Wi-Fi puzzle - your assistance appreciated!

What's Hot

I have trouble with the Wi-Fi signal in my gaff due to foil-lined insulation in the walls, so I bought a set of Devolo extenders, I've got the base unit and four satellites. They seemed to work OK.

Earlier this year though, I changed from BT to Plusnet, and got a new Plusnet Wi-Fi router. I never bothered doing anything with the Devolo kit, as their LED lights came on with the new Plusnet router. But since then, the Wi-Fi signal hasn't seemed to be as good as it was with the BT Hub.

But the other day I noticed that when my iPad or phone is looking for a signal, as well as the Plusnet router, there's an address in the Wi-Fi connections available list which looks identical to the old BT Hub router, and it has has a very strong signal, probably the strongest of all those listed, but I cannot connect to it without a user name and password.

The questions are, is it possible that the Devolo units are still operating and broadcasting as if they were connected to the old BT Hub router?

And is the reason for the weaker Wi-Fi in the house because the mobile devices do not connect to their stronger signal because they haven't been paired?

And if so, do I then need to factory reset the Devolos and start the pairing process again to see if that solves the problem?

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• SporkySporky Frets: 27569
    Without wanting to sound flippant (I've had similar issues with Devolo and Virgin) I think the answer to every question is "yes". They probably cloned the original Wifi settings, so now you're only connecting devices to the base station, not to the extenders.

I deliberately gave my extra access points different network names so that I can use Netsetman to change printers and routing options based on where I am in Chateau McGuffin.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
  • chillidoggychillidoggy Frets: 17136

That makes sense.

I did search the Devolo site to see if I could find any trace of this kind of thing, but drew a blank.

But when you say 'base station', do you just mean the Plusnet hub, or the Devolo base station? It's impossible for me to tell, as they're both in the same room, and sitting next to each other.

• TTonyTTony Frets: 27342
    Just factory reset the Devolo units and set them up again with the new router.
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
  • SporkySporky Frets: 27569

But when you say 'base station', do you just mean the Plusnet hub, or the Devolo base station? It's impossible for me to tell, as they're both in the same room, and sitting next to each other.

The Plusnet one, sorry.
    "[Sporky] brings a certain vibe and dignity to the forum."
    Much obliged, gentlemen. I shall give it a go.

So far, so good. I've unplugged all the Powerlines and the BT Hub Wi-Fi has now disappeared. Just have to find out how to rename them the same as the router.

The Devolo manual shows different buttons to what mine have. Gave up for tonight. Bollocks!

• NiteflyNitefly Frets: 4901
    Ah shit - sounds like you've got the Chevolo chinese knock-offs...

2reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    Problem solved by my son, clever bastard. There's a Wi-if cloning setting in the software, so the mobile devices recognise all the repeaters and connect to the strongest signal without any problems. Thanks for all the previous advice, chaps!

• bbill335bbill335 Frets: 1368
    Problem solved by my son, clever bastard.
    It's not like that's his fault!!