Lost iLok- this could be interesting.

What's Hot
So one of my iLoks has gone missing.
Fortunately it isn't my main one- that would be a complete disaster.
But I do have a second iLok with duplicate licenses on it (most companies give you two licenses) that I use with my portable.
So I can still work but moving sessions between computers is going to be a pain in the ass and I really don't want to risk losing my main one, which stays inserted into a USB slot on the Mac and never gets removed.

I've turned the house upside down trying to find it and it just isn't here.
I suspect it has been knocked off a shelf in the studio and then gone into the vacuum cleaner.

So I now get to negotiate the PACE RMA process and then beg Slate, Kush, Soundtoys and Eventide for duplicate licenses.

This thread is a document about how easy or difficult that process will be.
I fully expect there will be some hoops to jump through but I am hoping it isn't so difficult that I lose my mind.
Stay tuned.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• octatonicoctatonic Frets: 33783
    Crisis over.
    Nothing like posting a thread like this to make an iLok turn up.

Our housekeeper found it and put it in a drawer for safekeeping.
    3reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • TTonyTTony Frets: 27435
    edited August 2017
    octatonic said:

Our housekeeper found it and put it in a drawer for safekeeping.
    I had a similar problem last week.

Thought one of the cars had been nicked.

Turns out that the new chauffeur had taken it over to the wine cellar to replenish the drinks cabinet rather than telling the sommelier to bring the wine to the car.

Staff!
    Having trouble posting images here?  This might help.
    24reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • mgawmgaw Frets: 5258
    cant help feeling @octatonic has to endure some horrendous situations, and here was me thinking i had it hard:)
  • I think I'm too common for this forum.
    It's not a competition.
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
    LOL, you guys....
    My gamekeeper is going to shoot the lot of you.
    7reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:

My PA turned the house upside down trying to find it and it just isn't here.
    FTFY
    My trading feedback

is it crazy how saying sentences backwards creates backwards sentences saying how crazy it is?

octatonic said:

FTFY
    I don't have a PA.
    We do have an Au Pair- which is weird because we don't have children.
    edited August 2017
    Further to this- I've discovered a brilliant solution to avoid losing iLoks and other USB authorisation keys.
    There is a piece of software called 'Virtual Here' which enables you to share USB ports across the internet.
    I have a Synology NAS in the house that has 3 USB ports.
    I run Virtual Here as a service on my NAS, plug my iLoks and USB keys into the NAS.

Then, anywhere in the world provided I have an internet connection, I can connect to it via a small piece of client software.

If you don't have a NAS then you can run the server software from any computer.

So my very valuable iLok keys can remain in the house.

https://www.virtualhere.com is the website. I think an unrestricted license is $49 USD.
    This is a much, much better solution to iLok's ZDT cover, which is frankly useless if you lose an iLok, rather than it breaking.
    0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 2reaction image Wisdom
  • BridgehouseBridgehouse Frets: 24579
    We live in the fens. We have a 12 fingered maid.
  • DLMDLM Frets: 2513
    octatonic said:
    octatonic said:

FTFY
    I don't have a PA.
    We do have an Au Pair- which is weird because we don't have children.
    That's not weird at all: Mrs Oct is away on business a lot, isn't she? ;)
    1reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom
  • octatonic said:
    Further to this- I've discovered a brilliant solution to avoid losing iLoks and other USB authorisation keys.
    There is a piece of software called 'Virtual Here' which enables you to share USB ports across the internet.
    I have a Synology NAS in the house that has 3 USB ports.
    I run Virtual Here as a service on my NAS, plug my iLoks and USB keys into the NAS.

Then, anywhere in the world provided I have an internet connection, I can connect to it via a small piece of client software.

If you don't have a NAS then you can run the server software from any computer.

So my very valuable iLok keys can remain in the house.

https://www.virtualhere.com is the website. I think an unrestricted license is $49 USD.
    This is a much, much better solution to iLok's ZDT cover, which is frankly useless if you lose an iLok, rather than it breaking.
    Thanks for the tip. I'm always nervous of taking mine out the house
    Sorry @Cabicular.
    I should have updated this thread.
    Virtual Here has been a royal pain in the ass and I've stopped using it.
    First it crashed my NAS.
    Then when I resurrected the NAS I've struggled to get it to give up an iLok.
    Basically once you make a connection with it you cannot make a connection from a different computer unless you remove the iLok and reboot the NAS.
    This technically isn't the fault of Virtual Here but rather just how iLok works.
    Apparently the fix is to use a powered hub attached to an internet enabled power board.
    You cycle the power on the power board which disconnects the hub and therefore the iLok and it reconnects.

That is too much fucking about for me.
    I believe that iLok are looking at eventually enabling remote authorisations- it cannot come soon enough for me.
  • octatonic said:
    Sorry @Cabicular.
    I should have updated this thread.
    Virtual Here has been a royal pain in the ass and I've stopped using it.
    First it crashed my NAS.
    Then when I resurrected the NAS I've struggled to get it to give up an iLok.
    Basically once you make a connection with it you cannot make a connection from a different computer unless you remove the iLok and reboot the NAS.
    This technically isn't the fault of Virtual Here but rather just how iLok works.
    Apparently the fix is to use a powered hub attached to an internet enabled power board.
    You cycle the power on the power board which disconnects the hub and therefore the iLok and it reconnects.

That is too much fucking about for me.
    I believe that iLok are looking at eventually enabling remote authorisations- it cannot come soon enough for me.
    Well I appreciate the update :) pity
    I could plug it into my home server and then write a bit of management code to stop and start the USB service via a remote command but as you say.. we are getting into diminishing returns