah - I've done that already.

You can still apply gain in the preset clearly, so I don't think it's unity - more not messed with more than necessary

edited August 2017
    peteri said:
    welshboyo said:

You can still apply gain in the preset clearly, so I don't think it's unity - more not messed with more than necessary

Nah if you've done that and everything in the patch is set to 0.0dB then you're unity gain pretty much.

Can't say I've noticed any massive tonal differences with my amps. I've used the Helix in 4-cable-method with my 5150III-50watt, Orange Rockerverb MKIII, and Diezel D-Moll, and the amps all sound fantastic with the Helix. The only thing I need to do is use an Orchid Electronics transformer box to break up the ground loops.

I also notice that the Helix is FAAAAAAARRRRRRRR less noisy than my single stomps - which are all high quality.
  • welshboyowelshboyo Frets: 1810
    Drew_TNBD said:
    peteri said:
    welshboyo said:

Nah if you've done that and everything in the patch is set to 0.0dB then you're unity gain pretty much.

Can't say I've noticed any massive tonal differences with my amps. I've used the Helix in 4-cable-method with my 5150III-50watt, Orange Rockerverb MKIII, and Diezel D-Moll, and the amps all sound fantastic with the Helix. The only thing I need to do is use an Orchid Electronics transformer box to break up the ground loops.

I also notice that the Helix is FAAAAAAARRRRRRRR less noisy than my single stomps - which are all high quality.
    much the same here, no massive tonal differences in 4CM in either my Mesa, Bogner or borrowed amps (Blackstar mainly)

But there again I'd never run Reverb front end....
  • peteri said:

Thanks for that helpful and completely true comment. 

Ftfy
    " Why does it smell of bum?" Mrs Professorben.