Sartorial elegance in the workshop

What's Hot
I had my first play with a router out in my garage yesterday, which was great fun and is giving me more confidence before I attack my thinline to route out space for a neck humbucker.
Anyway... I got absolutely covered in shavings, chippings, and serious sawdust. What do you regular woodworkers wear so that you don't get killed by your partner for trampling it all through the house? Full on overalls over wellies?? I need help for the sake of family unity ;-)
Always be yourself! Unless you can be Batman, in which case always be Batman.
My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27452
    If I'm doing a lot of dirty work, whether in the workshop, garage or garden, I usually wear overalls.

Easy to take off before going back into the house, so leaving the mess outside, and don't have to worry about which shirts/jeans I'm going to wreck.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • BigMonkaBigMonka Frets: 1770
    Cheers @TTony - any recommendations for overalls?

My boss told me "dress for the job you want, not the job you have"... now I'm sat in a disciplinary meeting dressed as Batman.
    Mine would have been whatever Screwfix had in stock ...

http://www.screwfix.com/p/dickies-redhawk-zip-front-coverall-navy-medium-42-chest-30-l/18135

*2* front zips is most handy.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    @Gagaryn I'm not sure that footwear is suitable. But at least the leather cat suit is something I've already got, so don't need to take another trip to screwfix (coincidentally a very appropriate name for a bondagewear company!)

1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • FunkfingersFunkfingers Frets: 14422

You say, atom bomb. I say, tin of corned beef.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 28103
    Mostly I use a lot of dust extraction so the stuff never leaves the router, but that doesn't always work. So... I have a turner's smock (does up snugly around the neck) from Axminster, and shoes that I only use in the workshop, and I clean myself up with the dust extractor before I head back to the house.

The new workshop mostly stays clean enough that I don't have a separate set of workshop clothes any more, though I'll change into old stuff if I'm doing any staining or gluing.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    You clearly have a different version of the Screw Fix catalogue @Gagaryn ;
  • GagarynGagaryn Frets: 1553
    TTony said:
    You clearly have a different version of the Screw Fix catalogue @Gagaryn ;
    I have the horror version :-) That picture has haunted me for years so I share it at every opportunity in the hope that the memory leaves me.
  • octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33791
    I have a workshop coat.
  • CorvusCorvus Frets: 2925
    tFB Trader
    I don't have anything particular but mainly blame it on the dog. This could be an expensive solution though if you don't already have one.
    2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • RolandRoland Frets: 8701
    TTony said:
    overalls
    Sporky said:
     a turner's smock ... and I clean myself up with the dust extractor before I head back to the house.
    octatonic said:
    I have a workshop coat.
    Being a cheapskate I wear a sweat shirt which I take off, or brush down onto the workshop floor. 

If you're doing a lot of this type of work then a dust extractor is essential, not for the mess, but to protect your lungs. Loud music can mean losing your hearing in old age. Fine dust particles can mean that you don't reach old age.
    Tree recycler, and guitarist with  https://www.undercoversband.com/.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
    Roland said:
     Loud music can mean losing your hearing in old age. Fine dust particles can mean that you don't reach old age.
    So make sure that you turn the music up *loud* !!
    I've been using earbuds for music under my proper ear defenders - it gives a great listening experience actually!
    Roland said:
    TTony said:
    overalls
    Sporky said:
     a turner's smock ... and I clean myself up with the dust extractor before I head back to the house.
    octatonic said:
    I have a workshop coat.
    Being a cheapskate I wear a sweat shirt which I take off, or brush down onto the workshop floor. 

If you're doing a lot of this type of work then a dust extractor is essential, not for the mess, but to protect your lungs. Loud music can mean losing your hearing in old age. Fine dust particles can mean that you don't reach old age.
    That's true, and I should probably make better use of my dust mask (which is a proper one rather than the little flimsy paper ones). The amount of woodwork I do doesn't really call for an extraction system at the moment - but I can dream of a sporky like set-up one day! My current project (and first router use) is I'm currently using oak sleepers to build a porch :-)
  • Jimbro66Jimbro66 Frets: 2423
    I connect the hose of an old Vax Tub to the extraction outlet of my router which reduces the amount of dust and chippings considerably. That old Tub is great for cleaning up any mess after jobs and even deals with spills.