Cioks Adam

menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699

I'm downsizing my pedaltrain jr to a metro 16 or nano plus.   I have a Voodoo Labs ISO 5 but it doesn't fit under the smaller pedalboards.

So I'm thinking of selling it to buy a slim psu that can go under my new board. The cioks adam looks a good candidate, but I've read that it is noisy, is this the case?

Is there any alternative, that easily mounts under a small board?  I'd like to add a deco, so would need a 250ma supply.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2425
    Yes, the Adam can be noisy. If you can afford it go for the DC5 which is a better ps and will fit nicely below a Nano type of board.
  • TimmyOTimmyO Frets: 7413

The cioks adam looks a good candidate, but I've read that it is noisy, is this the case?

ah this - it's one of those half-truths that gets misrepresented.

It comes from the demo showing the Adam vs the DC-5 and how much hum they each induce in a Wah pedal.
    The DC-5 induces less as it has a torroidal transformer that better contains its electromagnetic field.

Both supply clean, isolated 9v power which is not itself noise-inducing. 

Most folk don't realise that if you put a venerable Voodo Lab Pedal Power 2+ under a wah you get unbearable noise too. It's a thing. The DC-5 is simply very well engineered to reduce it, so if you have a wah mounted nearby it's a good option. 

The Adam is not noisy (unless a PP2+ is) 
    Red ones are better. 
  • BeexterBeexter Frets: 598

Is there any alternative, that easily mounts under a small board?  I'd like to add a deco, so would need a 250ma supply.
    The recent That Pedal Show episode of Matt Schofield's new board showed a solution for fitting a GigRig Generator under a Metro board. 
    I haven't tried it personally but I'm going to as mine currently sits on the top. 
  • BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    The Adam supply itself hums abit. Won't be apparent at gig levels. You'll hear it at quiet home volumes though. 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    edited August 2017
    I had a Cioks Schizophrenic which was pretty noisy. I wasn't just that pedals could not be mounted on top of it, but it generated enough noise to be picked up by single coil pickups 3 feet away. These are not cheap units. Personally, I'd avoid. 
  • timmysofttimmysoft Frets: 1962
    Mine is dead silent! No issues with hum at all, mounted under a nano, but I only use 3 pedals! 
  • LodiousLodious Frets: 1942
    I think all of the PSU's which don't have toroidal transformers are much the same. I ended going for a Helix as it did my head in reading different opinions on which PSU's were quiet and which were noisy :-)
  • menamestommenamestom Frets: 4699
    Lodious said:
    I think all of the PSU's which don't have toroidal transformers are much the same. I ended going for a Helix as it did my head in reading different opinions on which PSU's were quiet and which were noisy :-)
    Yeah, I've got a Helix, but want a small board for a few left over pedals, fir gigs where space is an issue.   Looking more hassle than it's worth at the moment and will probably cost a fortune.  I've been so happy with the Helix and this all reminds me of why I went in that direction in the first place....
  • Pete24vPete24v Frets: 235
    My Adam is totally silent. It spends a lot of time at home into my Champ 12, can't hear the transformer.. At rehearsals and small gigs there is no noise whatsoever. It's brilliant. 
  • ragingbenragingben Frets: 107
    I now run a DC5, mainly because of its small size. Really quiet and well built. 
  • Si_Si_ Frets: 384
    I found my Adam noisy when mixing Analogue and Digital pedals, in particular Strymon, but I think this is  a problem for a lot of PSUs. My current board is using an Adam and it's very quiet, no issues at all. 

• BranshenBranshen Frets: 1222
    Dc5 has higher current output. Before you go with the Adam, make sure it supplies enough current for your pedals, especially if they're digital.