Perfect acoustic guitar? (Similar to the playability of PRS and Suhr, with similar build quality)

What's Hot
2»

Comments

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    Auden make the necks thinner on some of their guitars to make them more appealing to electric players. If you want brands that push boundaries, I'd suggest Turnstone Guitars, as has already been mentioned. They aren't cheap, but very good and highly configurable. Another option would be a Patrick Eggle acoustic, as he tries different approaches.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • SassafrasSassafras Frets: 30289
  • I recall trying a Rainsong acoustic at a show many years ago and being very impressed.

Seemed to address all the potential issues with acoustics such as wood being subject to temperature changes/humidity etc and sounded great without appearing too plastic.

http://www.rainsong.com/

0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 1reaction image Wisdom
  • fobfob Frets: 1430
    PRS make acoustics. I've never tried one but I know someone who has who said it was perfect. That was a real-deal one though and I don't think they're cheap (£4-5k from memory). They do an SE version though.
  • I've been racking my brains about this one guys. Thanks for all the suggestions.  I briefly considered saving for a PRS, but I'm not sure it's for me. Also considered going custom with a British luthier, but again, not sure it's the right fit for me.

So it comes down to the Martin 00018 and a Taylor 814ce (or Deluxe which looks great too). Both completely different guitars, I know, but I think the Taylor is edging it. I've yet to try that particular model, but am looking to get my hands on one soon. It's the elctronics that are swaying me and the tone sounds about right for my tastes, at least in video's, I really need to try it to know for sure. All 'round, it seems like a more modern guitar that suits my tastes and requirements. What do you guys think of the 814?
    Read my guitar/gear blog at medium.com/redchairriffs

View my feedback at www.thefretboard.co.uk/discussion/comment/1201922
  • ICBMICBM Frets: 72235
    I would avoid buying a guitar with onboard electronics, unless you really (really) need it as a stage guitar and you don't mind about long-term reliability or obsolescence.

Especially Taylor, since their Expression systems aren't compatible with any other systems in the event of failures or parts unavailability in the future.

It's much better to get a good acoustic guitar and fit it with a simple pickup system and outboard electronics, in my opinion… based on many repairs.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• @ICBM, I don't think Taylors come without, do they?

@ICBM, I don't think Taylors come without, do they?
    Yes, but annoyingly not the cutaway ones except by special order… which costs more even though they must be cheaper to make! I asked about one years ago.

To be fair, I have not yet come across the reliability problems with the new ES2 system that I have with the original version.

"Take these three items, some WD-40, a vise grip, and a roll of duct tape. Any man worth his salt can fix almost any problem with this stuff alone." - Walt Kowalski

"Only two things are infinite - the universe, and human stupidity. And I'm not sure about the universe." - Albert Einstein

• That's annoying then! @ICBM  incidentally, what's your preferred pickup system?

That's annoying then! @ICBM  incidentally, what's your preferred pickup system?
    At the moment, either the K&K Pure Mini, or a standard undersaddle piezo feeding a Fishman Aura or Boss AD-8.

• ThorpyFXThorpyFX Frets: 6118
    tFB Trader
    TimmyO said:
    First thing I think of when you say electric style neck on acoustic is Brook 
    Agreed, my father in law has a brook torridge and it plays so easily that the neck feels like an electric does. Sublime instrument in every way.
    Adrian Thorpe MBE | Owner of ThorpyFx Ltd | Email: thorpy@thorpyfx.com | Twitter: @ThorpyFx | Facebook: ThorpyFx Ltd | Website: www.thorpyfx.com
  • Thanks @ICBM. You've got me thinking about the Martin now instead!

Which is the better all rounder? Chords, blues and flat picking? (Can't play fingertyle for shit but would like to learn)

• CarpeDiemCarpeDiem Frets: 288
    I'd suggest that you try both the Martin and the Taylor, ideally where you can A/B them. Also check what strings are fitted as this could make a difference as per @ICBM earlier comment. I'd go for the Taylor, but this is simply down to personal preference.
  • I tried a Rainsong today it. It sounded nice but it was too ugly to really consider.

I also tried this Maestro:

http://www.promenademusic.co.uk/Maestro-Victoria-K-CSB-C

It was terrific. Really played well and I loved the soundport, a really nice idea. Resale value though? A hard sell, I imagine.
    Trading feedback info here

My band, Red For Dissent
  • So I managed to get a bargain on a Talor 814 CE Deluxe and it's absolutely stunning! Thanks all for your advice. It may not be the alternative guitar I was looking for, but it's got some unique features and has that typical Taylor innovation that I was dreaming of...thanks again!

0reaction image LOL 1reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • That looks stunning!!!
  • For me hands the more easy to play are Taylors guitars. Nice low action and when you do a bendings is very similar than a electic guitar. But, is only my opnion...or taste. I have played some Yamahas very nice, but for ,me sounds better Taylors.
    Good lucky
  • @thomasross20 thank you, it is a beautiful guitar and a week on, I'm really happy with it :-) Sounds sublime.

@sakuarius102, I agree, my old Yamaha was nice, but doesn't get close to the Taylor IMO.