Recording gigs with a ZOOM Q4n

FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
I've often used a cheap Chinese action-camera to record my gigs, and it's served me fairly well for the past few months - however, it's started to crap out a bit lately, so I've been looking at getting another means.

One of the main things I was looking to improve upon was the recorded sound - while it wasn't 'bad' with the action-cam, it certainly wasn't great...

...and that led me to the ZOOM Q4. Managed to find one under £200, and it's being delivered tomorrow, just in time for our gig tomorrow night.

Anyone else used one? I've heard a lot of good things about it, and the Q2.
0reaction image LOL 0reaction image Wow! 0reaction image Wisdom

Comments

• I have one and have recorded rehearsals with it. Our mates band the Noizedoctorz have recorded live pub gigs on theirs. They have some on youtube. The sound is great and it has quite a wide angle lens. The only issues Ive had is the gain on the mics only has 3 settings, low medium and high so it's always either too high or too low and needs altering afterwards which can be a pain in the arse if you're not great eith video and audio software. It's an easy solution to recording a gig but not perfect. My main issue with recording with it is that we all play terribly when we know the camera is there.

• FarleyUKFarleyUK Frets: 2377
    Cheers!

The Q4n (so it's the updated version of the one I thought I'd ordered!) arrived 10 mins before I had to leave for the gig - so didn't have a lot of time to play around with it, but here's a video I took form the gig (excuse the poor playing and poor levels - the place was bad for areas to set the camera up!):

https://www.facebook.com/daryl.greaves/videos/vb.673325436/10159275398065437/?type=2&theater